KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Wholy garg, that ain't much! :)
Ilsoap

IT'S DONE!!!

Post by Ilsoap »

Lego Keen is finished.

Wow. Can't quite believe I said that, but Lego Keen is indeed finished. I just need one patch of some kind to get rid of the "Ordering Info" section of the menu, and then I believe I can release Lego Keen.

Woo hoo. And stuff.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Nice to hear Lego Keen is.. Wha??
:) YES!! Party!! :) :)
CommanderSpleen

OMG! This subject line has nothing to do with the message!

Post by CommanderSpleen »

*engorges leg in celebration*

Sorry I didn't get any beta testing feedback for ye, but I shall definitely shout random things about how great it is when I play the full thing.

Why not just change the 'Ordering Info' text to something more relevant, such as some background info on the mod/you/Lego or something like that? It'd be a lot quicker and easier, and likely more interesting.

>CommanderSpleen
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

Because of the way the text is set up. It's in three groups - a top group and two at the bottom, separated by the yorp/garg sprite doing its thing. The way I've set up my text, doing a lot of text using the 1fon0000.bmp is a real pain... it's built more for small graphical titles. It's really hard to fit anything in the space given.

I could try to put something there, but I'd really prefer not to be able to get in there at all.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Yes, yes, YES!!!!!!!

Woohoo! LEGO KEEN!!

I was wondering, how many/which of the advanced patches in the vorticons forum did you use? What I mean is, how many patches did you use that were 'discovered' since Keen: Modding?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Probably quite many. :)
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

Ooh... posting from memory (not at my home computer):

- Vorticon Commander in different level
- changing the status window
- disabling cheat codes (the C+T+Space cheat)'
- change location of teleporters

Including the patches for changing the text around in the finale and the level hints, I believe that's about it. Thought there were more, though.
Stickmanofdoom

Post by Stickmanofdoom »

You're going to disable the cheats? What i'm going to do in my mod, is reveal the changed cheat codes in a secret level or at the end of the game, kinda like the SGA. That way, you would have played the game through without cheating the first time, but later, if you just want to mess around, you can cheat. Just a suggestion, but don't do it if it will make it take longer to get the game out!
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

It wouldn't take me longer, and I didn't disable the GOD cheat. I disabled the other one, though, because in Lego Keen, the pogo stick isn't a given item right from the start. The entire game can be completed without it. The pogo stick is instead a reward item, helping you reach extra places and items you couldn't get normally (and helping you finish some levels faster). It helps prolong gameplay too, because when you finally locate the pogo stick, you'll want to go back to the levels you've already played and see what you've missed. :)
JosephBurke

it's christmas!

Post by JosephBurke »

Sounds fascinating.

I look forward to playing this mod and several others I haven't played yet over Christmas break. :D
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

My break starts next week.. Definitely going to play some mods! :)
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

Lego Keen is, as far as I can tell, completely finished. I'm going to look over it tomorrow again, but it truly is done. So tomorrow, I'll e-mail both Adurdin and KeenRush so they can host the mod (like they requested in the Sticky note above). Once I find out the address of where it's hosted, I'll personally announce it on the Keen forums.

If there is a high enough response to this mod, there's the possibility that I'll create another version of the mod; "Lego Keen: Special Edition". No details yet about it, but if it's made, it would be like the difference between VHS and DVD. 8)
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Too bad CKVault is down (and will be forever because it is stopped), but as soon as I'm opening my new site (in 2004), can I add it to my site then? :)
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

Sure, that's fine. Whoever owns spatang.com can upload it onto their system, too.

Today was a very gratifying day. For the first time, I got to play my mod. I know that sounds a little strange, since I created the thing, and I've been playing it for months now. But today was the first day I got to actually play my game, without thinking about level design, or artistic changes, or new tiles that I should add to my tileset. I got to just play the levels, as if it were my first time playing. I got to actually be surprised when I died on a level trap that I had forgotten about when I put it there two months ago.

I've heard that there are two major points when it's the hardest to work on a project like this: when it's 5% done, and when it's 95% done. When it's 5% done, you still hardly have anything completed, and you're not sure if it's worth continuing on (hence, the amount of Keen fangames that never get past cheesy-looking beta stage).

When you're 95% done, though, the reality hits that soon it's going to be done. Only a few more hours of tinkering, and it's going to be shown to everyone. All the loose ends that you've been putting off until the end of production have to be wrapped up, and you gotta grit your teeth and do it. That was what I went through over the last week.

But playing it today was totally worth it, even if no one else likes it (don't worry, I know you guys like it, who have played the beta).

Thank you all for all of your help in making this possible. All the patches, and critiquing, and artistic advice, and even the little conversations that I never contributed to... some of those inspired me in this game too.

Thanks.