Utility?

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Snaily

Utility?

Post by Snaily »

This has been on my mind for some time, and now I've finally registered:

As far as understand, one of the problems with making new patches is the fact that there is getting harder and harder for Andrew to find further "unused" space in the exe.

How about a utility that could take single patches, and let the user himself choose in which of the "free" areas it should be placed? We'd get rid of all the specialized patches along the lines of "if you are using this in conjunction with that, do this too", and I don't think it should be that hard to code, either...
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hmmm, I'm sure that kind of prog would be extremely useful. Good luck if you can do it!
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

I can try adding this for the patchotron. I'd need some info from andy though on which areas are useless and such.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

I can see two problems with this:

First, with an unpatched Keen exe, no areas are "useless". In order to make more room for extra code, I have to modify what's already there to make it smaller. As a result, many of the patches I make contain a modified version of the existing code, and the new code.

Second, not a few of the patches include addresses of data or code; these addresses might need to be changed if the patch was moved to another location.

I don't think at the moment that it's a big problem. If anyone is having trouble getting two patches to work together, it'd be more efficient for me to combine them into a single patch than to make a utility that would be general enough to solve these problems.