Shadow Keen

Showcase your completed mod here!
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Note: I didn't test the WHOLE game, just the levels as I built them.

Whoever made that sprite, the site I got it off called it Xkysprit.ZIP

Hard huh? My brother built a Keen 1 level called 'Impossible' I finnished it after 23 deaths WITH god mode. Checking the patchfile will give you the cheats. (Or try to decipher the Documentation file.)
but the limited time you spent on it really shows
Oooh yes; but the previews will show you 2 other mods I tried to do slowly. (and abandoned, ADD gives you a very shart attention spa- what are we talking about again?)

Edit: I hate link code tags.
Last edited by levellord on Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

You sure can use link code tags. ;)

Anyways, that name was Xkysprit.zip, because Manboy wanted to do sprite using the same kind of style Xky was using on his own. Quite a cool sprite, gotta say..
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

insane, I agree.
DobaySoft

Post by DobaySoft »

Well, one word. Sheesh! After at least fifteen tries I can't get past the first level. There are too many "surprise" fake blocks which you have to know by heart, and the two types of killer flies at different heights inside the blocks tend to be very irritating (not even hitting the fly and still dying? Come on!).

Also, when I go for the pistols in the very first hole and a purple thingee jumps on me, I get stuck forever. Sniffle.

DobaySoft
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hmmm, are you running it through that "play.bat" or was it "add.bat"? Just thought that maybe you aren't, because I don't remember it was that hard. :)
DobaySoft

Post by DobaySoft »

Really? Let's get this straight. I ran "part 1" first, then shadow keen dot bat, and on the first level I'm on this pink planet with no pogo stick to jump high when I obviously would do much better with it.

Am I the one entirely lame or else why can't I find the pogo stick in this mod?

Must be tired.

DobaySoft
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

1.) Blocks with cracks in them can't be stood on.

2.)You'll soon learn what files kill, they emit such an annoying buzzing sound Keen dies before he gets close.

3.)The pogo stick is past the exit, up and a bit to the right past all the tree trunks, you may need to stand on some non-killing files to get there.

4.)That pit can be a sod, it was designed to annoy.

5.)The .BAT files are complex, I tried a simpler y/n option, but it kept crashing.

6.)The cheats are a,c,e and g,i,v. Don't criticize my mistakes, have pity and try to avoid them lest your mod be simalarly affected. Heck if you feel like it build your own levels; I'd be glad to host them. (And I left space so they can be added to the existing mod.)
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Sorry sorry sorry, I was the one who was tired! I thought this was Zelda Mod topic and I thought that "there wasn't that kind of first level in it, you might do something wrong".. :( Sorry!
Ezjay

the shit

Post by Ezjay »

This thing is the shit, best keen mod around!
It's not perfect and its quite hard, but it's the best.
levellord you rule i love this game :D
Ezjay

Post by Ezjay »

well at least thats how i thought about it until i played level 3 for the 10th time... It jsut got to hard in an annoying way. Plus the levels weren't build that good after level 3. But still this is one of the best mods around.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

LOL, it's really hard! I haven't managed to complete it yet, even nearly.. :)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Use a,c,e for god mode. (Level design my strong point ain't.)
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Good tip for future: do levels that others can play without cheat codes. ;)
XkyRauh

re: cheating

Post by XkyRauh »

Totally--this is the kinda thing I was hoping to get into the open in my General Discussion topic about Level Design...

When YOU are playing the level you created, you know where everything is, you know which areas of your level are traps, dead-ends, etc. You'll probably get through the level in a life or two, three at the worst if you're clumsy.

When you sit in the room, and watch your FRIEND play the level, you are offering body language and cues. "No, that jump's a little too far for you to make--you'll hafta find another way around" or "Ah--you see the yellow keycard?" Your friend should make it through in one or two lives, with four being extremely difficult.

However, when you upload the levels for OTHERS to play, they don't get your cues, and they don't have your knowledge. All they have is whatever graphics you've given them. What took you 1 life, and your friend 2 lives may take them 4 or 5, especially if your level is long and full of traps.

When designing levels for my Keen2 mod, often I'll look at an area and think "Man, that area's way too easy..." but then when I watch my beta-testers play it, they'll often struggle in an area, or complain about a particular jump. Just because ~I~ have no problems with it, doesn't mean a fellow Keener, or a casual gamer will be able to pass it easily.

I think the acid test for difficulty is something along these lines: If you can play your mod and beat the first half in under 5 lives, you're probably on the right track. If you beat the first half without dying once, it's too easy. If you get game over and need to do levels in a different order to get enough ammo/lives to complete a stickler level, you may want to consider changing things.

One final note on my end is to either give the player an Introductory level, like Bazooka Wowbagger did, or give them a few cakewalk first levels. Not only to let them get used to your mod's graphics and feel, but also to give them time to settle in and bolster their confidence. Remember Keen1's first level: There's 2 tiles of spikes, and 3 tiles of muncher plants. That's all that can kill you on level one. Level 2 doesn't even have anything that can kill you--just a Yorp Statue! Difficulty curves are great. :-)

--Xky
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

You can play my levels without cheats, they're just difficult. Try just rushing through. (Like I do.) ANd you're right Xky, I do know where everything is, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure things out. Next time I will try easier levels.

I repeat my challenge; build some levels and I will incorporate them into the mod.