Extra tiles for Keen 3

Completed patches for Keen3.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Extra tiles for Keen 3

Post by levellord »

I have created a tileinfo file that has 65 extra tiles for use in Keen 3 You can edit it with the normal version of tileinfo, so long as you also use a tiles bitmap that is 65 tiles larger than the normal one.

This of course means that there is only one program [technically two] that can add these extra tiles to Keen 3 levels, and that is KeenEdit. To do this you have to rename all your Level.ck3 files .ck2 so you can edit them. This also involves exporting the expanded tileset to keenedit.dat as episode 2; [episode 1 and 3 can't handle the extra tiles!] As such I have included a file that renames them, then turns them back when you exit. When Spleens vrtlev is released it will be able to handle these extra tiles, go Spleen!

As such I have included some stuff with the tileinfo file here: http://levellord.toxicsheep.com/Keenstu ... blocks.zip

Contents of folder:

extratiles.tli Tileinfo file with extra tiles
extratiles.pat Patchfile, you know how to use it
3TIL0000.bmp Extended tileset, use this as a template for your tileset
KeeEdit.bat Renames Keen 3 levels

NOTE: While you can use a tileset with more than 65 extra tiles, and tileinfo will save this all very neatly, the tileinfo file will not work, and Keen3 will screw up. This is the *maximum* number of extra tiles you can get, don't mess with it!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Aha, interesting.. However, as a patch it does nothing, I see. What info the new data replaces -- or is there empty data enough for five new rows of tiles? Nice find, anyways. :)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Oi! With this you can have 65 extra tiles, expand your tileset and put those tiles in the level, unlike normal you'll be able to see and interact with these tiles, its simple.

It uses some leftover space in the tileinfo file yes, but not 'all' of of it.

If you want I'll make and add a demonstration level.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Yes yes I can understand all that, I only meant that the actual patch file doesn't modify the program code in any other way than by replacing the old tileinfo data with new data from an external file (just like when using tileinfo normally).
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Indeed you are correct. Hence the limit on the number of tiles. Its not *quite* the normal tileinfo but its pretty damn close.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Excellent! Great to see this finally working.
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

Could this be done in keen1, I see no reason to believe it couldn't!!
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Sadly, not yett; the Keen 1 tileinfo is all being used, whereas the Keen 3 one had some spare space.

If *you* manage it, then you'll be one of the greatest patchers of all time.