Tile Submission Thread

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

genius314, That's a contribution right there.

Keen Dreams+ style is how I envision the map. Go crazy with it. We're going to use the flags patch and disable the DONE markers. Also note blocking tiles can be set anywhere for any level.

I like these designs so far though, you're on the right track.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Thank you :)

I'd need a better concept clarification for most other art.

But hi-res art...you know...is much harder to make...
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

Keen 4 level art seems to consist of six tile wide, four tile high rectangles with the occasional additional tiles above the actual level graphic.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Wow...that's...a big size.

By "tile" you mean/define 16x16 or 32x32? (excuse the Keen-newbie again...)

so we talk 96x64? Dang, that's even bigger than Wolf3D art resolution I'm used for...Well...we'll see what I can do...

BTW - by clarification I mean the art ideas/concepts behind the map icons
levellass

Post by levellass »

Bah, that's a simple matter; 20 minutes gets you a good level start graphic. What's hard is making complex and engaging trees grass and streams.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

doomjedi wrote:By "tile" you mean/define 16x16 or 32x32? (excuse the Keen-newbie again...)
Hey, we're all noobs some time or another. ;) 16x16, fortunately.

1. Crashed BwB - clearing edged by trees, flaming rocket debris scattered around. It's fall and at sunset, so the tree leaves are rather red.
2. Forest - Fall sunset forest.
3. Algal pool - Think like this, but bigger.
4. Canyon - a big, brown canyon. Background is like this.
5. Geyser - Same background as canyon, but with big geysers.
6. Tree city - Sunset fall forest again, but with a really big tree filled with treehouses.
7. Slug town 1 - pleasant little village, cobblestone, cottages, etc.
8. Estuary ford - rivulets flowing to the sea. Stones poke up through the water.
9. Swamp 1 - an old, green mucky swamp.
10. Swamp 2 - more of the same, but different somehow.
11. Cemetery - lots of gravestones on a hill. Pointy iron fence surrounds it.
12. Slug town 2 - pleasant village's marketplace.
13. Waterfall - the bottom of a gigantic waterfall. Background is gray stone.
14. Lick city - brooding structures of metal and rock packed together with narrow streets winding through. Against same gray stone as waterfall, but more flat.
15. Lick moat and gatehouse - front part of a castle's moat with the drawbridge drawn halfway up (Keen pogos onto its edge to get inside) and a square tower with arrow slits in it above the drawbridge. Same rock and metal as last time. Same background as last time.
16. Lick castle - Same building materials, same background, but it's a big castle. Towers, turrets, parapets, Lick banners fluttering.
17. Slug bridge - a big bridge the pleasant village built across a river. Somewhat rickety, with lots of rotting planks and the occasional hole.
18. Archaeological site 1 - excavations, archaeologists' camp.
19. Archaeological site 2 - ruins. Think Egypt--obelisks, pyramids, an alien sphinx.
20. Archaeological site 3 - more ruinous ruins, with more things crumbling and toppled. Statues, bas-reliefs, pillars.
21. Archaeological site 4 - the Egyptian ruins fade away, revealing the more Mayan/alien/geometric things they were built on top of, true remnants of Gnosticene Ancient civilization.
22. Meadows - very lush, green, flowery place.
23. Stream - small stream running right to left. Grass background.
24. Lake - big blue lake, island in the middle, another stream running into it on right and out of it on the left. Grass background.
25. Rainbow - a rainbow up in the sky, against the cliff background the waterfall was against. Bottom-left part sprouts from the waterfall, arcing up to the top-right part.
26. Beach - sandy seaside place.
27. Misty woods - tall, coniferous trees, as opposed to the deciduous trees in the fall sunset forest.
28. Foothills - patches of grass on pink hills.
29. Mine shaft - old wooden structure built above a hole that plunges underground.
30. Secret area 1 - a tropical island resort.

What will the other two secret area levels be? Any references to the Keen community, or other Keen games?
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Oh, thanks you...exactly what I needed...so - 96x64?

Now...- should I keep the same excavation are just expanding it with more items - or upsizing exsiting art adding more detail? 2 columns or 1 column double size?
Hope you get my question....One double-res castle with more detail (Keen 4 style) - or just adding more areas to existing castle, keeping the current detail level of Keen 1?

Like upper one? - or bottom one + detail?

CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

The excavation sites would be awesome as modular graphics that can be arranged in different ways.

Woah, it just occurred to me that we've practically completed the first two steps that were laid out as prerequisites for graphics. I'll check that this is the case and make sure we're clear on how to proceed next.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

I think I'll use Keen 4 art as a base for my art..at least in some cases....you have a "skeleton" of a castle there, and such... useful.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Checked:

Keen 4 "map spot" art is 7 x 5 tiles = 112 x 80 pixels.

A few are 6 x 4 tiles = 96 x 64 pixels.

Which do we prefer?
lemm

Post by lemm »

There is enough room for 910/32 = on average 28 tiles per level, but there needs to be room for non-level tiles as well.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Started to test some art ideas....

Last edited by doomjedi on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mink

Post by Mink »

The shading of the water looks a little weird as it is (I suggest some slight dithering rather than large horizontal sections of dark blue), but overall those are looking great, doomjedi, especially the green slime pools.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

I know you're just playing around with the style right now, but I hope you vary the shapes of the lakes and excavation areas a bit. It looks weird to have them all exactly the same.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Wow, those are really nice. I still worry about things like trees and streams though.