Some patches for Silcar 4

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I suggest you send me your patch file, I believe there may be a conflict of patches; I have tested this under varying conditions, and it works. I should like to examine what you've patched already to see what the problem could be. (You can email me it at six_different_people at hotmail.com)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Sent
levellass

Post by levellass »

Recieved, it's not the other patches, which is really confusing, by all logic, this should work, the bots shouldn't be bursting on you.

The only other thing I can suggest is for you to send me your mod, the whole directory, executable, ckpatch and any files the game uses, so I can check those, it may be your executable has become corrupted, or maybe it's something to do with graphics. (You could check yourself; get a clean copy of Keen 1, then add your patch file, check, add your levels, check again, add your graphics, check a third time and so on.)

Very odd.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

And Sent again, but don't tell anyone about the top secret prerelease stuff, haha ;-)
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

It's so simple!
  1. Give tulip faulty patches.
  2. Claim they look okay to you.
  3. Ask for entire directory to try and figure out what's going on.
  4. Auction off the files individually.
  5. Retire to a private island.
Levellass, we are so on to you.
Mink

Post by Mink »

Levellass, I tried the patch, and the same thing happened for me (I wasn't using any other patches). All of the butler bots are just gone.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Yes, you are correct; when I tested, my robots were not offscreen enough, it seems the properties $0D and $0F cause any sprite that is more than 7 tiles in any direction offscreen to disappear.

I do not know how or why this happens, and it seems that the patch just can't be used as-is. I applaud you Mink, for your superior testing.

Now, who wants some new graphics? My asking price is $5c per kilobyte. ;)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Bad luck, well it's not that important. I just thought it would be cooler if the butler bot did something different.
But still I'm hoping badly for that dead Yorp patch.

If you sell my files packed it'll give you about $20, whereas unpacked files will be worth about $60, Just think about it... :-)
levellass

Post by levellass »

Well, what would you like the bot to do? I can make it imitate any other sprite, from Yorp to Vort, and then some.

As soon as I finish my current project I'll get right on your dead Yorp one :)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I guess I just leave the bot as is, it can still be put to a good use.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Is there any hope for my yorp patch some time soon?
I would like to finish my mod before christmas, but for that I'd need to know if the patch is possible or not, as I'd have to change the level design a bit then.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

OK this is the last bump I give this, can anyone please help with that yorp patch. if this gets ignored again i'll finish my mod without it, but it'll be a lot less fun....
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

I know it can be done, as Levellass made me a patch that causes the Garg to explode into ice shards. But it looks to me like it uses a number of interconnected patches that shift code around, so I've no idea how to adapt it.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Can you post that Garg patch? maybe I could use it to work something out.

This is as far as I got now:

Code: Select all

%patch $1A94 $00 $4A #Dead yorp zaps when touched by keen or other sprite
But keen or other creatures don't die.
And when I look at this, I know I must find something similar to this patch (only for the yorp)

#The Garg spawns a Yorp when shot:
%patch $1BF5 $4F $19 #Make dead garg behave like Yorp
%patch $1BFA $68 $1A #Make it spawn a dead Yorp when shot
%patch $1BF0 $30 $00 #Yorp start sprite
%patch $1BE5 $00 $02 #Make it push Keen like a Yorp <-- This Line should be important
I couldn't work out the offset of the dead yorp interaction, though. I figure once I got it the rest should be no problem, I think I may even make it stun keen.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Forgive me, I have been rather occupied with life, and Keen 6. (I've been doing a lot of work on the sprite patches.) I have the Yorp version of this patch.

* The sprite patches -> Behavior document has in it (Down a bit) the offsets of all dead sprites, in a group.
* The sprite patches -> when shot document has in it what all sprites do when shot, including dead ones.

#The Yorp spawns a Garg when shot:
%patch $1A8F $51 $1B #Make dead Yorp behave like Garg
%patch $1A94 $CE $1B #Make is spawn a dead Garg when shot
%patch $1A8A 60      #Garg start sprite
%patch $1A7F $00 $03 #Make it kill Keen like a Garg <-- This Line should be important
Enjoy!