Map Layout

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

CommanderSpleen wrote:Maybe it could show which flora is poisonous and which is safe to show a way through?
Well....minefield is a concept, and implemented with metal landmines, poisonous flora, mushrooms etc --- I don't mind.
Whatever fits the mod more.

Minemap can be hidden in a cemetery - but IMO it's better to be found on archeological site - an Ancient Map. But Cemetery fits the "ancient" feel too.
Also a good idea - is to bury one of the metal keys or whatever in a cemetery or even better - in an old archeological site (Ancient key or whatever) - thus requiring a metal detector to find it there.

So you need a metal detector to find some metal part in a large cemetery - and a minemap to find your safe way in a poisonous flowers field - thus we get both ideas implemented :) Flowers are not metal so metal detector is useless there anyway.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

Another way to keep both the landmines and the flowers would be thus: The landmines are what blocks your progress. But the flowers are a hazard.

The invitation to the funeral thing wasn't a fetch quest, but a reason for why the boot people would be attacking you. They don't want you in their invitation-only funeral. The cemetery wouldn't have undead or anything, it would just be another cemetery.

And although I'd love to take the credit for the firefly, it was actually doomjedi who came up with it.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Deltamatic wrote: And although I'd love to take the credit for the firefly, it was actually doomjedi who came up with it.
Well....I don't remember suggesting that to be honest, but I don't have a PERFECT memory, I'm just a human :)
Another way to keep both the landmines and the flowers would be thus: The landmines are what blocks your progress. But the flowers are a hazard.
You mean a World Map? A hazard in the world map - or inside a level - another "enemy/hazard"? How you can place a Hazard in a World Map?
boot people
This is an enemy not yet made, yes? Can you post a detailed visual/behavoural description then?
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

The flowers are a hazard in the level, not on the world map. But you can place a hazard in the world map if you wanted to. Normally there aren't hazards in the world map so the player feels safe there.

Boot people are little aliens living in big boots who jump around in their boots holding on to the edges. A boot person attacks Keen by kicking him with his boot. The boot is brown and has a line of shiny metal circles on its top side.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Ok, I'll see what I can do about the Boot People. Maybe make them jump on Boot Diskettes or look like ones :) Just for fun
...oh. sorry - those are the ReBoot People :)

Maybe Boot People will fight the ReBoot people :)
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

The boot disk pun is awesome. Maybe we can have some tomb stones that look like old floppy disks.

In fact, the whole point of the level could be to activate an ancient mainframe.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

CommanderSpleen wrote:The boot disk pun is awesome. Maybe we can have some tomb stones that look like old floppy disks.

In fact, the whole point of the level could be to activate an ancient mainframe.
Boot people and their natural enemy - the ReBoot People (Damn I'm having fun) :)

lemm

Post by lemm »

<Ceilick> which could add another 'mission objective' to the game. Take the slug path, you have to search in the forest for an item to get through the meadow to the swamp, take the lick path you have to search the swamp for an item to cross the meadow for hte forest. Thats probably more than you guys want going on though.
This idea should be implemented, yes?

To sum up the post bridge levels, there are four critical items by my count:

1) To allow passage from East to West: A mine map in boot hill
2) To allow passage from West to East: The same mine map... hidden somewhere (non hi tech pyramid, ford or beach)?
3) To get into dark woods: Firefly, hidden in hi tech arch site level
4) Item to get into the canyon/rainbow/mineshaft area: Goggles, hidden in Dark woods.

Bonus) things scattered around the map that you need to collect to power the boat. Maybe you have to beat the beach to get access to the boat?

Other stuff:

The flowers could make the colours cycle temporarily and reverse the players input (in a cheap imitation of smoke rings from Jazz 2 :p)

The minefield can actually be part of the world map, and yes it can kill you on the world map. We could make button 2, 3 or 4 bring up the minemap (a new status window).
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

lemm wrote: Bonus) things scattered around the map that you need to collect to power the boat.
we can have many nice ideas here....from coins to pay for the boat ride, to fuel cells.... or maybe you'll need to find each of the oars....or collect enouph material peices to make a sail....
Or collect enouph anti-"water-sickness" pills, or a compass, or a starmap to navigate...or....or....

The minefield can actually be part of the world map
Yes, that what I intended it to be.
and yes it can kill you on the world map.
What happens if you die on World Map?
We'll probably need to put a warning sign in the World Map then.

Can't they just block you until you get the minemap? With proper sign Keen won't go into a minefield, unless really drunk :)
lemm

Post by lemm »

If it killed you, you would just go back a set point on the map before the minefield. But you could also make it so that keen can't cross unless he has a map. Either way is fine by me and easy enough to do.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

The reboot people are made of win. The activate an ancient mainframe goal and the get a minefield map goal can be combined: activate an ancient mainframe which will print out a minefield map when activated.

We should put all sorts of warning signs in front of the mine field to make sure the player gets the point, since it's so rare to die on the world map.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Deltamatic wrote:The reboot people are made of win. The activate an ancient mainframe goal and the get a minefield map goal can be combined: activate an ancient mainframe which will print out a minefield map when activated.
You have to get the Sacred Boot Disk from the Boot People in order to activate the mainframe :)

Still - I also like an idea of some metal part buried somewhere that he needs a metal detector to find.
Grimson

Post by Grimson »

We should put all sorts of warning signs in front of the mine field to make sure the player gets the point, since it's so rare to die on the world map.
A warning-hand-sign, similar to Pyramid of the Forbidden, and Bloogdome? This way you can avoid using English or "!" in the signs, but still make sure the player gets the message.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Grimson wrote:
A warning-hand-sign, similar to Pyramid of the Forbidden, and Bloogdome? This way you can avoid using English or "!" in the signs, but still make sure the player gets the message.
As I recall, those indicated optional challenge areas, not hazards.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

There could be SGA warning signs, a skull and crossbones, a sign showing somebody being blown up, that sort of thing.