Change palette of extracted bitmaps

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
levellass

Change palette of extracted bitmaps

Post by levellass »

One of the problems with modkeen is that it always uses the same default 16 color palette when it extracts graphics, but now we can (At least for Keens 1-3) change the palette, which can be a bit annoying because it's hard to see what your graphics look like. You can always use a program like Palette Suite to change the palettes of individual or groups of bitmaps, but it can be tiresome.

So I have written a small program to change any and all Keen bitmaps in a directory as long as it's given a patchfile to read data from.

The altered bitmaps look like they would in-game and can be imported with modkeen, and you can easily make tweaks to your patches to see how this will affect all the graphics.

Get it here: http://levellord.toxicsheep.com/Keen_Color.zip
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Woot. A classy little gadget indeed. The fact that it takes the palette direct from the patch file is especially nifty.
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

Very nice!!
My previous method was:
1)start playing my mod
2) ALT-PRINT SCRN it
3) open the grab in paint shop pro
4) go colours (or whatever menu coral have probably moved it to) and 'save palette'
5)load the palette on my tile/sprite files (selecting maintain indexes so as not to screw things up)

Your nice gadget has made this slightly more laborious method obsolete, well done!