Bridge switched off in Keen 1-3....

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Tulip

Bridge switched off in Keen 1-3....

Post by Tulip »

Is there a way in Keen 1-3 to let a bridge disappear which was there when you started the level?

Or am I just doing it wrong: If I link a switch to the place where the bridge is, in the game the switch will only make another bridge over it when I flick it.

I might as well change the bridge tile to a background tile, but that way all the bridges would only disappear when their switch is flicked, I just want some of the bridges to behave like that.

In short I want this:
Level start -> Some bridges there -> dissappear when switch triggered
--------------> Some bridges not there -> behave as normal.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Nope. You can only have one or the other. :-(
levellass

Post by levellass »

Incorrect!

It is more complicated than a normal bridge, but it can be done.

First you need a bridge, that's easy enough. Next make your switch link to one tile AFTER the end of the bridge. (It must have space to grow a bridge two tiles or longer.) When the switch is flipped the first time, that tile will become a bridge tile. When it is flipped a second time, the whole bridge will vanish.

This is shown as follows, where Keen is given a demonstration switch to teach him how it's done.

Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Yeah, but you still have to flip the switch twice for it to do that. (And yes, I did know about that method. In fact, I've used it in a level or two...)
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Alas, it seems to be the best solution there is without some severe patching. It works though, so applause to the Lass.

What about making the bridge tile pass-through from underneath? That way, you can make it replace a row of solid blocks so it grants access to a place from underneath and still acts as a bridge from above.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Cool,
I think your method will work.
I just had a look at some levels from Keenq to see if he had it working differently, but I think he used the same technique.

Thanks.