Boot Hill

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

lemm wrote:Also I like spleen's suggestion that the oracle is what needs rebooting. Perhaps that could be the reason why the council "owes him one." He fixes the oracle. (As the oracle is low on memory from having too many TSRs in operation, but the council members are all old people and can't fix it... iunno something stupid like that)
The Council owes him one because he saves them all from aliens in episode 3.

The mainframe could give Keen goggles for some reason. I thought it might give Keen goggles since Keen needs goggles and we don't know where the goggles come from yet.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

I forgot about those! I'll bring them up in the other thread. I don't think a mainframe should provide them.

(We should also overuse the word goggles when Keen gets the deadly neurogoggles.)
Also, are they supposed to harm Keen, do they push him around,
Can we make them stun Keen like a Blooguard? Perhaps giving them the ability to slam into the ground to do this, and otherwise simply push? They could be used in combination with hazardous creatures.

I would be inclined to make them bip-like when their shoe is gone, but because they're so big and they continue to jump around, they should continue to push. Also, the name can be worked out later. Suggestions are welcome in the meantime.

Riding a boot and using it to kick the mainframe is an interesting idea, but might get too cluttered. Mini-boss perhaps? But I think that's going over the top again. I'd say it's best if the boots just disappear.
lemm wrote:So we could save the reboot pun for episode 3, and jsut keep the boothill foothill pun for this episode. And then maybe another boot pun in episode two... I dunno, maybe these little guys go camping somewhere.
Yes, that might be best. It'd be a nifty running joke to have one boot pun per level. Ep1 == Boot Hill, Ep3 == rebooting the oracle...
Kylstein wrote:If we can't come up with an item for boot hill, we can always just make it a blocking level. If it gets placed in the foothills, it would be logical enough that you have to pass it to get into the mountains.
Yeah, turning it into just another level is always an option. But i don't like the idea of putting in too many consecutive blocking levels, and Boot Hill seems like a significant enough location to have some involvement in the plot.
lemm

Post by lemm »

doomjedi wrote:Lemm...do we still have coding spot for this creature?
Probably... but hold off on any additional sprites.

I still need to put in licks, slugs, the shadowlands devil, and the firefly. (We also need graphics for the firefly).
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

lemm wrote: firefly. (We also need graphics for the firefly).
Ok, I'll stop with the sprites. Try to find ways to save more coding spots.

FireFly is some fire-flying thing? Light or really fire flames? Is there any more detailed art concept for it?
CommanderSpleen

Biological concept.

Cartoony concept:

Probably something around the same size as a skypest, perhaps a tad bigger.
CommanderSpleen

Alright, so using the new map structure Boot Hill and the Foot Hills are mere blocking levels. So we no longer need to figure out any mission stuff for this level, and the mainframe idea can be dropped entirely. The 'boot it to reboot it' thing can be used in Episode 3.

Should we have a separate type of native for the Foot Hills or go with the same boot people? Personally I think keeping the boot people would be sufficient.
lemm

Post by lemm »

I think the boot people are good for now... I don't really wanna add a new sprite in (on top of what is still remaining) either.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »