Google Wave

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
CommanderSpleen

Google Wave

Post by CommanderSpleen »

I have a handful of invites for Google Wave, and I think it can be of great help to this project (and others like the Patch Index) if we can get a few of us Keen:Modders on there. So far the Wave-Keeners (whom I'm aware of) are Lemm, Genius314, Mink, Iv4n and DaVince.

Being in early development there can be some problems, and I'm not sure how it handles on dial-up connections (looking at Levellass here) but it would be nice to experiment. I have 8 invites, three or four of which I'll reserve for the Keen community.

So, who's interested?
levellass

Post by levellass »

What is Google Wave?
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Unfortunately, nobody can be told what Google Wave is. You have to see it for your-- *ack*

It's an upcoming online collaboration environment. A major part of its objective is to solve the problems encountered in email communication with more than two participants, but it's also intended for things like live document/code editing between a crowd of people. Kind of like multiplayer notepad mixed with forum, blog and social networking elements. Its potential uses are most exciting.

It would work well for managing the CKCM content such as the storyline and tileset. It'd work much the same as the existing threads, but anyone could edit the main post, and the images can be embedded into it instead of having to upload elsewhere first. Conversation about different aspects of the story could be broken off into individual threads instead of having one long sequence of posts as in a pure forum environment where a lot of stuff gets buried.
Mink

Post by Mink »

I completely concur. It would certainly speed up some of the process (especially while it's still in the planning phase). In the unlikely event that you run out of invites, Spleen, I still have one or two I can send out.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Interesting, interesting, I have a program somewhere that lets another person with it share control of your computer. (It's strange to see two mice moving around the screen, and almost scary.)

The big problem *I* think will be getting people to actually supply content.
lemm

Post by lemm »

So... is this going to happen? Because I started making a "shell" of a wave for the community mod. Whatever happens, though, I don't want to fizzle and die.