CK1 Light switching

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
oasiz

CK1 Light switching

Post by oasiz »

Hello,

First post and I would like to say that thanks for all the tools and patches!
I was so suprised that keen modding has been made so easy compared to NES mario hacking or alikes :)

I am currenly in progress of making my first mod for CK1 that will replace most of the common elemets (graphics, sprites some sounds as I go etc..), even changing some gameplay aspects.

What I would need for my mod that would also open up a lot of possibilities is a lightswitch that gets auto-triggered when you enter a tile.

Preferably to make it so that switch on/off would respectively be replaced as light on/off (auto trigger on touch)

Possible uses if done with seperate on/off tiles are:
- Entering indoors would change to lights off palette and going away would trigger lights back on.
- Falling to a teleport would yield a palette change (remember, lights :) ) and make the process appear a lot more smoother with in-level teleporting.
- An outdoor level might benefit from a day/night change.
- Imagine levels where you constantly get lights going out to harden the gameplay.

I know some 6502/65816 assembly, but that is not enough when dealing with x86 assembly and foreign system operation etc..

Right now I can spare 4th keycard, all other score-items except +100 +200 point items (already used with other stuff), light switch and switch on/off. Using a sprite would be wonderful as well as I could place those over already-existing tiles!

Even making the switch work on touch would help a lot, I could circle around using two by placing it to a place where you fall (thus only making it one-way and preventing "surfing" back/forth inside the tile to make it give wrong light values inside or outside).

And a bonus explaining briefly one gameplay tweak with pictures :)
(This works by touching the invisible block, turning it solid and walkable (4th doesn't require a key)
I use this trick to enable access to "continue teleports" that teleport you far in to a level if you reached a checkpoint (gives a key)
Red spheres give access to shortcuts
Blue spheres give access to 'swirlies' (seen on right)
'Swirlies' has currently have no real purpose but I will make up an miserable excuse on why you should collect them later on :)
(fourth 'swirlie' Doesn't exist yet, showing the 'swirlie' taken tile instead.

More pictures (screenshots) at: http://62.78.137.12/pic/?b=keenmod

I am planning on making around 4-6 solid levels that each have unique some unique twists to them. So this light trick would help a lot :)

Thanks!
lemm

Post by lemm »

Welcome Oasiz!

There is a plan to include 16 palettes each of 16 colours into the next multiple tileset patch. Once that is sorted out, palette tricks like color cycle animation and dynamic fading between the palettes should all be doable.

Mod looks neat, hope to play it soon.
oasiz

Post by oasiz »

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Sounds very good!
16 individual palettes + tilesets would open up a lot of possibilities! :)

Any estimates on how long this is going to take?
As in, "just finalizing bug squashing" or "taking concept to reality" ?

And here is a link for an early preview that I have distributed among friends, Contains the whole project folder and is _pretty_ horridly organized. Just run go.bat with dosbox or alike. I don't really mind releasing unfinished stuff as I appreciate criticism (It has so far motivated me to change some elements for the better.)

http://62.78.137.12/1MOD.zip
Go to the black 4 squares to trigger the level (world map is a terrible horrible awful placeholder)