Vortimoms getting stuck in wall like Vorticons

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Stealthy71088

Vortimoms getting stuck in wall like Vorticons

Post by Stealthy71088 »

My vortimoms are acting funny and I can't figure out why. They are walking over to the right wall, (one brick high, although ive tried two bricks with no difference) turning around and getting stuck. They'll shoot at the wall, and keep travelling to left but moving no where. They're acting just like the vorticons when the vorticons glitch.

I can't figure out what is causing this. I've tried turning off my patches, and no effect. The artwork and thus shadow is changed for the sprite, but the collsion box is identical to the original vortimom. I also haven't changed the size of the vortimom at all.

I checked the two different tiles around the vortimom. One of them is set to nothing, and the other one blocks everything and thus makes up the wall. Normal vortimoms don't act like this, but the only thing different between the two is the graphics. What am I doing wrong?
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

With a little help from Xky I figured it out. I had turned off all the vortimom patches, but I hadn't turned off patches that had nothing to do with the vortimom. The patch that was causing the problem was:

Code: Select all

# Set the raygun to give Keen ten shots to be fair.
%patch $44A4  $10
You're welcome to try to figure out how this makes sense. :)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

First I thought it's a pretty staightforward patch, none with 20 times double zero or so, which usually causes problems somewhere else.

I checked the patch index to be sure: You were using the raygun patch for Keen 1 in Keen 3. That's not gonna work. Unfortunately I can't help you with finding out the patch if you still need it, if levellass is reading this she's usually fast in finding it.

Edit: I should look closer before I write.

Here's the patch:

Code: Select all

#Raygun gives Keen 10 shots
%patch $7ACF $10 $00
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

You give me too much credit, Stealthy. :)

Glad to have the issue resolved, though!
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Thanks, but I found that patch the next day, and just came on to post that.

Well, the moral of the story, if you ever want to get your vortimoms stuck in the wall, use the keen 1 raygun patch!
levellass

Post by levellass »

Not true! I set the 'touching blocks' speed to zero, then promptly lost the patch in a maze of text, causing weeks of trouble!