The Game World

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
CommanderSpleen

The Game World

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Maybe we should begin to focus on the actual game world. We've got most of the plot under control, so now we can at least work out some idea of how the map goes together, what lives there, and how the level components look and behave.

So far, regarding the map we've been pushing for some interactivity outside the levels themselves, which will give us a lot to work with if Andrew can manage the patch.

We have three takes on the map itself:

Yowza Enthralling plot
Ceilick Keenish
Commander Spleen Complex

Now, if only we can incorporate the three above maps into something Keenish, complex and enthralling.

Regarding level ideas:

Yowza's take on the buildings in Episode Three:
KeenRush's diagram of what the entire city may look like.

Enemies that have been discussed/mentioned/inferred:
o Slugs (patching => slime?) (Perhaps different to Keen4 somehow)
o Licks (patchin => fire?) (Perhaps different to Keen4 somehow)
o Red things in Episode Two (suit underground areas well)
o Evildoers/Whatever/Zleths

Interactive map/level elements:
o Gateways (levels or otherwise, requiring an item/challenge to pass)
o Statues (offer hints, perhaps activate something/notify council of Keen's presence)
o Bargaining challenges (ie. collect some item, disable some device, destroy some problematic character in order to gain access to other areas or find out specific information) ... Variations on gateways, in other words.

Level themes:
o Bridge crossing
o Forest cities
o K4-style villages
o Fortress (non-Medieval, of course :P)
o Falls
o Floating city
o Underground mining camps
o Underground waterfalls
o Underground magma flows
o Old abandoned city

Specific plot devices:
o Huge pit in last level of Episode One leading to mines
o Elevator shaft at start of Episode Two, allowing access to collapsed entrance, just to add atmosphere
o Statues that need to be activated to contact council members (?)
o Gem and holder in Episode Two that activate a time field intersecting the Oracle's, thus neutralising the intersected area and allowing entry (?)
o Portable version of the above time field device (?)
o Instructions as to how to shut down Oracle's force field (?)
o Some alternate paths to victory (geographical and plot-wise) (?)

I'm sure there's other stuff I've missed, and if anyone'd like to add anything, go ahead. :)

I suggest that here we offer any thoughts that may come to mind regarding the categories listed above, and any others that may be necessary, and either try to work them into the storyline or merge them with other ideas to fit them in.

This post should be kept relatively separate from discussion of the plot, and more aimed toward ideas for the sake of gameplay, even if they do involve plot suggestions.

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Good topic. :) And I want to say once again, to make it clear to everyone, that the pic in my topic, is just to show that there is field around the city, and the buildings are hovering. The city buildings won't be placed like that, or anything! :)

Hmmm, before planning more, we should try to get info from adurdin, can he do it or has he done it already. Because it seems to, at least me, that it would be a big part of the mod.
Yowza

Post by Yowza »

And I'd like to (again) point out that those paths are meant to be nothing like in the actual game.. The parts of the level inside the building would obviously be more 'building-ish', with different floors, and ways to get to them etc..
lemur_821

Post by lemur_821 »

I see the city as having a few large buildings, maybe a couple medium ones, and a bunch of small ones. I also see the large ones as interesting shapes, not just boxes. Straight sides and everything, but more than a rectangle.
CommanderSpleen

Sunset/Twilight?

I've had some time to randomly think this past week... only one useful thought has arisen, though...

Perhaps we could put a new spin on the Shadowlands theme by bathing the entire landscape in sunset or twilight colours (ie. redish or tealish). It would certainly look interesting... whether it would look any good on an EGA palette is another thing.

Just a thought.

>Commander Spleen
Yowza

Post by Yowza »

That's an interesting thought.. But you're right, not sure if it'd be possible to make it look good with EGA graphics..
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Woah! *another vision*
That would definitely look cool! Oh, and I'm sure it's possible, though not so easy but definitely cool.
Robo Blue

Post by Robo Blue »

Autumntime in the shadowlands mabye? All the trees would range from brown to orange to red, and the creatures would be changing color too. Mabye those brown slugs that were hibernating before come out in the fall.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Good idea! :) And the times are different on the different planets (because just came to my mind, that in Keen 2 there is winter on the earth, and in Keen 4 there is summer, so..)

I like the idea of slugs changing colour. :) Oh, and about that sleeping slug, I think it just looked brown in Keen 4 because there was quite dark where it was sleeping.. :)
CommanderSpleen

Autumn

in Keen 2 there is winter on the earth
In Keen's hemisphere, yes... :P
and in Keen 4 there is summer
In the hemisphere in which the Shadowlands reside, yes...
Autumntime in the shadowlands mabye? All the trees would range from brown to orange to red, and the creatures would be changing color too.
I like! We could bring in some different enemies consistent with the time of the year... would certainly add a new element to the Shadowlands theme.
Mabye those brown slugs that were hibernating before come out in the fall
Indeed, though as KeenRush said those slugs may
just [have] looked brown in Keen 4 because there was quite dark where it was sleeping
Still, there's nothing to say that they're not a different type of slug hybernating for the summer \:|.

We can definitely do all this within the limitations of the palette, anyway... yellow, white, brown, red, maroon, and some greys where necessary.

I can't wait to see this map in full living colour.

Ooh, on another note, we should definitely work on animations on the map where possible.

>Commander Spleen
Yowza

Post by Yowza »

The only problem with animations is that with Keen 1-3 they move so damn fast :/
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Yeah, those are fast..

I just meant that I like the idea of slugs changing colour during the year (and want to see them doing that), but those ones in Keen 4 were just sleeping there in shadows.. :)

And agree with ya Spleeny, can't wait either to see all those colours. :)

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't think that other planets can have totally different year and so on. :o
Dr.Villain
Location: An underground Fortress in an unassuming suburban neighborhood

Post by Dr.Villain »

When the Sunrise/Twilight thing was mentioned, it reminded me of the effects in the begining of the Megaman4 intro. If they could do that with the color limits of the NES, it can't be to hard to do in EGA.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

IIRC, the NES allows 32 simultaneous colors, not just 16. But you can change the color palette in Keen -- see the latest patch in the Keen: Vorticons forum.
Yowza

Post by Yowza »

That patch is... interesting :)