Musical Keen

Showcase your completed mod here!
Benvolio

Musical Keen

Post by Benvolio »

Benvolio is proud to release Musical Keen, a Keen1 mod set in Billy's home city. It can be downloaded at:

www.maguidhir.com/benvolio/benvolio_musical_keen.zip

Benvolio is also happy to unleash his brand new look on his site, Benvolio's Workbench, which can be reached at:

http://www.maguidhir.com/benvolio/

Enjoy!!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Woah! ::drool:: Impressive! Really cool stuff!
BTW, the download links on your website (both in Downloads and in Musical Keen page) points to xmaskeen.zip.. Better change those. ;)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Ah, nice stuff. Quality simalar to that of your other contributions, with a playful inventive atmosphere.

Xky: LL, this level of yours is huge! 90x50? Really!

*LL shows Xky musical Keen*

Xky: *faints*
XkyRauh

hehe

Post by XkyRauh »

This is pretty good, Benvolio! I've got a question, though. Go all the way to the bottom right of the map. Now go to the left 3 buildings, and go up 2 buildings. There's a level there. I go down right to get red, down left to use red to get yellow. Up right to use yellow and get blue, and up left to use blue and get green. But what in the heck do I do with green? :-) Did you forget something, or is it hidden so well I couldn't find it? I ended up quitting to title and skipping this one.

Edit: Okay, I beat the game! :-D Nice work with the ending sequence. Your art looks like it's getting better. I didn't find the organ all to myself or get my head split open by rocks, but I found most of the other stuff. I really enjoyed your big rock concert in the Whistle level. Kudos on another succesful release, Benvolio!

Edit2: Yes, this is definitely Benvolio's best mod yet. My biggest complaint is with the incredibly large and bland world map. It does a good job of making the city feel huge, but half the time I was just wandering empty streets looking for levels. :-( The whole thing could have been just as good at half-size.
Last edited by XkyRauh on Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

I think this is the best Benvolio mod this far. I really like this. The story is funny, so are the characters, and the vorticon replacements cute. :) Highly recommended mod.
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

Thanks for those comments everyone! I fixed the zip link, a few seconds ago.

As for the map, I just worked out a formula for realistic-looking streets, then filled a level 120x120 with it! I think by now you know my style is to make stuff as big as possible.

And I hope those key mazes weren't too hard, especially the one with 6 yellow doors in a row. At least I test my levels now, not like back in the Vanished to Venus days.

And that organ is hard to miss - you just have to use a teleporter in the rock-concert level.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

The rock concert was amazing. Coolest scene I've seen in a mod so far. :)

Yeah, those levels are huge. The world map is a bit too large I think, it took a lot time for me to walk around and make sure I play every level. :)
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Cool!

This was really cool, but i hated the map level!!

One level you had to go to each corner of a level to get a keycard but there was no where to use the last one.
EDIT: Its the level Xky was talking about. I can't beat it.
Harvey

Post by Harvey »

I like it. so I'll review it...

STORY: 6/10
Mortimer has stolen the instruments of Keen's family and now Keen needs to find the instruments.
Pros: The whole story is a pro. :)
Cons: I don't think Mortimer would be interested in instruments

LEVELS: 4/10
The levels are WAY too large. I felt like I was never gonna find a level on the map level.
Pros: Uh... There are levels
Cons: They're way too big

ART: 5/10
The art isn't bad... It's just not that great. The dyeing vorticon animation looks weird. The yorp statue doesn't look good either. But I have to admit, the garg replacement and Keen replacement look cool.

FUN: 5/10
The levels are just too big to call fun, but I found the "Find the keys and use them where they belong" goal TONS of fun.

Overall: 25/40
This is definitely a game you will want to try out, unless you hate huge levels. :P

DOWNLOAD: Unless you like really big levels, probably not.

HOST ON THE WEB: Definitely!
Last edited by Harvey on Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
grafix

Post by grafix »

Shouldn't that be 25/40, since there are four categories each out of 10. 25/100 makes it look like you only gave it a 3/10, as opposed to a 6/10.
HOST: Definitely!
What do you mean?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Cons: I don't think Mortimer would be interested in instruments
Well, only as an instrument (pun alert) to annoy/torture Keen.. The story was fun, I loved the part where Mort said something about Blaze household being for more quieter for now on..
XkyRauh

haha

Post by XkyRauh »

Harvey, before you say these levels are too big, I demand you go and play Benvolio's first set of mods--and, if you're up for it, a few levels of poor Unfleex's first mod, the 4 Golden Crystals. THOSE mods had some gigantic levels. Musical Keen is very comfortable by comparison. :-)
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

And if you enjoy key mazes like that, try Levellord's Shadow Keen 2 ;-D . It makes my key mazes look like level 2 of Keen1. Still, useful comments... I'll try to implement further restraint on my level creation, having seen that 120x120 levels are not as hot a thing as I thought they were! After all, the secret level of Keen1 seems huge yet it's only something like 50x50 in size.

And i'll have to do away with repetitive maps as well!
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Please tell me how to beat that level with the four keys!! (the one xky mentioned)
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

ive played most if not all of benvolio's other stuff, and the size just adds a sense of challenge to it i find.

I find that the size of levels depend a lot on how their organized. One of my harder levs is 100 something by 70, or something like that. But its organized into 4 separate areas, one that was so hard (i must have died 30-40 times) that i made it optional, but very, very rewarding. Beating that area can make the difference between a good high score and a through the roof one. When u play it though, it seems very short.

Hey Benvolio, u gonna make a keen3 mod any time soon? im curious about wht you would do with ankhs...

Oh Benvolio, I really like wht u do with those screenshots. u ever thought of a career in advertising?