Sprite thread

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

play keen4 on hard and the first teal colored creatures that jump towards you are licks.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Got it :) They just don't look to smart to hire anybody...
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

The main map proposition has them building castles, and stuff. So I guess they're smart enough to hire people.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

doomjedi wrote:If someone could summarize for me the art-relevant story topics, enemies and themes of this mod....
How many enemies will we have - will it be enouph for special-themed enemies, like swamp enemies and such?
Here is the main world map proposition and a story outline. Enemies are rather vague, but they'll include at least slugs and licks.

Oh. Looks like I'll be double-posting. ... Sorry about that.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Deltamatic wrote:The main map proposition has them building castles, and stuff. So I guess they're smart enough to hire people.
Another peice of puzzle put to place :) Doomjedi slowly pick up the puzzle peices of this mod :) Thank you :)

Though for me - Gnosticenes look far smarter and more interesting.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

Yeah, Gnosticenes will be involved, if not in the two later episodes at least in the final episode. For episode 1, Keen's in some wilderness far away from the main Gnosticene city, and he's trying to head over there.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Deltamatic wrote:Wonder if the tank guy is a mercenary hired by Licks
I prefer this option.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Hmm, I wonder if the licks should have some kind of Pharaoh figure as their leader, or at least have done so in the past and evolved into more of a medieval-style kingdom. They could be the ones who built the pyramids.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

I thought the Gnosticene Ancients built the pyramids--though, as a plot twist, maybe the Licks have really been the Gnosticene Ancients all along.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Yes, that is more logical...as Licks don't have hands - how can they build anything? :)
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Added new (and weird :) ) enemy:

Last edited by doomjedi on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.
CommanderSpleen

Hahaha. It took me a moment to figure out what the deal was with that last one. It's hilarious. I wonder if it might fit into the second episode better than the first though.

I agree with the bird sentiment. It looks a bit plain. But Keen 4 had a bird, so it makes sense that there could be other species around the place.

Wait... is it mopping the floor?
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

CommanderSpleen wrote:But Keen 4 had a bird
That's why I made it :) A bird, but different...
Wait... is it mopping the floor?
Yep...at first it had a stick...but people hated it...and said he will only fit as GARG replacer...so I changed it to fit Yorp/Robot spots...pushing Keen with his broom rather than killing him
I wonder if it might fit into the second episode better than the first though.
Is it because of the color? To fit the ice theme? Remember - each enemy can be easily recolored to any other color, to fit whatever theme you want. Can even appear on more than one episode, in different color.

The same goes to the "swamp" creature, that can be red or blue (ice creature, Yeti....)...not just green...whatever you might need fora particular theme.
CommanderSpleen

The janitor bird has a very Keenish humour to it, and makes it much more interesting than the original idea. It could fit into the tree theme rather well, keeping the slugs' houses clean.

As for those Keen sprites earlier, IMKO it would be better to adapt one from a mod instead of using the original Vorticons Keen. Though I do like the ideas you've put forth as far as the extra actions, and most of them are very well adapted from the original sprite. This thread addresses the matter.

We'll figure out the remaining creatures when we have the story and map properly sorted, so we know what themes they need to adhere to. Do keep it up, as even if they don't get used in this project they'll probably be borrowed by someone else one day. But I'm all for using the creatures you've put forth here so far.

Hmm, there are a number of others floating around that were designed long ago, aren't there? We should dig them up.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

CommanderSpleen wrote: As for those Keen sprites earlier, IMKO it would be better to adapt one from a mod instead of using the original Vorticons Keen. Though I do like the ideas you've put forth as far as the extra actions, and most of them are very well adapted from the original sprite. This thread addresses the matter.
This is alot of my work going down the drain...
But maybe I'll agree to redo it for the new-selected Keen. Though it's less exciting than adding frames to the "canonic", Original Keen...so the motivation and the "Muse" will be weaker.