Need Patches!!

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Need Patches!!

Post by Fleexy »

OK, I need some patches for my mod. I will post them here when I think of more. Currently, I need all creatures (besides Keen) to use the Vorticon's death. I need this to clear space for sprites. Then, would it be possible for everything (besides Keen) to have strength? Only the first one is imminent. When I need more I'll post them here. So, is it possible?

EDIT: Got the "Everything uses Vorticon death" one, any luck on the other?
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Sorry for double post, but now I need the Chain to be solid (as in a block).

It's really neccesary!
levellass

Post by levellass »

There is an edit command, this should allow you to add patches to your first post without needing a second.

Thankfully for once, all these patches are pretty standard and can be worked out with data from the patch index -> keen 1 -> sprite patches. However, I must ask what you mean by 'clear space for sprites'; if you need some spare code space, we can use say, the joystick configuration code, which nobody uses to fit quite a bit of data in. (Given that you're asking for these patches though, I doubt this is what you mean.)

First up, making the chain push (There are no sprites that are 'solid' as such, only pushers. If you want Keen to be able to stand on a chain there's not much for it but to encase it in a solid block. )

Code: Select all

#Chain pushes Keen:
%patch $18EE $05 $00
And the Vorticon death thing

Code: Select all

#All sprites die like a Vort:
%patch $18D9 $6E $1D #Yorp
%patch $1876 $6E $1D #Garg
%patch $17CB $6E $1D #Push bot
%patch $176D $6E $1D #Tank bot
%patch $1916 $6E $1D #Chain
The next request is far more difficult, since strengths are set at sprite spawning point and the code is of a fixed length. If it is to be done, it will need to use extra space, most likely this would come from rearranging part of the Yorp's code, and would involve me writing a file for you to patch into Keen. I shall see what I can do, but would like more information on what it is you're trying to do.
Last edited by levellass on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Thanks! I was trying to make a shootable block out of the chain. I think it would be possible to make at least one other have strength, somewhere (I think) you made a Garg-has-strength patch. :)
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

levellass wrote:the joystick configuration code, which nobody uses
Where do you get this idea? I use a gamepad occasionally when actually playing Keen, and the joystick code is definitely necessary.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Indeed, but how often is it needed? It can always be configured by playing Keen without a patch file, then the game run *with* the patch, it is, as it were, expendable. I'm also looking for the LZW compression code, which is NEVER used, except in the original game.

Hmmmn, a shootable block-chain, that may require investigation...

I believe I gave the Garg strength by making it use the Vorticon death, but I cannot remember.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

levellass wrote:I believe I gave the Garg strength by making it use the Vorticon death, but I cannot remember.
Now everything uses Vort death. So can everything have strength? *runs application BEG4PTCH.EXE*
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

levellass wrote:It can always be configured by playing Keen without a patch file, then the game run *with* the patch, it is, as it were, expendable.
Ah, indeed. An acceptable solution, as long as it's documented somewhere.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I don't know, I have a vague feeling that would be cheating somehow.

Now everything uses Vort death. So can everything have strength? *runs application BEG4PTCH.EXE*
No, deaths and strengths are different. The way it works is as follows 'IF you are hit by something your DEATH says hurts you, lose one STRENGTH. If STRENGTH = 0 then die like your DEATH tells you to.'