Shadow Keen

Showcase your completed mod here!
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Shadow Keen

Post by levellord »

I Adriael Dean am going to make a mod called Shadow Keen, it will contain incredible graphics ingenious levels, the works. It will of course require monts of hard work.

Oh who the hell am I kidding? With my ADD I can hardly build a level! Here's how I'm going about it. I have taken doubble my ritalin dose today and thus will not be sleeping tonight; or tomorrow night, or ever until I finnish the mod.

I plan to finnish the entire mod in less than a week. (I have used this method before when building custom Duke Nukum levels and have worked at a feverent pace.)

Also Andy, Xky my mod will include you so can you send me a 56 x 32 1BMP0012 picture of yourself. (My drawing sucks, my efforts would be an insult.)
JosephBurke

good sleep, bad sleep, no sleep, dreams

Post by JosephBurke »

Hey, I'm the only zombie around here. Get to bed!
XkyRauh

re: Portrait of Xky

Post by XkyRauh »

56x32, eh? Sounds like fun... but any webcam picture taken at that resolution would be almost completely worthless. So here's a little cartoon doodle of myself... :-) I'm not particularly proud of it, but you asked for it:

If you don't like it or want something else done, let me know. :-$

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Good luck with the mod, sounds interesting! :)
Oh, and very nice pic Xky..
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Zombie eh; tileset half 'done' (Will improve later) story coming together. We'll see who needs sleep, if I quit I'll never get back to it. (Five decrepit mods attest to that.)

Nice pic; its just what I needed.

Edit: So tired; website up, see a screenshot Here
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Gaaah! sooo tired... Need brains ngggaah!

Mods finished, thank god! You can find it Here If you have any comments, mail me, but don't expect a quick reply as I'm going to sleep the ENTIRE weekend!

(Did I break the quick modding record? NO!! Who the hell is KeenRush?)
CommanderSpleen

Spasmicity!! New Mod!

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Woah. 7 days, four hours. *applauds loudly*

Looks like an insanely tripped out mod. I'm downloading it I write this. Once I play it, I shall return with commentagemification.

All material © LevelLoerd 2004
Might want to review that...
The Commander Keen episodde A mod is now about complete
...and that.

Once you catch up on unconsciousness, that is.

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

WOAAAAAAAAAH!!! I just came home from school, sadder than for a long time, did homeworks, and thought that this weekend is going to suck.. But then I see, nothing else, than a totally new mod ready!
This is awesome, I'm going to play it right now! YEEAAAH!! :)

And by the way. I don't have/or never had any quick modding record.. :P

Oh, and can I put it on my Keen site? :)
MultiMania
Patch Master

Quick posting (and the evils of school)

Post by MultiMania »

I got home from school earlier and have already taken a look. I officially grant myself as the first to play it (except levellord). I was first! But the "part2.bat" it was sort of impossible (I think).
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Zzzz..Hmmm? Long post this one, then more rest.

Yes Hardly ANY material c levellord 2004, I shall be putting credits on my site. (Blast how'd they find out I ripped their stuff?)

Copy this mod to any site you want (Wait! no adult sites, I don't need a repeat of the 'dangerou dave' incident.)

Part2.BAT; as mentioned in the game and documentation file running part2.BAT will switch the game so you can play the second half. After obtaining 3 potions and reaching the big red castle (Tripped out? yes.) save your game and run part2.BAT followed by running the game. Your saved game will put you in the second half of the game.

Still confused? get the documentation file, also on my site.

KeenRush no record? Then me record holder?

Edit: You ARE the first to play it; at least all of it, I was too tired to even beta test it. There shouldn't be any fatal errors, but do tell me of any problems you find.
CommanderSpleen

Nasal cavity!

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Yes Hardly ANY material c levellord 2004, I shall be putting credits on my site. (Blast how'd they find out I ripped their stuff?)
You ripped stuff? Hardly anything copyright? Go accidentally perceptive Spleen. I was talking about spelling errors, but if you feel like confessing all your dark secrets, be my guest.
I was too tired to even beta test it. There shouldn't be any fatal errors, but do tell me of any problems you find.
You might want to review your tileinfo. I don't know whether it was intentional or not, but one of the first things I did was attempt to gather the first treefruit item thinggies on the left above the B-W-B and slipped off the top into a spike. Amusing, but confusing.

Although it's not really all that important, the map level is apparently a couple of tiles too far to the right--when the game first starts, it jolts violently into place.

Levels are... intriguing. Though I've only played one thus far. That first level is wacky.

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

I will shoot every single of those yorp-replacaments. Grrr.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

You ripped stuff?
Yes; copied then altered. I used Xky's sprite since he created it and no one else was putting it to use.
You might want to review your tileinfo
No, thats supposed to happen; Keen just waxed his ship.
the map level is apparently a couple of tiles too far to the right
Yes, a small problem, but not too noticable to correct.
That first level is wacky.
Yes; get the documentation file; it has level tips, you only need to do 6 levels to finnish Part 1.
XkyRauh

re: Shadow Keen

Post by XkyRauh »

levellord wrote:I was too tired to even beta test it.
That's usually a bad sign right there... :-) On the few occasions I've tossed something together and not bothered to check it, I go back to it the next day and practically delete the whole thing. Be it something as simple as making a jump 1 brick too tall for a pogo, or something as glaring as, say, forgetting to put an exit in. Playtesting is ESSENTIAL.
levellord wrote:I used Xky's sprite since he created it and no one else was putting it to use.
Actually, I didn't make that sprite... someone from the PCKF did, based off of some (horrible) Keen artwork I did in my Oceanography class back in high school. :-) [I searched for his name on CC314, but couldn't find it anywhere...] Personally, I don't like it much, but the pogo sprite is cute.

The only Keen sprite I've made is the one used in Keen:X (which will also be used in Keen:Ø, slightly modified) ...and anybody's free to use it, so long as I get mentioned somewhere. :-D

I noticed you did use a few graphics from my mod--as well as Bio Menace, Duke Nukem, and a few other games. :-) (that's fine)

Your levels were confusing and frustrating, mostly due to the visual barrage of clashing colors, and the arbitrary nature of your fall-through blocks. I had a bear of a time navigating just the first level, but finally managed it after about 8 deaths. Your second level took me by surprise, and I got Game Over in the third. If I get another chance, I might play through it a bit more extensively--but for a first try, I didn't make it too far... :-(

All in all, considering you put this together in a week, it's an astounding effort... but the limited time you spent on it really shows. It'd be really cool if you went back and fine-tuned stuff, to make it a more complete package. Using .bat files to divide the game in half is neat, too! :-)

--Xky
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

Manboy made that sprite.