All that stuff, AND Crawl
20%
Other (PLEASE SPECIFY)
13%

Total votes: 15

lemm

New Keen Behaviours!!!

Post by lemm »

What do people think? I for one would definitely like to be able to look up and down. Vorticon mods often suffer from too many blind jumps IMO.

EDIT: The Galaxy Style Shooting is Done. You must set your shooting button to be "northeast" for now. I have jump, pogo, shot, set to S,A,D in this example. Unzip into its own directory and run keenmod.bat

http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/om ... enshot.zip
Last edited by lemm on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

You can do that in Vorticons?
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I guess look and shoot up and down would be great, since it is taking places in a Keen 4-6 like environment (Gnosticus), so that would add to the galaxy feel. I'm amazed that you can do such a thing, lemm.
levellass

Post by levellass »

It makes sense, especially if he uses the extra space patch of his. I have some ideas for using the ice cubes as extra enemies if anyone's interested.) (I'm doing it in my current mod.)
Flyingmouse

Post by Flyingmouse »

I like all of the above, but would it be possible to add health using the lives counter (If you ran out, it would game over.)? I would really like to see that.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

That would skip a lot of the tedious repetition that some levels have under the one hit point system, but on the other hand some people like it that way.

And besides, this would require making Keen invincible for a few moments when he loses health, to avoid him colliding with an enemy sprite, the game deducting one health, the game registering his still being there as another collision, and so on until all health is gone, thus making any monster encounter an instant game over.

This might be possible in episode 3 with the ankh, but that could destroy the possibility of any other uses for the ankh, and besides we'd want something as fundamental as the lives system to remain consistent between episodes.

A possible way to get around this would be clever manipulation of the god mode toggle. Nit: If you hit something deadly while pogoing, you'd briefly fly. This could be exploited to skip sections of levels.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

God Mode pogo flight can be patched out.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Possibly then you want to look at the lives counter code in Shadow Knights.
lemm

Post by lemm »

Keen (and all sprites) have a word typically allocated for "strength," so we could use that. That way we could still have lives on top of health.

Also, as I just found out, there is another variable that gives keen invincibility when set to 1, but no flying pogo. (this might be the ankh counter in keen3).

Anyways, I think the simplest way to add health would be to use the strength variable, patch the keen death procedure to check if strength == 0 before killing him, and then if it isn't 0, give some invincibility time and spawn a sprite (like an ankh bubble.. doesn't have to look like one) that lasts for the invincibility period.

Different sprites/tiles could take different amounts of health as well, and this would be patched into the keen sprite and tile contact procedures.

Shooting up and down IS done: the patch allows shots in 8 directions, but it's set to 4, since that's what people seem to want.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Crawl, Use inventory, Move hanging by hands... basically implementing actions from games like "Gunforce" and "GunForce 2" (MAME) or "Demolution Man" (SEGA) ...those are the Wiki of addtional actions you can add to the main character :)
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Rolling on the ground can be cool...
levellass

Post by levellass »

Lemm: The counter is indeed the Keen 1 equivalent of Ankh, I think pogo flight was added on as part of a debugging strategy.

This will be an interesting collection of patches when successful. Are you considering modding any of the existing sprite behaviors?
lemm

Post by lemm »

Sure... if someone wants to draw, I can write new behaviours.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

I'll consider :) I have some time this weekend :)

Which Keen we are talking about? First Trilogy, Second Trilogy?
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

First trilogy, Keen 1.