2.5D?

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
lemm

2.5D?

Post by lemm »

I was wondering if we are going to do actual 2.5D since there is room for more tiles. If we do, this would make it easier to mesh platforms with the background:

But with an actual 2.5D, the upper platform tile would extend all the way into the background, so there would be no gap. Then you would only have to worry about meshing with the background at the end bits (which is still an issue with the current tileset).
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Are you defining 2.5D as Keen:Galaxy style? My preference is toward the Episode Dash style, even if it is slightly more complicated to mesh with the backgrounds.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I'm with Spleen, though this is an interesting consideration.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

I was never a fan of using the Galaxy style in Vorticons. It might work with more tiles, but probably not.
Episode Dash style 2.5D might be cool.
Mink

Post by Mink »

I think we should just use the Episode Dash style. If we went to all the work of creating 2.5D in the style of Galaxy, why not just make a Galaxy mod?
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Mink wrote:I think we should just use the Episode Dash style. If we went to all the work of creating 2.5D in the style of Galaxy, why not just make a Galaxy mod?
Eggxactly
lemm

Post by lemm »

Good, it's unanimous =)

If people do make more foreground tiles, especially one that could be reused in different level themes (Tree branches for example) it might be a good idea to save a copy with a transparent background colour, just so its easier to move the same foreground tile onto a different background later on.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I'm interested in the possibility of 'real close' tiles; that is, tiles that are closer to the player than Keen, and so are larger. What interests me is the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 levels, where scenery at about 2x 'level' size appear in one of the foreground layers of the level. I think it adds another dimension to things. (I can take screenshots if anyone is confused as to my meaning.)
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

levellass wrote:I'm interested in the possibility of 'real close' tiles; that is, tiles that are closer to the player than Keen, and so are larger. What interests me is the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 levels, where scenery at about 2x 'level' size appear in one of the foreground layers of the level. I think it adds another dimension to things. (I can take screenshots if anyone is confused as to my meaning.)
Generally that looks stupid unless they scroll at a slower rate than the rest of the tiles.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I'm all for Dash 2.5d.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Generally that looks stupid unless they scroll at a slower rate than the rest of the tiles.
Hmmmmn, good point, good point. *Hastily deletes graphics*
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

levellass wrote:
Hmmmmn, good point, good point. *Hastily deletes graphics*
Well, don't do that! They could be used for something else...
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

levellass wrote:I'm interested in the possibility of 'real close' tiles; that is, tiles that are closer to the player than Keen, and so are larger. What interests me is the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 levels, where scenery at about 2x 'level' size appear in one of the foreground layers of the level. I think it adds another dimension to things. (I can take screenshots if anyone is confused as to my meaning.)
It's called parallax scrolling, where you devote extra layers that move slower/faster in the foreground and background. It can look great if done well, though generally it's better used in the background, not the foreground.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Background too is an option.

But it wouldn't be parallax, since Keen's layers don't scroll like that. It'd just be tiles that appear to be closer than Keen is. (They'd be foreground or masked for one thing.)