My entrance to keen modding: Bananasauros!

Showcase your completed mod here!
VikingBoyBilly

My entrance to keen modding: Bananasauros!

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Short Gameplay Video

The story:
You may have heard that a long, long time ago, creatures called dinosaurs ruled the Earth. As you know, they all went extinct. But something you might not know is that after the dinosaurs were wiped out, a new plethora of species emerged. They were called the vegansaurs, and included such animals as the flying pearadactyl, the brave grapefruitops, and the mighty argentinomelon. And perhaps the most charming of all these creatures is none other than the humble bananasauros. The bananasaurii lived peacefully in tropical jungles and deserts. That is, until the arrival of a not-so-friendly new species called the austrolopithecines. Australopithecines are monkeys who love eating vegansaurs, and their favorite dish on the menu is - you guessed it - bananasauros!

One day a bananasauros and his family were having a lovely time eating some bushes, when suddenly a group of australopithecines attacked! They took his wife and baby with them, along with some of his other vegansaur friends. Now bananasauros must embark on a quest to save his family before they become the main course! He'll have to hop over hadrocucumbers, run through pepper raptors, sneak past vicious flesh-eating-killer-tomatodons, and forge through many other hazards if he wants to save them! Do you have the skills to guide him?

-----------

Yeah, so I still have a long way to go before this reaches completion. Obviously I haven't finished all the sprites and tiles and I still need to make the main map (which I want to resemble africa and the middle east). I want to give him a black outline, as the no-outline look isn't fitting (can you tell I had no idea what I was doing the first time I tried to make keen sprites?)

One big question I have: What tool(s) are you supposed to use to edit the story text, the default names in the credits, etc.?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Story, Help, Ending text and Previews text can all be edited by opening their respective .CK1 files (STORY.CK1...) in notepad or another text editor. Startext can also do this, but is a bit more clunky and is better used for more difficult things. It is also kinda limited at present: http://levellord.rewound.net/STARTEXT.zip I can add any functions that you might need, but I'm looking forward to Lemm's screen maker.

There's also TheNeuralStunner (Don't have a link) based on Xtraverse's Patchatron both do texty stuff.
VikingBoyBilly

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

levellass wrote:Story, Help, Ending text and Previews text can all be edited by opening their respective .CK1 files (STORY.CK1...) in notepad or another text editor.
:dead
(are there seriously no emotikeens in modding land?)
Draik

Post by Draik »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:(are there seriously no emotikeens in modding land?)
K:M is devoid of all emotion. EULA requires you to forfeit all rights to emotion you have, may have had, or will have. Offenders will be shot. Survivors will be shot again.
Paramultart

Post by Paramultart »

This mod looks flipping amazing! :D

I am very much looking forward to this.
Most non-Galaxy mods don't appeal to me, but I will definitely play this one with the intention of completing it.
VikingBoyBilly

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Paramultart wrote:This mod looks flipping amazing! :D

I am very much looking forward to this.
Most non-Galaxy mods don't appeal to me, but I will definitely play this one with the intention of completing it.
Thanks. For having only spent 4 days working on it so far, that means a lot =)
Grimson

Post by Grimson »

It's looking good, the Bananasauros could look a bit more lizard-y, though.
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

Wow, really impressive! I like the bright, tropicalish setting, and your sprite animations are awesome, especially the garg!

I hope you plan to do something differently with the clouds: more than one design and spaced out slightly more, its kind of distracting as is. Also the plain black/dark grey dithering in the cave exit is kind of glaring in style compared to everything else. Some variation in there would be better. These are things you''ve probably planned to do though :)
Paramultart

Post by Paramultart »

This mod is very creative and looks like much fun!
I do hope that all the content is original and not ripped from anything.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Your walk cycle looks good, in the video. :) Looking forward to more from this!
VikingBoyBilly

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

World map is finished, for the most part. Still have a long way to go on sprite and tile replacements. Where in the world do you get that screen of Billy's house in the end sequence? All modkeen pulled out were sprites of the window turning the lights on and off.
VikingBoyBilly

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Just scrawled up the vorticon replacement tonight:
I honestly never had a clear idea in my head what it should look like. Well, I'm trying to go for a missing link between man and ape type thing, but I was never sure whether they should be cute little monkeys or big burly gorillas. And I was considering putting a sort of flintstones tiger cloth on it, but maybe it's better off naked. I'm asking for suggestions here because I really might decide to scrap it and redesign.

I've gotten... a surprising amount done in terms of tiles. Guess Keen 1 has a lot less in the tileset than it appears. I got about 1.5 maps made so far (2.5 if you count the world map). Only 14.5 to go!
levellass

Post by levellass »

Let me introduce you to the 32 level patch...
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Woo, you really know how to animate, the sprites look outstanding.
Looking forward to this, I'm impressed that starting to use mindbelt had such an impact on you.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Cutest main character ever. Very nice looking mod already.