Sprite thread

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
lemm

Post by lemm »

Yes! We are in dire need of sprites, and tiles, and graphics in general.

SPrites
The first episode is set in the Shadowlands from Keen4. There is a overall story thread with a general world map. Some themes we are going to have are cliffs, mountains, tree-forest village at dusk. The sprites are going to be creatures for the most part, but not all the same ones from keen4. Something you would find in the shadowlands.

So far, the only sprites we have are the slug (from keen 4 with a couple extra frames added), your keens, and part of a Hydroloid that Ceilick posted (search for "Hydroloid" it's in one of these threads).

I know we can do 4 frames of animation, I think the max is 6 frames, but don't quote me on that. Sprite behaviours are up to your imagination =).

Tiles

There is a tile thread with all the tiles that we have so far (not very much) that you can check out. The perspective should be kept as shown (i.e., we agreed on no Keen4-6 style 3D tiles)

Tiles can have masks, and up to 2 or 4 frames of animation. There is only one layer of tiles. We have room for 910 tiles in one level, and up to one tilesheet per level.... hope that's enough room :p

They can be sloped at 1:1, 1:2 and 1:4. Top and bottom slopes are allowed.

The non locked threads have more background.

Looking forward to more amazing artwork =).
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

lemm wrote: The first episode is set in the Shadowlands from Keen4
Thank you....it's hard to find clear and ogranized information about that in the threads. I need to have a clear vision of this mod - to work on it.
The sprites are going to be creatures for the most part, but not all the same ones from keen4. Something you would find in the shadowlands.
How different? Recolored Slug from Keen 4? Or Slug - but another type of it? Or something totally not like creatures in Keen 4 - but something that can be logical for those magic forests of ShadowLands?
So far, the only sprites we have are the slug (from keen 4 with a couple extra frames added), your keens, and part of a Hydroloid that Ceilick posted (search for "Hydroloid" it's in one of these threads).
You totally forgot the pickup items spriteset I posted in this very thread...I think we have enouph for the mod to have unique pickup items. Can make more.

But I also have seen a nice tileset here too in the threads....

What is the coding progress of this mod, patch-wise?
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Tiles are easier than enemy animation....so I might start with those...
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Started inventing and adding some enemies :)

shikadi

Post by shikadi »

i like the purple blob "thing".
but the other one looks like a bored bird with a stick, that probably slides over the ground (i dont see his feet moving).
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

I didn't say they are finished :) The red fat bird - I didn't make the other walking frame yet :)
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

We must use the purple blob.
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

yea, he is to good to just be on "paper".
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

We have a quite limited number of possible enemy types for Keen 1 mods (unless that can be patched... can it?), so we should be trying to make the enemies as diverse as we can. The purple blob, while nifty, looks rather similar to a slug, and we'll be using slugs. We could try saving it for another episode, but it seems geared to be a yorp replacement. So: nice, but problematic.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

What about the bird? What's wrong with it?

...working on another enemy, to replace a shooting tank
lemm

Post by lemm »

Deltamatic wrote:We have a quite limited number of possible enemy types for Keen 1 mods (unless that can be patched... can it?)
I don't know if the number of UNIQUE sprites can be patched (probably it can), but there is a trick we can pull. If two sprites behave the same way with regards to contacting other sprites (i.e. vorticon and garg are essentially the same: they kill keen, don't affect any other creatures, and they absorb both types of bullets), then they can be set to the same IN GAME type. On the level map, they would obviously have to be different, but the level loading procedure would set both of their types to the same game type so it would be okay.

Anyways, there is still lots of room for sprites, there is plenty of room for coding in behaviours. I think the limiting factor will be graphics memory.
doomjedi wrote:What about the bird? What's wrong with it?
...working on another enemy, to replace a shooting tank

Can't wait for the shooting tank.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

lemm wrote: Can't wait for the shooting tank.
Then you shouldn't...here is the first draft. I'll try to invent more enemies...

Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

I love that green thing, it would be perfect for the swamp level(s).
Wonder if the tank guy is a mercenary hired by Licks, or a crazy hermit who lives out in the archaeological site, or what.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Deltamatic wrote: Wonder if the tank guy is a mercenary hired by Licks, or a crazy hermit who lives out in the archaeological site, or what.
I don't know, I'm making art blindfolded. Beyond the ShadowLands theme, I don't know much about this mod and there is too much for me to read from 2003....Licks? Who are they? ...do we have archeological site in the mod?

So I'm just inventing enemies randomly....

If someone could summarize for me the art-relevant story topics, enemies and themes of this mod....
How many enemies will we have - will it be enouph for special-themed enemies, like swamp enemies and such?

That could give me more direction artwise