Some new tiles

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
XkyRauh

Some new tiles

Post by XkyRauh »

Okay, it's been over a year, and I've got a few extra hours on Monday and Wednesday nights that I can burn. So rather than do my homework like a good little college boy should, I've decided to brush up on my tilework, which I've always thought was the weakest element of my modding. Since I'm not confident enough to jump right into doing work for XkyKeen4, I figured I'd do some tiles here and there for the CKCM, to see if we can inspire any more tile-friendly people to get some structures built.

So, without further ado, here's some crappy tiles Xky made in about 20 minutes:

First Draft March 06, 2006

I figure I can update them as I go along, maybe make new stuff, maybe tweak what I've got already. Gimme criticisms, comments, feedback, whatever. I want to know what you guys think these are SUPPOSED to be, and how you would use them in a level. :-)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Hmm; had to convert into KeenColor™ but otherwise not bad at all. I've no idea what exactly they are, probbably ground. Maybe I'll fiddle some tiles if I can get off my rear long enough.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

All i get is a long line of jibberish text. Had to save it as a bmp.

First off, you should probably use black outlines, since most of these look like blocks of some sort.

Blue Tiles - These look like a fancy background. Like, maybe they can line some hallways. It looks like a wall thats painted to look like evening, when the sky is beginning to get dark, and stars are appearing.

Gray with black, blue, and brown dots - These look like they can be thrown in between normal floor tiles, as little rocks or something in the ground.

White with red/gray/pink - Looks like a white tile covered in graffiti. Perhaps if you made plain white tiles, you could use these every once in a while to break up the monotony.

Gray with blue and green outline - Maybe use these around water. They look like mossy, wet blocks. It'd probably look better if you scattered some white pixels in there to give it a shiny look.

The rest - Looks like a sand theme. They could probably be used together to form a nice looking sandy ground.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Not bad, I think. :)
XkyRauh

oi

Post by XkyRauh »

Hey, LevelLord... if I'm working with vanilla Win98, and I've got no Keenmodding stuff installed... what's the best way to convert into KeenColor? That'd really help me.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Oh.

Oh I'm so sorry.

I didn't know you were disabled, you poor, poor boy.
najawa

Post by najawa »

I'd extract the sprites with modkeen, and open one sprite (any sprite will do). Copy your tiles in, and they'll be converted!

-- NAJAWA --
XkyRauh

but

Post by XkyRauh »

I have NO KEEN installed on my laptop. Sure, I could download the stuff (shareware, etc.) and then do as you suggest, but I was asking if there was any way on VANILLA WIN98. :-)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Simply download a picture of 16 color Keen art and copy + paste your tiles, or edit the picture directly, as a 16 color bitmap it will already be in [unalterable] 16 color.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Like this.
Nice. Clean. 16 colors. (At least it SHOULD be!)
najawa

Post by najawa »

Uh... Keen art is a bit different then standard 16 color: It has a different palate...

You might have it there... but it's hard to see...

My point is: take a keen sprite, and use that, cause the palate is already present there.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Well, it WAS keen pallette, but it seems to have uploaded as a jpg. Oh well. :-(
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

Photobucket delights in converting file formats to extremly irritating ones.

However .png and .jpeg seem to work ok though.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Ah, .PNG, prince of formats!
Scizor CT

Post by Scizor CT »

Some of those are ok, others not so much. It doesn't help much viewing them completely out of context like this, but they don't appear to have the animation style the Keen series (i.e. 4-6) really embodies.

Then again, I wasn't aware that this project was even still alive until just a few moments ago, so don't take me too seriously.