PATCH: Infinite shots

Completed patches for Keen1.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

PATCH: Infinite shots

Post by KeenRush »

In the spirit of those raygun patches, here's another one to that collection, one I just made. I've been waiting the whole day to get trying patching a bit, and it was worth of waiting, although the patch is simple, it's my first patch to change the actual coding instead of some amount, where I know what I am doing and how it works. :) This is a big step for me. I've realized some important things.
Anyways, here's a patch that lets Keen always shoot, and never lowers his ammo.

Code: Select all

# Let Keen always shoot, don't decrease his ammo.
%patch $3E30 $90 $90
%patch $3E3B $90 $90 $90 $90
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Ah I see, its composed of two parts, a 'don't decrease keens shots' patch and a 'shoot even when keens shots are zero' patch.

Here's something to take care of mean people:

#keen can't shoot if he stomps a yorp
%patch $3E2C $90

And something...interesting.

#Masked tiles make it hard for keen to shoot
%patch $3E26 $90
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Ah I see, its composed of two parts, a 'don't decrease keens shots' patch and a 'shoot even when keens shots are zero' patch.
The first is right, but the second should be 'don't do anykind of ammo checking, just shoot'. :) And, I didn't take any two patches and combined them.. As far as I know there isn't even ones for those two exact things. (And why would have I done that?)

Anyways, I can't understand how those patches work LL! Are there so strange code in Keen engine that it can be patched that way?
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

#keen can't shoot if he stomps a yorp
%patch $3E2C $90
Actually this patch makes it so keen can't shoot when he's on a certain row of tiles- if you load this into keen 1 and play the first level, you can shoot anywhere except for the row you start on. Stomping yorps has no effect.
#Masked tiles make it hard for keen to shoot
%patch $3E26 $90
This applies to foreground tiles, not masked tiles. Does anyone know how this patch could be modified to make it apply to masked tiles?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Darned if I know, LL was not the most.... stable of patchers. Those are probably more glitches than useful patches. Try asking Spleen.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Yeah that's a pretty iffy patch.

Code: Select all

:0001.3E26 3D0100                 cmp ax, 0001
I have no idea what $01 $00 translates to in terms of ASM commands, nor what effect it might have on the subsequent lines...[/code]