Light switch effects

Completed patches for Keen2.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

That sucks! It means when i want to do all those effects i mentioned the game won't fade in and out right. A lightswitch that makes everything light combined with fading to white is possible though - but it's not the same. Is it possible to change the lightswitchpalette without affecting the fade palettes?
Well, it might be possible to make the fading use only three palettes instead of two... would that work?
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

ow i think it is. I looked a hundred times be4 i saw it
Don't worry, it's hard to see. If you took a screenshot of the two versions of the same image, you could prove it.

It's an artistic trick that you can use to your advantage in many cases too. If a painter is painting fire, they won't just use all yellow. If they make a yellow, and then put white inside of it, the combination appears brighter than either color would by itself. (A similar trick is used for those glowing balls-o-death in Keen6).
Ezjay

Post by Ezjay »

All the colors do change, the white changes to light grey and the light cyan changes to dark cyan. The colors around it are just so dark, they look like they're still as bright as they were.
Weird... look at the status screen in keen2, I couldn't believe that was actually grey, it just looks so white.
If i hadn't thought keen2 let those 2 colours unchanged i would have never thought the game would have used different palettes like this, too. This topic is based on that...
Wow, sounds like a cool patch again! :)
It is. Yesterday i tried some palettes and it just looks so good and original. Too bad it screws the fading.
Well, it might be possible to make the fading use only three palettes instead of two... would that work?
Yes, great. You rule dude, your making patches for me before i even ask. I checked how it would look and i don't think it shows to much. Maybe you could make it go a litlle bit slower?? Leaving the fade screen intact would be better off course, but i doubt it's possible.
Here's an experiment. Go into MSPaint, and make a picture where one side is black and one side is white. Then, draw two squares of the same color grey, one on each side. The grey square in the dark half will look brighter than the grey in the light half.
It's an artistic trick that you can use to your advantage in many cases too. If a painter is painting fire, they won't just use all yellow. If they make a yellow, and then put white inside of it, the combination appears brighter than either color would by itself. (A similar trick is used for those glowing balls-o-death in Keen6).
Yeah i know all that stuff, im always thinking about keen during art class. Green makes red more bright and visa versa, red and yellow stand out while blue and grey tend to look a bit more background-like, and so on. Stuff like that is really interesting when youre making a mod.
Actually, knowing that made it even harder to believe. I looked at the grey well aware of the black mading it appear more bright but still i was convinced it was white....
It proves once more how much can be done with those 16 colours. Just think of all those game that where made with the same palette and look totally different, let alone all those combinations that noone ever could think of. In Bio menace, snake's face is actually red. It doesn't show unless you really look for it. Also at one point the game had a red-looking beast in the background that was actually made out of light grey. Really, it was impossible to see it was.
Ezjay

Post by Ezjay »

So, andy, did you take a look at this thing yet?
This patch would definately be great...