Benvolio's Puzzle Level

Showcase your completed mod here!
Benvolio

Benvolio's Puzzle Level

Post by Benvolio »

Here is my puzzle level, released a week late. It is located in the new "Other Keen Stuff" section of Benvolio's Workbench. It can be reached at:

http://www.maguidhir.com/benvolio/benvolio_puzzle.zip

I don't know if I really should be posting this here- it's just a level and some basic tiles and a title screen, nothing else. Still, enjoy (as always).
najawa

Late?

Post by najawa »

A week late? I never Remembered a time limit, I don't even think there was really a contest, just a little way to get us modders modding.

-- NAJAWA --
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Very nice! :) Haven't finished it yet; got stuck somewhere and should start again..
najawa

Holy Crap!!!

Post by najawa »

Oh man! BTW - It counts as a mod:

1) You modded the graphics

2) You edited the levels

3) You patched

Tell me what else you need to do to qualify.

Really nice!

BTW - How many different types of keys did you use (I know there can only be 4 different types, but you can make 8 - or more - different tiles into keys).

Benvolio - This is amazing!!!

Keep it up.

My favorite thing about this 'mod,' is that it mixes puzzle, with danger just perfectly. My puzzle level was puzzling because you had to jump over a kill tile, avoid tank bots, grab a key, and evaid gargs till you got to the door, repeat. Yours basically tunes down the danger, a bit, and tunes up the brain.

Now, I just got to beat it; it's quite large. Darn the fact that you can't save inside a level.

-- NAJAWA --
CommanderSpleen

Eeg.

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Ooooom. Door maze!! I likey.

That's one massive level... I got through about two teleporters and died on a stupid lone tile of purple sludge. I'm not trying it again for a while. >:(

The way this is designed, it probably would have been better to separate that level into a bunch of smaller ones. There's no need to backtrack to earlier sections of the level, so they may as well be separate files. That way, you might have been able to keep my attention span for longer.

Edit: Nice use of keys, btw. I didn't see anywhere that you used this to its full effect, though; putting two or more different doors of the same letter but varying colours with only a single key (the second to be retrieved behind one of the doors) would make the player have to think that little bit harder to remember what colour each keycard was that has been collected in order to make the right choice as to which door to enter.

As I said, I haven't completed the level so for all I know you may have used this idea in it somewhere.
Last edited by CommanderSpleen on Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
najawa

AHHHHRRRRGG!!!

Post by najawa »

I FINNALLY BEAT THE LEVEL... After:

1) About 17 tries
2) I realized that some keys wern't keys, but fakes you were supposed to think you had to get so Benvolio's Mod would take a few hours longer.
3)Unlike Keen 4-6, you can't stack keys. I, at first, got keys, but then relized I was short some. Later, I had to see if I already had that key. (BTW - Duh, there are 16 different keys - You help file says so.)
4)It is hard
5) If you die... You start over

I am never going to play that mod again, it is too hard. But at least I finnally beat it... Without cheats! 8-J

Okay... Maybe I'll play it again, but not for a very long time.

*Thinks about wringing Benvolio's Neck*

*Thinks about being banned from the forum if he does so*

Benvolio, I really do like the mod. I mean 3 days! You work very fast. I also am amazed at the complexity.

"Warning to Begginers: This product could cause seizures or other types of Neurological disorders due to the fact that your brain is not as complex, and is mentally weak compared to Benvolio, who has the greatest IQ of any living being; at 315, he is intelligent enough to destroy the universe if he pleased."

-- NAJAWA --

(You have been warned, you who art mentally weak)
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

By "a week late" I mean I intended to release it a week earlier. As for using the 16 keys to full effect, I was reluctant to do this as the letters were clearly shown. Still I did this in a few places, most notably the start of the level, with the purple and white keys. Thanks for being patient and absorbed enough to play my level 17 times, najawa, and thanks to anyone else who played it even once. I only played it through once myself, and even then I had GOD on but not CTSPACE.
grafix

Post by grafix »

It worries me when someone can't even play their own level without cheats. :) Even my super-fast reaction test where you had to hit the tiny little stick-figure in about half a second was possible for me eventually.
najawa

Your welcome

Post by najawa »

Why, your totally welcome; It was a puzzle level, and I love puzzles, though usually word finds don't make you restart, and they don't have boiling acid pits, but I'm okay with that. It was tricky, but I just had to beat it. It is, after all, only one level. To beat it it compleatly on the first try would take around 10 - 15 minutes.

Good luck to the more unlucky (those unfortunate people who have died more than I have).

-- NAJAWA --
Root16

Post by Root16 »

Does anyone have a working link to this puzzle mod or want to host it somewhere so I can download it? :)
levellass

Post by levellass »

Root16

Post by Root16 »

Thank you! And everyone else who provided links. :) This puzzle map is pretty good, but I wish there were save points along the way.
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

I think my dad reconfigured the layout of his webspace a couple of years ago (as he is entitled to do)... but I find that this link works:

http://www.maguidhir.com/fionn/benvolio ... puzzle.zip

In hindsight, it really wasn't a particularly good puzzle level, as it really relies on one or two very simple tricks with the keycard/doors. I thought that there were better puzzles in some of my 'Musical Keen' levels, and they were not pile up in the same level the way they are in this 'Puzzle Level Mod'. Thanks for playing as the level approaches a decade in existence!
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Benvolio wrote:Thanks for playing as the level approaches a decade in existence!
STAHP!
levellass

Post by levellass »

CommanderSpleen wrote:
Benvolio wrote:Thanks for playing as the level approaches a decade in existence!
STAHP!
Now now, just because *someone's* mod has spent a decade in NONexistence...