Some patch requests...

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Nospike

Some patch requests...

Post by Nospike »

You finish the vorticon commander level by killing the vorticon
commander.

Thanks for help! I am a total noob when it comes to patching and I need the patch for my mod.
Last edited by Nospike on Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I'm working on three patches, unless Lemm wants to take some time out of his schedule to code it up (Which he could probably do better than I can, so I'll wait a few days before doing anything major.)

In the meantime this is the game ending conditions: (Use only ONE of the last two patches!)

Code: Select all

#Level on which vorticon commander appears   
%patch $1813 $10

#For 16 levels:
#What we need before we can win:
%patch $8037 $C4 $AA $00 $74 #(Replaces Whiskey)

#With 32 level patch:
#What we need before we can win:
%patch $8037 $B5 $AA $00 $74 #(Replaces Whiskey)
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

OK, thanks! I tried it, and it's working. Now I need the kill VC to end VC level patch.
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

I still need the patch to kill vorticon commander to exit his level. It's really important! You can leave the King G. patch if you want, but I really need this one.
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

Levellass, you should quit "waiting a few days before doing anything major" by now. Without the vorticon commander level finishing patch, I can't work on the mod.
levellass

Post by levellass »

AUGH! I thought I'd posted this weeks ago! Why didn't anyone tell me nothing came up? Next time email me or something! I don't know how this slipped past me!

Well, thanks to Lemm I have managed to improve this patch somewhat. As it works now, if you shoot a Vort, it will freeze in its first death frame for a bit. If Keen is in level x, the level will end. If not, the Vort will recover and chase after Keen again. Another shot will then kill it properly.

You may want to remove the border flash and sound for the stunning and set the timer low, so the player doesn't notice the 'stun' the Vorticon goes through.

Code: Select all

#Killing a Vorticon on level x causes level to end:
#SIDE EFFECT: First death noises and v=border flash remain.
#yy is pause before exit\recovery (Try $50 $00)
#Change $01 in 3rd line of code to $02 to teleport exit
#$0004 in 1st row is sprite property (Kill Keen) for stunned sprite

#New death behavior code:
#SIDE EFFECT: Disables joystick config winow
%patch $4AF9 $C3 $55 $8B $EC $C7 $06 $20 $82 $04 $00 $A1 $4A $82 $03 $06 $14
             $5B $A3 $4A $82 $3D $yy $yy $7E $13 $83 $3E $04 $83 $xx $75 $06
             $C7 $06 $60 $6C $01 $00 $C7 $06 $52 $82 $15 $1D $5D $C3

#'Real' death code:
#Sound $0022, death anim $0052, death frames $0006
%patch $4B27 $55 $8B $EC $56 $57 $8B $76 $04 $8B $7E $06 $83 $3D $0A $74 $05
             $83 $3D $0B $75 $27 $C7 $44 $2A $00 $00 $C7 $44 $2C $06 $00 $C7
             $44 $28 $52 $00 $C7 $44 $32 $9D $48 $C7 $44 $34 $60 $33 $C7 $44
             $22 $B0 $FF $B8 $22 $00 $50 $E8 $92 $73 $44 $44 $5F $5E $5D $C3

#Dead Vort now stuns for a time instead:
%patch $1DAD $FA $4A #Shot Vort
%patch $2363 $FA $4A #Chain Vort
%patch $1DA3 $52 $00 #Shot Vort stun anim
%patch $2359 $52 $00 #Chain Vort stun anim

#Dead Vorticon does 'normal' Vort death when shot:
%patch $1DA8 $27 $4B
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

It doesn't work... CKpatch doesn't accept the $yy and $xx things. I tried running it without the patch containing these (the "New death behavior code") and when I killed the vorticon commander, the game crashed with an "Out of memory, try unloading TSRs" error. I'm using this for an another mod (Botafloria) and I want to make the final boss awesome.
And I'm now also in need of an another patch... When you kill a vorticon, it spawns both a dead vorticon and a live yorp.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Uh, you're supposed to replace $xx with the level to end if its shot in and $yy with the delay before it lives again.
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

sometimes I think I'm blind, thanks :D
HOORAY, IT WORKS! this patch is totally awesome!
but... I need an another patch... :X

I promise this is the last Vorticon patch I want. (Because Vorticon patches are disgustingly complex, especially the ones only affecting the vorticon commander.) The vorticon commander has to do only small jumps, a little higher than the Yorp jumps, but smaller than the Vorticon jumps. Normally something like a "vorticon commander jumps like a yorp" patch would do, but I've patched the yorps so they are crazy... (jumps extra high and moves fast) And where's the problem? Ordinary vorticons must not jump at all.
Thanks to this forum, and the Patch Index, I have been able to...
MAKE MOST OF THE PATCHES MYSELF! It's fun and exciting!
I wrote more info about the mod in the PCKF topic, if anyone is interested.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Right, now let's be clear on this.

What you want, basically, are for Vorticons and Vorticon Commanders to be two separate sprites. The Vorticons will not jump, but the Commanders will. This will thus be more complex than just patching ALL Vorticons, since we want them to do different things.

If I missed something, please tell me, otherwise this may take a bit of doing.
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

That's okay, I didn't really need this patch anyway. I think patching the vorticons max jump height and playtesting a bit will do.
But I still need the patch that when vorticons die, they spawn both a dead vorticon and a live yorp.
I have a question here: How do you make two things happen on a sprite event? Like "patched tankbot is stomped - make a dead vorticon and a stomped yorp". I think I will use more patches like this, however, I still consider myself a patching noob. Lol, I don't even use a hexeditor.
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

Aw, nuts! I've run into a big problem with LL's vorticon commander patch! :(
The patch itself works perfectly, BUT, before dying, the Vorticon uses its first dying sprite before exiting the level. If I shoot the Vorticon in that state, it dies normally and the level doesn't exit. So I'm stuck in a level with a dead final boss and with no way of exiting.
Maybe a patch that makes shooting a dead vorticon in level X exit the level would work, but that would require lots of work and all LL's efforts would be in vein.
So is there any way to fix this? (The boss has a lot of lives, so you have to shoot loads of bullets quickly before it gets too close and you don't know when it will die, so in 95% cases you kill the dying sprite and get stuck.)
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Easy non-patching way to fix this. Go into the sprite graphics for the vorticon, and completely eliminate all of the pink collision boxes. After the vorticon is killed, Keen's shots will no longer collide with the dead vorticon body.

Edit: If I saw this a long time ago, I would have told you sooner, sorry!
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

Never thought about this. My mind = blown. Thanks!
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

Oh no, I got a very annoying bug I can't seem to iron out. AGAIN.
The problem is, due to Levellass' vorticon commander patch, every time a dead vorticon is spawned, it remains stationary with the "air synth" frame (the game checks if the level number is 16 at this point, and if it is, then it exits the level and marks it as done). Then it recovers and needs to be shot again to die properly. However, when the vorticon recovers, it falls through the tile it's standing on and either falls (if the lower tile is non-solid) or starts walking on the lower tile (if the lower tile is solid). This must be fixed, I don't need it *yet*, but in the later levels (where enemies using the vort death frames appear) this would cause problems with level design, as it probably can't be fixed just by editing the level or the vorticon hitbox.
+ I need a patch that makes ship parts give you 40000 points, but NOT the part. I'd make some of these patches myself, but I'm still a noob.