The Keys of Krodacia

Showcase your completed mod here!
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

The Keys of Krodacia

Post by Ceilick »

Here it is, the first full length keen 4 mod entitled: "'The Universe is Toast' Episode 7: The Keys of Krodacia".

http://www.keengrid.net/ckfiles/modifications/Keen7.zip

Ive been working on this mod since the release of Modkeen 2, and a lot of people have helped out with ideas, patches, and other things. Thanks everybody! Im interested in everyones comments about it, especialy on how I can improve since I'll be working on a keen 6 mod next(not for at least a few months though). Tell me what you like, what you hate, and let me know about any bugs you find. Have fun playing! :)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Oooh, 5 views and its only been up 14 miniutes!

I'd like to say something, but sadly I must go to bed now. I'll wait for KeenRush and Xky to comment, and see if they miss anything I want to say. [Usually they write a reply for me.]
KeenRush
Patch Maker

The mod

Post by KeenRush »

This mod is just fantastic. It's so awesome! It's full of great ideas that I would've never thought of!

I just played the mod (on easy), and will soon play it again on some harder level. I took a few screens in medium mode and posted them at TGMM:
http://keengrid.net/tgmm/garg.php?id=64

Anyways, let's see..

The story is amusing and pretty Keenish. After browsing around the help texts and seeing all those excellent pictures there I started to play. It's all new Keen! The graphics are stunning, the sprites are so detailed (and Keenish). Levels are pretty well made, and have all kinds of interesting places. The enemy replacements are very creative (see for yourself), and there's some cool patching. As I've already said, this mod has a lot pretty creative stuff.. So cooool..
Overall, this is one of the best Keen mods ever done!

I can believe the amount of work this has taken has been huge.. Wow, this proves that full Keen 4-6 mods actually are humanly possible. :)

Only bugs I could see were a few typos -- and somewhere it reads "Shadowlands" where it probably should read "Krodacia".

As you'll notice, there'll be three midi files in the directory.. Those are composed by me, and were going to be in-game music. But as the new music couldn't get imported to the game, for some reason, they can't be heard in the game (duh). And I must apologize; as it appeared that the music can't be get into the game I pretty much stopped making it (and I've been pretty busy too). Otherwise there would've been more, and those would've been better. Sorry about that.. :o

Anyways, can't wait for the other mods, there's a few cool small screens about that stuff.. And it looks really excellent! :O
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

I loved the mod, well done, though the fact that there were some recolered keen5 tiles didn't look too good on some of the levels.

also, some tiles weren't properly masked.

Well done, I must play more today...
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

Thanks for the feedback. I might attempt to fix all the little bugs once everyones played and reported everything thats wrong.

Its really too bad that I couldnt import the music Keenrush made, those are some great tunes! I couldnt get the game to import them properly, so you'll have to play them externally while you play.

Freeyorp101: What tiles are you refering to? Im pretty sure the all the tiles that I did rip are used throughout keen 4-6, so i figured why not include them in this mod also. Which tiles weren't masked right?
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

FINALLY, THE FIRST KEEN4 MOD!!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY IT!!!! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR A LONG TIME!

Off topic Sidenote: Keenrush, could you add my mods to your site?

Edit: Managed to pull myself out of the game long enough to comment. I haven't seen much of the game yet, and I'm not looking at the enemies in the helpfile until I meet them- I want to be surprised. But what I've seen is very impressive. Excellent job Ceilick! I'll give a more complete review later.

Double edit: Found a bug. In the Forest Tunnels, in the lower right side, one of the Nosdrill gets stuck after trying to drill you going down a hill to the left. It can't move after trying.
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

THE FIRST KEEN4 MOD!!!!
what about birdman and benvolio's torgopois? :P

Don't worry, I know what you mean.

Something occasionally goes wrong with the poles, you may wish to look at those. Not sure which one it is, though at times keen sticks his arm out.
also, the door (like at the start of 'the private manor') seems to have the top left section made of jelly :). Also explore the way the drill goes across the pole hole... It's like it's drilling air and finding dirt.
Its really too bad that I couldnt import the music Keenrush made
There's something on importing music in the pckf's xkykeen4 thread.

-------------

Did anyone else find 7 lives in the first level? ;)
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

Stealthy71088: With the nosdrill, that only rarely happens. It probably has somthign to do with the hit box, but I dont think I'm going to go about fixing it sinse its rare.

Freeyorp101: Im still not sure what recolored keen 5 tiles your talking about. Im also not sure what you mean by the door being made of "jelly".

And I did read the article on the PCKF and I used the utilities it recomended, but it didnt work. The keen engine wouldnt accept the new music files.
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

The keen engine wouldnt accept the new music files.
You need a frese copy of keen4 before the unlzexe process, then change the music and then unlzexe the exe for the mod. this should work, and if it doesn't, I'm not sure what to do next.
door being made of "jelly".
That was my joke: the way the doors perspecive worked, if keen jumpes up, his arm can stick through the frame :D.
what recolored keen 5 tiles
I was pointing out that I didn't like the tiles.

The incorrectly masked tiles are the pole, the door and I *THINK* there was something else...
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

:D :

Secret of the oracle?
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

Intersting. In 'the fun house', you can shoot straight through the blue platform without opening it, if you stand on the ledge. I'd edit the level, since this is to do with keens bounding rectange, which is a lot trickier to correctly edit than the level.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Here's a bug I found. In the Forest Skies level, if you go down to tbe bottom left area (where you need a key, I think yellow) without the needed key, and you are playing on normal or hard, you can't get back up to the main part of the level to get the key you need. By pogoing on the invisible blocks, you can get just high enough in easy mode to get up there, but it seems to be impossible in medium in hard.

I really like the slurple's licking animation. I died a few extra times just so i could see that again.

I snuck into the water levels even though I didn't make it really that far yet- I like to save the Well of Wishes for last- so I could see the Ogobogo. You did a really nice job with the creature. It's just as deadly as the dopefish, and looks really cool to boot. The Ogobogos are incredibly fast, and the levels are set up to take full advantage of that.

In the Forest Tunnels, I died a number of times by the same nosdrill near the second to closest pole to the flames. It's "ant hill" frames blended in perfectly with the pole's hole, causing me to get drilled 8 or 9 times in a row at the same spot. It was pretty funny.
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

I used a clean copy of keen 4, but that still didnt work. I guess keenrush's music was too good for the game or somthing. :)

With the doors being unmasked right, if you look carefully, the orginal keens had the same problem ;) and i cant find the incorrectly masked pole you talking about.

heh, i wanted to change that "secret of the oracle" stuff, but it was beyond me on how to do it, and i figured no one would care that much if it was unchanged. obviously i was mistaken :)

That thing with the bridge is interesting, i'll have to fix that.

Glad your enjoying the game Stealthy! In the forest skies, while its true you cant get up to the very top where all the points are, it should be possible to get back up where the key is. To do this, pogo up above where the yellow door is, then pogo onto the platform above that, climb the pole, and on the left should be the elevator to the key. Heh, and did you find the secret exit to that level?
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

obviously i was mistaken :)
Not at all. I was doing my usual bug hunt and thought you might like to know, though obviously you already know. :)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Next time we must edit it then!

*attempts to learn how*