Keen -5 Demo #1

Showcase your completed mod here!
Fleexy
Site Admin

Keen -5 Demo #1

Post by Fleexy »

Hello, everyone!! I've been making nice progress on Keen -5, so here is demo #1. Some graphics/levels may be different from this in the real Keen -5. There are 10 levels here, and no points placed in the levels yet. A lot of misc. levels/patching WILL be added, but there is a nice amount of things here. Without further ado, get it right here:

http://home.mchsi.com/~bootsisbig/k-5demo1.zip

Your suggestions will be welcome.

>>FLEEXY<<
lemm

Post by lemm »

Needs more hazards.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I can only assume that was a joke, lemm.
Besides the background I could only find one tile that didn't actually kill me (the square blocks you have to jump to. Even the slippery red platform can kill you (the side where the green flame is), it gets worse in level two, where even the background start's to kill you when it has another colour.
And there are absolutely no goodies. It possible to get through level 1, yes, but there's no reward for this. I didn't even want to complete level 2 anymore.

Edit: I just reread your post, that you didn't place the goodies yet, phew! At least there are some to come.
Another thing: Your levels, while cramped with hazards, have a very lonely feeling to them. There are no Monsters, NPC or anything that could have been living in there. Everything seems so abstract.
levellass

Post by levellass »

1.) Needs ck2patch (Some people's versions may be incompatible with your patchfile.)

2.) While the graphics are much better than -6, your style is a tad 'abstract'; looking like a bunch of swirly, flashy things, with no real purpose. This can also make it hard to see what will kill you, since nobody is quite sure what to expect. I suggest trying to build more of a theme, where things can fit in.
lemm

Post by lemm »

Okay, after playing this for a day, I can finish some of the levels. It just requires some creative pogoing here and there :p

I thought the level that was all brown blocks with those red lightning bolt tiles was a good difficulty. The first level was good too.

You should make all your hazards move or flash or something, just so they stand out. Also the diagonal hazard tiles... the whole tile is still hazardous, but the graphics would suggest otherwise. I would make these tiles not kill instead.

The black bridge tiles were a little confusing at first. And I thought some of the jumps were almost impossible to make.

I like the colour scheme. There is a good amount of stuff in the background (I like the spinning triangular things, those are cool)

In general, I would like a few more "rest areas" after long movement combinations.