CKPATCH header offset

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Fleexy
Site Admin

CKPATCH header offset

Post by Fleexy »

I know CKPATCH has some sort of data offset. I need to know this offset for FPCK2F (FPatch utility: CKpatch [to] F). If I simply convery the values, it will mess up (I tried). Could someone please tell me how far to shift the addresses and which direction? Thanks in advance! :)
levellass

Post by levellass »

In fact what CKPatch does is ignore the executable header I believe. Lemm says it is 512 bytes. I shall not argue.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

I take it you're trying to apply patches directly to the EXE? I tried that once, and things didn't line up neatly. In some areas there was more to the CKPatch dump than just cutting out the header.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Works fine for me. And it patches a temporary copy of the EXE.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I take it you're trying to apply patches directly to the EXE? I tried that once, and things didn't line up neatly. In some areas there was more to the CKPatch dump than just cutting out the header.
Well yes, certain things are changed when you copy an executable that references everything relative to its location in a file, into memory where everything must be referenced by its location in said memory. This is more obvious in the Keen Galaxy engines which need RW\RL patches.