PATCH: Change extra life score in Keen 2

Completed patches for Keen2.
adurdin
Site Founder

PATCH: Change extra life score in Keen 2

Post by adurdin »

The following patch will let you change the score at which Keen gets an extra life:

Code: Select all

%ext ck2
%version 1.31

# Make Keen get an extra life every 100 ($0064) points
%patch $0D78  $64 $00
%patch $0D88  $64 $00
%patch $0D9C  $64 $00
%patch $0F5E  $64 $00

%end
To use a number other than 100, you need to change all four of these patches to use the same number.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

OMG! Just what I needed Thanks!
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

I wonder why? :-b
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hehe, cool! I could take some advantage of this patch as well! ;)

PS. If you have any time adurdin, could you take a look at that patch request I made:
viewtopic.php?t=381
Or else I'll need to trash a big chunk of the mod. :\
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

An option:

Make seven small levels, embed the tantalus ray sprite in a foreground block. When Keen gets near the block, city saved!

Keen has to do seven other levels, but they can be small and no one will notice them.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

But Keen can still shoot them.. Or does foreground make some difference to that? :\
Ezjay

Post by Ezjay »

Just make the tantalus sprite the size of one tile plus one row of pixels on top. This way you can still shoot it in the final level, but when you dont want it to get shot you place a solid block over it. The extra row of pixels will still enable you to touch it but not shoot it. (make sure keen cannot shoot over the floor in this room though)

You couls also enlarge your Keen sprite, allowing you to touch the tantalus through a wall, and im sure there's some way to save the city without touching the sprite at all, by touching one of the tiles that get zapped when the machine is destroyed instead.

Anyways, as long as you dont mind the player having to complete all these eight levels there's plenty of ways to fix this.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Explainment:

1.) By forground I mean 'enough foreground blocking tiles to cover the sprite.

2.) Keen doesn't need to touch the tantalus ray sprite itself, there is quite a large area he can be in where the city counts as saved. Try it with god mode on Keen2, look at your status bar as you hop around the ray, at some point it flicks over to 'done'

This mans Keen need not even notice the ray to finnish the level.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Keen doesn't need to touch the tantalus ray sprite itself, there is quite a large area he can be in where the city counts as saved.
Hmmm, that sounds good, I'll need to investigate more..
Bounderball

Post by Bounderball »

I don't understand how to change it to a specific number.
XkyRauh

hex vs. numbers

Post by XkyRauh »

You need to convert the number of points you want Keen to need for an extra life into hex. The easiest way I can think of to do this is with the Windows Calculator... open it up (Start-->Run-->calc) and then be sure that it's set to Scientific mode (View-->Scientific). Click on the left side to select Decimal(Dec) if it's not already selected. Type in the number of points you want to require for an extra life (for this example, we'll use 50,000). Once you have your number in the calculator, click on the Hexadecimal(Hex) button, and see what your number changed in to. In this case, 50,000 becomes C350. In order to make this work with the patch, we need to convert it into little groups of 2, and then put 'em in reverse order. So instead of patching C350, we'll split that into C3 and 50, and then reverse them. So in order to patch things so Keen needs 50,000 points for an extra life, we'd use:

Code: Select all

%ext ck2 
%version 1.31 

# Make Keen get an extra life every 50,000 ($C350) points 
%patch $0D78  $50 $C3 
%patch $0D88  $50 $C3 
%patch $0D9C  $50 $C3 
%patch $0F5E  $50 $C3 

%end
Hope that helps!

--Xky
Bounderball