PATCHES GALORE: Keen 1 Sprite Properties (don't miss this!)

Completed patches for Keen1.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

That's rather odd. Using another sprite function for the death handler doesn't turn it into that sprite but it makes the camera follow dead keen? Odd.
Yeah, but notice those aren't same addresses in those two patches.. I found the other when searching the other, but they both did had the Keen's death function number set there.
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

Are we still limited in the number of different sprites? Yorp, garg, vorticon, butler, tank, four ice cannons, and the falling block. What if we were, say, to replace an ice cannon sprite with another sprite that acts just like a vorticon? Could we potentially have 10 different sprites that all act like vorticons?

And is it possible to shoot an enemy and make it act like the falling block? Shoot a yorp, and the floor beneath it is destroyed?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Are we still limited in the number of different sprites? Yorp, garg, vorticon, butler, tank, four ice cannons, and the falling block. What if we were, say, to replace an ice cannon sprite with another sprite that acts just like a vorticon? Could we potentially have 10 different sprites that all act like vorticons?
I guess we're limited, but we could make all the sprites vorticons I guess.
And is it possible to shoot an enemy and make it act like the falling block? Shoot a yorp, and the floor beneath it is destroyed?
Hmmm, IIRC there was something about that on those lists xtra posted. Haven't tested myself yet, though.
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

We could probably create more enemies if we found places to code it in. Unfortunately, there isn't much space in the EXE. Also we'd need to edit modkeen to expect more sprite images to import.

We can also definitely make 10 vorticons. It would be complex though. If we want them to use different animation frames, we'd have to reproduce the sprite functions (writing over the unused ones for yorps and gargs and stuff) or extend the old ones by adding conditionals to pick what image to use.

Your last question is simple. Just change the [si+0x34] value for a sprite to $BB $22.
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

I just ask because really, the ice launcher sprites aren't that useful. Perhaps they are moreso now with this patch, but I hardly used the launchers for mine, and almost no one uses the falling block for anything.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

It has come to my attention that we are drowning in new information. What we need is some application that will allow us to easily alter the properties of sprites. [*cough!*Xtraverse*cough!*]
CaptainKeen

Post by CaptainKeen »

great stuff

I have a patch request,or actually a few

could you

1 make keen able to knock down the shootingrobot like a yorp (with the yorp frames)
2 stop keen being able to knock down yorps
3 stop keens bullets hit the yorps or if that isnt possible make the yorp invulnerable

possible?
CaptainKeen

Post by CaptainKeen »

ok maybe I whas asking a little mutch so never mind about the knockdownable robot but could you plz make the yorp invulnerable? I do need this!
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

Do you mean "knock down" as in stunning the yorp? If so, all of those are possible. I've been a little busy lately but this weekend I can probably get those done.
CaptainKeen

Post by CaptainKeen »

yea like when you jump on the robot a stunned yorp appears and then it changes back into a robot. but then you'll have to stop the origenal yorp from being knocked down because they would share the same pictures.

it would be cool to make the robot knock downable instead of the yorp but not really essential.

but I do need to make the yorp invulnerable.
Ezjay

Post by Ezjay »

Just out of couriosity; how do these new finds affect the possibilities for shootable walls?
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

It might bring progress a little closer. With the knowledge I've attained so far, I can probably track down the function that turns a shot into a zot/zap (in fact, I might already have it in a patchfile where I was attempting to do the Keen shoots zot, robot shoots zap patch).

Once I have that function, I have to figure out how to check the tileinfo of the tile, and if it's a certain property, figure out how change it to the background tile. I also have to find a place to add in this new code.

So there's a lot of figuring out to do, and I have a lot of other stuff unrelated to Keen that I need to do first. Maybe in a week or two I can attempt this.
CaptainKeen

Post by CaptainKeen »

what the hell are you talking about! tileinfo? how about simple freezing a sprite and make that shootable,you can shape it as a tile then,much easier! however it would use up one sprite but you could use one of the ice cannons for that.
XkyRauh

tileinfo vs. sprite

Post by XkyRauh »

It SOUNDS easier to find a way to negate a sprite's movement altogether, but you've got to keep in mind that using that method, you'd be pretty limited in the number of shootable walls you put in--Keen levels get unhappy if you put too many sprites in them. :-) By figuring out how to work with TileInfo, we'll be crossing yet another line into unexplored territory. Way to go, Xtra!

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Ah, yes, would be really neat. Adurdin was working on shootable-blocks patch sometime, but he had some problem there. Dunno what its progress is now. (And no, it wasn't a dream!)