Site Admin

Platform

Post by Fleexy »

I made a platform for the mod:

Enjoy, and modify as needed!

--Fleexy
Bonevelous

Post by Bonevelous »

Warning- stepping on these could result in a trip to the hospital.

Good platform by the way... It's a little plasticy in the middle, but it is very good quality... I think I could fix the plasticyness. Is it all right if I do that? :)
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

The spikes seem a little flat... maybe add a bit of dark gray on the right?

And I'm sure Fleexy won't mind you modifying his tiles -- after all, your only suggesting an alternate version, and his version will still be there.
Bonevelous

Post by Bonevelous »

genius314 wrote:The spikes seem a little flat... maybe add a bit of dark gray on the right?
Now that you mention it, those spikes are really flat... DX

Are these better?
genius314 wrote:And I'm sure Fleexy won't mind you modifying his tiles -- after all, your only suggesting an alternate version, and his version will still be there.
Assuming he won't mind, then...

Does it look kind of grainy with all those pixels, though? S:-\

Edit: They were dying for more detail. <_< Plus, DIFFERENT TIMES!!!! (da dada daaaa)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

The blocks are perfect now.
levellass

Post by levellass »

This tileset is shaping up nicely. However, I believe those spikes are gong to have to have the ground they're on drawn into them. (But I am not sure.) due to our slightly 2.5D perspective.
lemm

Picket Fence Tiles

Post by lemm »

Hi, all. I made some picket fence tiles. 3 of each for 3 different backgrounds (cyan, dither, dark). I think they would work for either a pasture or a suburban setting. But maybe keen doesn't run into that in episode 1. Anyway:

The tiles:

Some examples:

The red bricks would just be any tile that has a 16 pixel vertical black outline so that the background fences "work"

The dither ones still need a little work... also, the fences are just a solid colour. If someone wants to add a little more detail go for it.
Last edited by lemm on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
lemm

Post by lemm »

Also:

Making black outlined pointy things against the dither tile (specifically, two 45 degree diagonals coming together), can give weird effects, because the outline can either line up or not line up with the dither.

I did a little experimenting and I think using gray pixels such as I did makes it look better when the viewed at scale 2x, as opposed to just blindly extending the dither pattern. (Viewed on 21.5" LCD at 1920x1080)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I like the fences very much. Since we need tiles for the slug village, these might be used after all. Spleen, update the Tilset.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

This stuff is looking sveet. I'll get onto incorporating them very soon! Does someone want to experiment with combining the fences with the wooden dwellings, and maybe figuring out a way of terminating the edges?
lemm

Well

Post by lemm »

A well (for lifewater perhaps?)

I used GraphicsGale this time.
Last edited by lemm on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
lemm

Fence Tiles Revamped

Post by lemm »

I redid my fence tiles. made them 1px taller and flattened the tops, redid outline... the night ones look a little better at least.

Went from 9 down to 6 tiles too.

if anyone is interested, we have about 320 tiles to go, from the tileset you have posted. (removing all the mars tiles and leaving the keycards, exits, and filler points items)
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

The terminator on the non-spaced fence looks a bit repetitive to me, but it's the best solution so far. I'll put them in as-is for now.

Edit: Alrighty, it's updated. The base of the well is set to blocking, just to see how it goes. Now, anyone up for trying out some level design with what we've got? And we still need some monotony breakers for the mountains.
levellass

Post by levellass »

This is awesome stuff! Real talent that is!
lemm

Forest Level

Post by lemm »

http://rapidshare.com/files/256615850/stuff.zip.html

Well here is a possibility: Keen starts on the forest floor and works up to the exit, in the treetops. In the next level, keen could start in the tree tops and work his way on to a plateau, which uses the platforms.

I also chose this because I think the trees are the strongest point so far... whoever did the leaves did an awesome job.

I tweaked the tileinfo a bit:
1) Some tiles still had keen1 properties, so I just changed those.
2) I noticed that there were redundant tree trunks (the brown ones), so I changed one of them foreground, and one to foreground + top blocking to make the foreground trees.
3) I played with the wooden hut tiles to get the effect I had in my mind.

Thoughts about a forest-themed level (if people want to do one):

If the horizon is hidden and there are no slopes, the 2.5D perspective can be used with the current tileset, if the bright green tiles on the floor are changed to be dark green dither into black.

What I originally had in mind was starting with cyan leaves at the bottom, and working to golden red leaves at the top. But there would need to be at least 2 more leaf-to-leaf interface tiles for this effect, and 4 on top of that so that it would look better. Also, the cyan leaves would need a set of tiles to interface with darkness, but these would be easy to make.

The huts could use a couple of interface-with-dark tiles for the edges, as well as pieces for inside the windows.

The teddy bears seem to be one pixel off.

Other ideas for new forest-village tiles : branches that terminate by tapering, thinner branches, skinny tree trunk background and random tree branch backgrounds, campfire, logs with holes, mushrooms, a fence that goes in the foreground.