Finale Thread

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
lemm

Finale Thread

Post by lemm »

This thread is to lay out the keen finale in exacting detail so I know what to program. You can pretty much use any of the elements that you have seen in the keen1 finale. For example:

- Draw font, tiles, or bitmaps anywhere on the screen, at any pixel in the y-axis, or at any multiple of 8 pixels (16 for tiles) in the x-axis. These elements can be made slide smoothly in the y.

- Draw sprites anywhere on the screen, just like in levels. They can slide in any direction.

- Draw text boxes, draw strings one letter at a time or all at once, on the dark or light background.

- Change palette, play sounds, scroll and shake screen, put up a 320x200 image.

- Finale can be dependent on something the player collected in game.

- There can be any number of levels, and music will change at each level.

- The text scroller necessarily pauses all action.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

What happens in the plot between episodes one and two is Keen falls down the mine shaft and finds himself in some caves, but it seems a shame to just show him falling and landing when we have so much to work with.
Maybe he falls, lands, and looks out on the vast cavern he's in. Something sufficiently dramatic. Or anticlimactic, if we go that way.
levellass

Post by levellass »

A bit of story about HOW he gets to the falling might be nice. Cosmo episode 1's ending does an almost identical situation reasonably well (But they have the last level actually lead up to the ending.) but I think having a few scenes before the actual all first would be nice.

The 'To be continued' window appearing over a fullscreen picture of Keen on a ledge staring out at a huge empty cavern would be a good finnisher IMKO. Something vast and open and rocky, maybe some crystals lying about, something to suggest 'Well you're stuck now... and there's a whole adventure ahead'