Jack Patch

Completed patches for Keen3.
Stealthy71088

Jack Patch

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Sarah emailed me some patches she created two days ago, and I haven't had a chance to look at my account until today. Here's her patches. Theres a few that are already in the patch index, but I'll list them here as well for the sake of convience for anyone else who's been trying to patch Jack.

Code: Select all

#Sarah's little Jack patch! {I don't know Jack about Keen! ;)} 
%patch $3EFF $10 $00 #Kill some sprites and Keen 
%patch $3F22 $D2 $48 #Go through walls [Now uses sprite numbers 0 and 1] 
#Free up sprite frames with map sprites [Frames $27- $2E now free] 
%patch $B4E6 $25 $00 #Keen on map moving up left 
%patch $B4F2 $25 $00 #Keen on map moving up 
%patch $B503 $25 $00 #Keen on map moving up right 
%patch $B50F $1F $00 #Keen on map moving right 
%patch $B520 $21 $00 #Keen on map moving down left 
%patch $B52C $21 $00 #Keen on map moving down 
%patch $B53D $21 $00 #Keen on map moving down right 
%patch $B549 $23 $00 #Keen on map moving left 
%patch $B562 $01 $00 #Frames used by all map sprites, now 2 per animation 
#Keen now uses map sprite space to walk in, leaving frames 0-3 free for new Jack animations 
%patch $708B $27 $00 #Walking right [Uses frames $27-$2A] 
#Jack always moves right at speed $090; that is, right, very fast; you may want to change this. 
%patch $3F4C $90 $00 #Jack initial if spawned above/left of Keen 
%patch $3F45 $90 $00 #Jack initial if spawned below right of Keen 
%patch $3F6C $90 $00 #Jack initial if spawned above Keen 
%patch $3F65 $90 $00 #Jack initial if spawned below Keen 
#These speeds shouldn't need to be used, but just in case... 
%patch $4BE2 $90 $00 #Jack left speed 2 
%patch $4BEE $90 $00 #Jack right speed 2 
%patch $4BFA $90 $00 #Jack upwards speed 2 
%patch $4C06 $90 $00 #Jack downwards speed 2
I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but I'm pretty sure this will be a big help. Thanks Sarah!
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

I'm liking all the flexibility that's being dredged out of the K:V engine lately!!

So let's clarify, if we can: Using these patches, Keen on the mapscreen now animates with just 2 frames of animation, rather than 4... and one of those two frames is going to be the same, regardless of which direction Keen is moving... BUT there are now differing images available for up-left, up-right, down-left, and down-right?

Also, we've shifted Keen's run animation back a few frames, leaving Keen's default frames free for the Jack? (Why not shift the Jack's frames to the old map sprites?)

Good work, either way! I'd always love to see a bit more explanation--especially about "Kill some sprites and Keen."
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

It took about fifteen minutes, but I got the patch to work.

To start with, too many Jacks in the level glitch it up similarly to how I said before. In order to bypass this, make your level height small and change the height of the sprite to 32 pixels. This *should* make it so you only need half as many Jacks as before. I have yet to change my sprites heights so there's a chance this may use up too much memory. If you find it does, either take away more Jacks, or shrink them. In my level, I'm using 6 jacks.

There's a side effect associated with this patch that I didn't realize at first. The patch gives the Jack Keen's walking right graphics. This means that the Jack will always look like keen walking right. The graphic patches listed correct the problem by having keen use his walking left map graphics in replacement for his walking right in a regular level. The map sprite is then limited, so that it doesnt use the left walking map sprite
or the down walking map sprite. Whoever uses these patches should make a map sprite that doesn't have to worry that much about turning.

This still leaves one more problem. Because the map sprite is so much smaller than keen walking, keen's hitbox when walking right in a level shrinks. This means that whenever keen walks right, he will fall through the ground to his doom. To fix this, copy and paste the hitbox from sprites #1 and #2 and paste them alternatingly in sprites #39 - #42. This will make keen act normally. If you have graphics for keen already set aside, than copy and paste the entire sprite picture.

And with that, you have your own wall of flame or some other danger chasing you through a given level. Thanks again Sarah for the patches!

Stealthy71088
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Apparantly Sarah's Jack patch is missing a patch. The way its set up now, Both the jack and keen use keens standing right graphic.
This is easily fixed.

Code: Select all

#Keen uses sprite #3 to stand
%patch $7074 $03 $00
This is one of our two unused graphics currently unused by any of the sprites. #2 is the other unused graphic.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

[This is Sarah speaking, don't tell Adis!]

So let's clarify, if we can: Using these patches, Keen on the mapscreen now animates with just 2 frames of animation, rather than 4...
That is correct; this frees up some space so that we can fit Keen's standing/walking animations in; otherwise, where would we put them?

Messie and map-keen use some kind of list to animate; don't ask me how it works, but basically the same animating function is used for all movement but somewhere the game says 'If left use this, if right use that...' You will notice Messie has *two* lists, one with Keen, one without, and they're even read like a line of text.

With this patch of course you have no choice but to make the map-keens all animate with two frames, but now that half of the map frames are unused, they can be used for something else. For example you can have Keen moving down left use a totally different set of sprites from Keen moving either left or down, so your map sprite may become even *more* interesting.

Also, we've shifted Keen's run animation back a few frames, leaving Keen's default frames free for the Jack? (Why not shift the Jack's frames to the old map sprites?)
The Jack is being made to use the Meep bullet behaviour. Again I don't know how this works, but the Vortimom and Meep bullet behaviours work so that two sprites have t be specified to tell it how to animate. For example, the Meep bullet behaviour is followed a bit later by the two sprite values it uses, one for left, one for right. The game then uses thes *and the next frame*

Since the Jack now has this behaviour, but no sprites written down, the game assumes it uses sprite 0 [and thus sprite 1 too] I don't know how to change this, so I had to work it in as best I could.

Adis may be able to fix it so the sprite rearrangements aren't needed, but she's being stubbourn right now.

I'm glad you all like it!
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

[This is Sarah speaking, don't tell Adis!]
Have you registered your own account yet?
levellass

Post by levellass »

It took a while to find someone willing to give me an email adress, but yes.

Your antispam questions might hinder the 'n00b' Keen fan, who might not know all the answers.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Velcome to our lair, Levellass. Feel fvee to post your thoughts vegarding Yorpius II's level design.

Now for on topic stuff: I've noticed that occasionally immediately in the beginning, Keen looks like a flame for one frame. I'm not sure what it is- It lasts for a split second and vanishes, and doesnt appear every time I enter a level. I think it's another subroutine for Keen standing or walking that for some reason wasn't patched above, but I'm not sure. I haven't seen anything in the patch index having to do with it.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Interesting, this must be somethings Adis missed; I do know that sprites often use a frame when they are placed or something, in that brief bit of the level when it starts, there is mention of such things in Adis' files.

I do not know how to fix this it will need some competence in hex editing.