black tiles

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Stickmanofdoom

black tiles

Post by Stickmanofdoom »

are any of the black tiles at the bottom of the "tile list" for keen 1 used? I'd like to know before i start changing them.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

Not as far as I know. So go ahead and change them. And if you find that one of the levels looks wrong as a result, you can fix that level by using a different black tile.
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

But just as advice for modding, if you're using the black tiles as black tiles in your game, it's best if all of the black tiles are a single one (rather than picking and choosing different black tiles for different parts on your map). That way, if you need to alter some of those black tiles later, you're not racking your brain, thinking "Which ones did I use in my game already?" and finding out that your black night ground is covered in purple stars or something later on.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

I would use the 'normal' black tile, same than used in the game. :)
XkyRauh

re: black tiles

Post by XkyRauh »

man... i remember when i was working on my Keen1 mod, i actually went through and wiped EVERYTHING out and numbered all the blocks A1, A2, A3, A4, etc... so i could go into the game and see which blocks were used, and which were ignored.

in fact, if you ModKeen my Keen1 mod and open my 1TIL0001.bmp file, you'll see the title screen image of Mortimer all spliced up and squeezed in ^_^;; that was the very last thing i added to the mod!

((also keep in mind that i didn't use TileInfo for my mod at all))

i'm doing the same thing to a lesser extent on my Keen2 mod, i've already designated 20 or 30 tiles that aren't necessary for the main map screen so i get to add lots of extras (my Keen1 mod's map screen was horrid.)

anyway, trial and error is always the best solution :-) it's not like it takes Keen1 a long time to load... hehe

--Xky
JosephBurke

Post by JosephBurke »

I think there's more than one, can't say for sure anymore though; if I were to guess, two maybe three.
Stickmanofdoom

re: black tiles

Post by Stickmanofdoom »

Thanks! it's great to have so many people in a very active forum that are so helpful. another question: what did you change first, the sprites, tiles, or levels?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

My working style may not be so good, I should do more planning.
But first I start by changing some tiles, and start building levels. I build and build, and make new stuff for the levels and add it later. Then I'll do the sprites. And then the other stuff; menus, font etc..
Good luck!
Yowza

Post by Yowza »

I wouldn't exactly call us a 'very active forum' :P
JosephBurke

Post by JosephBurke »

If I had to stick to a plan I'd stick to this one.

1 - Create the games general concept, which includes, foes, tiles ideas, and level concepts.
2 - Create the sprites.
3 - Create the tiles.
4 - Create the levels.
5 - Change the games menus and do the end sequence.
6 - Editing, change or recreate levels where needed, while also using up the rest of the tiles to add more detail, to the world.
7 - Test game and release if ready.
XkyRauh

re: order

Post by XkyRauh »

Joe, you and I think a lot alike :-)

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Argh, how you can do the sprites first? It's so boooring I can never do that.. :)
grelphy

keen modding

Post by grelphy »

1. work out general concept, draw ideas for sprites, etc.

2. All at once, through a big period of time:
2.a. Edit tiles
2.b. Edit sprites
2.c.1. Design levels
2.c.2. Build levels

3. patch

4. Title/ending screens

5. Test

6. Modify

7. Return to 5

8. Distribute

9. Repeat

As for the original question, I beleive the black tiles at the bottom of the CK1 tileset, except for the Earth and Mars and Mothership (duh) are all available.