The Clones of Evil - Episode 1: The Galaxy of M!

Showcase your completed mod here!
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

your artwork makes me jealous
*stares at Gemod1*

LL: *grumble* Thinks he can draw so good!

*Looks at finger painting*

LL: *grumble* smart a$$ 5 year olds!

I just hope Xky's right that my second mod will be as good as XK2 is compared to XK1. :-)
LL: You are learning fast little one.

314: Xky has taught me well.

LL: But now your training is at an end. Give in, turn to the dark side of modding...

314: Never!

LL: Poorly built levels and ripped artwork is your future... look, I ripped your graphics into a new mod!

314: Thats unatural! Be gone!
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

the graphics are well drawn and your levels are nice, but the whole theme/plot of the mod is kind of a "been there done that" deal. It reminded me too much of episode x and episode y. Still, the graphics and levels were great.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

What do you mean too much like X and Y??
It has a whole new story!! Mortimer is being cloned!!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

The graphic style is more Episode Xish than Yish. BUT that's Genius314's style. The graphics are a lot darker than in Episode X, and the Episode Xish atmosphere is probably caused by the sprite, that looks a bit Xkyish.
Anyways, I don't think it's "been there done that", it is fresh and cool mod.
XkyRauh

hehe

Post by XkyRauh »

Well, Episode X (XkyKeen1) used Mortimer Androids as their main enemies--Clones and Androids are slightly different, but more or less the same.

The difference, in my mind, is that Androids are more robotic, and can't possibly be as smart as Keen or Mortimer--which is why Keen is able to readily defeat them all so easily. They were on the ship to do menial tasks which required an opposable thumb.

Flat-out clones, on the other hand, I'd imagine would be much more dangerous. Two dozen people all with a 315 IQ would either be an unstoppable team or a self-defeating pile of bickering. :-)

Either way, both of our first mods made that fatal mistake of "Let's use the big main enemy of the entire series as a grunt! Yeah!" ...Hopefully we both learn from it. I'm just excited about modding in general again, at this point... bring 'em on!
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

well, mortimer was cloned, or somthing in episode x, and just he atmosphere of being in a dark gloomy ship made me think of episode x and y. And replacing items in the Bean with bacon isnt new either. Dont get me wrong, i like it, and i used the idea of cloning in one of my own mods, but thats just he way i felt while playing it. Im looking forward to seeing how you carry out the plot in episode 2 and 3.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Flat-out clones, on the other hand, I'd imagine would be much more dangerous. Two dozen people all with a 315 IQ would either be an unstoppable team or a self-defeating pile of bickering. :-)
Read the story. It says that that after being cloned, they aren't that smart.
If they were as smart as the original, they wouldn't be obeying Syckick at all, now would they?
And replacing items in the Bean with bacon isnt new either.
Well i had a choice - either beat a certain level (which is pretty boring of a story) or collect four items. And Episode X already used stealing vital parts of the space ship, and my only choice was that. Also i came up with the idea back when i was just recoloring tiles, so i recolored them to look cooler, and i got the idea. Now, though, the only original graphics left are the clone pods and the vending machine (the one with candy. The soda one i just added in before release. Betcha can't find the soda machine!!)

Well, Episode X (XkyKeen1) used Mortimer Androids as their main enemies--Clones and Androids are slightly different, but more or less the same.
If you read the readme.txt, you'll see that I got the idea from X in the first place - I'm not entirely creative, and i think the syckickens and Pyroporgs drained the last of my creativity. :-\
Either way, both of our first mods made that fatal mistake of "Let's use the big main enemy of the entire series as a grunt! Yeah!" ...Hopefully we both learn from it. I'm just excited about modding in general again, at this point... bring 'em on!
What do you mean?? I think its a good idea.

The graphic style is more Episode Xish than Yish. BUT that's Genius314's style. The graphics are a lot darker than in Episode X, and the Episode Xish atmosphere is probably caused by the sprite, that looks a bit Xkyish.
Anyways, I don't think it's "been there done that", it is fresh and cool mod.
My style? Not really. My style is more serious and (i can't really explain it) kinda like well, uh, its not Xky's style, which has a good amount of random-ness (like the backgrounds and stuff) and mine isn't.

And my sprite look's Xkyish? If you think that, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the old sprite (all that was different was the shoes and the head, which were still similar)
grafix

Post by grafix »

What do you mean?? I think its a good idea.
Mortimer is an important character in the Keen series, so having him cloned hundreds of times reduces his significance to the point of meaningless - in the same way that a Harry Potter fangame wouldn't have hundreds of Voldemort clones as the enemies. Something like that, anyway (I don't entirely understand Xky's point, but that's the gist of what I got).

Nonetheless, this mod is very good - especially for a first mod. I'm looking forward to the rest in the series! (Once I can finish this one... grr)
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

But the real mort will have a much more improtant part very soon, just you wait ;-)
XkyRauh

hehe

Post by XkyRauh »

Don't get me wrong... I honestly wasn't trying to bad-mouth your mod or anything. I really like it.

But yes, grafix, you got my gist. Having Mortimer as a standard enemy is very akin to having Dr. Proton as the Pig Cop in a Duke mod, or putting Bowser in every level of Mario Bros. It takes away the significance of the thing as an end-game entity, and makes them more ho-hum.

It was more intended as a rip on my OWN first mod than yours. I feel like my 2nd and 3rd mods improved a lot over my first... and I'm hoping yours will do the same, in your eyes. :-)
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

putting Bowser in every level of Mario Bros.
Well, in Super Mario Bros. you meat Bowser in every fourth level. And if you defeat him with fire balls, you see it's a Goomba or another enemy in real (I don't know what happens after firing Bowser in the level with the Princess). So, there are also "dummy" main enemies!
The difference, in my mind, is that Androids are more robotic, and can't possibly be as smart as Keen or Mortimer--which is why Keen is able to readily defeat them all so easily. They were on the ship to do menial tasks which required an opposable thumb.
In the games (don't consider Story) the biggest difference is that you need four shots for Mortimer Android in X, and only one shot for Clone in GenKeen1. ;-)
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

You could always come up with some bad guy other than Mortimer. I mean when you were playing keen 5 for the first time, you probably thought that Shikadi Master thingy was behind everything until the end. I mean 4 didn't mention Mortimer at all, and he might as well have been killed in 3. It would probably work pretty well, just don't show who it is til the end of the nxt episode.

The interesting part about this is that perhaps you could have Keen and Mortimer work together. Perhaps one of the other uses elevators, or talking to one or the other toggles a bridge, etc.
Last edited by Stealthy71088 on Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

Sure they did---weren't they following the orders of the "gannelech?"

And in any case, there's no reason for Mort clones to even be of above-average intelligence. Genetics has a certain effect on intelligence, but so does environment, and without mort's experience of being repeatedly dropped on his head, the clones might never develop exceptional intelligence. =)
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Mortimer is an important character in the Keen series, so having him cloned hundreds of times reduces his significance to the point of meaningless - in the same way that a Harry Potter fangame wouldn't have hundreds of Voldemort clones as the enemies
Yes but mortimer really isn't the main enemy of this game.
The story is under development and will soon reveal more about mort's part.
(eventually he won't be an enemy at all ;-)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Yeah, but Mort just doesn't have 'Keenishness' do your market research.

And thats terrible 314, that sort of thing only happens in fanfics!