Some patch requests...

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Solution 1: Use a different death animation for the common enemies. It's a sacrifice, but big explosions can describe a large variety of enemy deaths.

Solution 2: Do either the common enemies using the animation, or the boss jump high? You *might* be able to get away with drawing one solid pink line at the bottom of the collision box. Keen would then shoot over the dying body. If the dying body was in the air (you'd have to bounce it up when you killed it) or on a ledge above keen, there's a chance keen would be able to shoot it. If you make the collision on keen's shot a single horizontal line say in the middle of the sprite, then you can make odds of those connecting close to nil. As in you'd have to have incredible shooting skills to make that shot.

However, if you're using the machine gun patch, then all bets are off.
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

That's the problem, I don't know how to make it bounce up and solution 1 doesn't work, because I'm using the vorticon death for vorticons, butler bots and tank bots, and the bots don't have their own death frames. I think the only way to do this is modifying the boss patch, and only LL or Lemm could do that. I don't use the machine gun patch.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

My point was if you somehow had it bouncing it would cause your problem. Assuming I understand you correctly, you don't want it bouncing. Now I can't make all the bots stop pausing the game for a second when they get hit, but I can stop them from falling off the bottom of the screen, or falling through a block. In order to do that, your vorticon death sprite has to have the same dimensions as the other sprites. if your other sprites are bigger, then you have to expand the vorticon death sprite frame to make it the same size as the other sprites.

Example: Tank sprite is 24x40 (x times y). Vorticon death sprite is 12x10. When the vorticon death sprite is spawned after the tank is hit, the vorticon will spawn in the upper left corner. It will then fall (40-10 = 30) pixels until its collision box hits the ground. Then after the check you said it was turning back into the tank or some other sprite. Well, after the check, the death sprite disapears, and the new sprite spawns in the upper left corner of the old sprite. If that new sprite is the tank, then 24x30 of that sprite is within the block the dead sprite was standing on. When this happens, the game will act as if the block the sprite is in doesn't exist, and the sprite will fall until its collision box hits the next block, causing your problem.

To fix this, extend the vorticon death frame to be 12x40. Move the sprite to the bottom of the frame. Move the collison box so that it is touching the bottom of the frame. This way, when the death sprite spawns, it will spawn in the exact same place as the old sprite. Yes you have a lot of empty space, but assuming you just moved your sprite and didn't add anything to it, you shouldn't see a difference.

Making sure that you can do this and not have your boss get shot again after it dies, causing the game to never end, is very simple.
After you've done the above, change the collision box ONLY on the animated death sprites to a horizontal line, one pixel high, across the bottom of the frame. Then change the collision box of keen's shot animations so that its also a single horizontal line, doing directly across the middle of the sprite. Since you haven't altered the speed that keen can fire at, there's no way the player can screw up the game by hitting the dead boss sprite.

Problems:

1. This doesn't stop the pause and check for every dead vorticon issue. The game will still pause when a tank bot gets shot.

2. In order for the changing death sprite size method to work, EVERY sprite that uses the death sprite must have the same size frame as the death sprite. This means that if you have your butler bot frame smaller than your tank bot frame, you're are going to have to extend the frame on all the butler bot animations. One way or another, all of those sprites have to have the same size frame as the biggest sprite. Needless to say this may take a long time..... so grab a soda, get some candy, turn on some music and get cracking.

Good Luck!

Stealthy
levellass

Post by levellass »

Code: Select all

#Ship items don't give parts (But we can make them give something else!)
%patch $4448 $94 $AA $00 #Joystick
%patch $4454 $9C $AA $00 #Battery
%patch $4460 $96 $AA $00 #Vacum
%patch $446C $98 $AA $00 #Everclear

#Change the score amount that items give Keen when collected
%patch $4471 $40 $9C
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

LL: The patch doesn't work, it instead lowers your score by 25536...
Stealthy: Thanks to you, I now know why it happened. Since the tank bot and the vorticon sprites will be the same (they're unchanged now), that probably means after I import the new sprites, it will work okay, right? Let's just wait for MMS' return.
Thanks!
levellass

Post by levellass »

Ooop, the problem here (As I suspected) is that the amount you want to raise is too high, the maximum score increase is $7FFFW, or 32767, anything bigger is seen as negative. If you want, I can make a more complex patch that will increase your score by the amount you wanted.

Code: Select all

#Parts give 40'000 points, not parts
%patch $4440 $83 $7E $F6 $0B $74 $24 #Stop getting parts
             $83 $7E $F6 $0C $74 $1E
             $83 $7E $F6 $0D $74 $18
%patch $4454 $9C $AA $00
%patch $446A $83 $06 $CC $AA $01 $90 #Fix score
%patch $4471 $40 $9C                 #40'000 = $9C40, change this
This patch should work. As long as your added score is above 32'000 changing that last line will let you change the added point score up to a maximum of 64'000 Larger amount will need a change to the score fix line.
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

Thanks, this one works.