Keen 8: Dead in the Desert

Showcase your completed mod here!
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

Been looking forward to your comments!

Glad you liked tha graphics and various environments, as well as the enemies :)

On the Keen6.exe: I was conflicted over it, I had various reasons for including it, but decided in the end I would since Keen 6 can't be purchased anymore. I think after a few weeks of the initial release and when/if the mod is hosted elsewhere, I'll have the Keen6.exe removed.

Sorry for forcing the death of so many of the srub like Bresh, I'm glad you like that enemy though :)

Shortcut to the Blue Gem? I don't think I'm aware of that one...

Nice going on defeating the imposter Keen! That's how to do it with style! :)
HoboRed

Post by HoboRed »

Not to bad a game level style graphics I give it a three! I like the slopes and the last lvl
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Ceilick wrote: Shortcut to the Blue Gem? I don't think I'm aware of that one...
Start Lava Lake. Jump up to the right, where the checkerboard of H2O is. Do a normal jump to land on the fallaway platform, but as soon as you land, do an Impossible Pogo Trick up and to the right. If you turn off the pogo right away, you'll grab the invisible ledge where the two tubs of ice cream are. From there, just jump left to the blue keygem and continue to the right, completely avoiding 1) the lower section of the level, which is very difficult due to the lavafalls, and 2) avoiding the need to backtrack from the blue door! :)
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

oh wow, didn't even think of trying that, but that is an excellent shortcut! I was worried I might have to fix the level, but that is really cool :)
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

wans't that the normal way? (realy, i coulnd't find the other far to dangerous , and what that an impos pogo?)

to bad i can't rate this mod, i can't give a point higher then 100%
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

the other way is possible, just dangerous.

The shortcut doesnt actually require an impossible pogo, but an impossible pogo is done when Keen stands facing left for example, and immediatley pogo+jumps to the right. He gains extra height this way.

Thanks for the 100% shikadi :)
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

This mod is amazing! I was blown away!

10/10.

Well, except for those fucling Squibs! And the platforms going past lava falls: they should have been in the secret level, or only for bonus areas, they were too unfair in required levels.

Still definitely a 10/10.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

lol I'm stuck on those lava falls. I'm playing on hard, and I've only managed to get past all three once...right when the elevator I had to jump to was missing..... I think this calls for the "Xky method".

Edit: I figured out why I had so much trouble with them. Every time you load the game, the lava falls are reset. So you could be setup perfectly, but if you saved and reloaded while on the moving platform, the falls reset and ur a dead 'un
levellass

Post by levellass »

I use this to my advantage (Saved games are based on the level stored in GAMEMAPS, plus changes you've made to it.) If I'm badly set up, save game, reload and viola! Jump space!

In fact, that gives me an evil idea for my mod...
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

use it for something like an extra life, do not follow ceilick (or ceilicl) idea for required levels.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

After reading all the comments I know for sure I'm strange. I have to admit I did not like the first levels too much and found most of them relatively hard, stuffed with monsters. The fist level I really enjoyed was the Lava Lake. I love the Squib and it is actually very easy to handle once you get the hang of it. I can even stand on it. And I also liked those lava falls, and didn't think there's too much trouble getting through them. I understand they are hard as hell if you don't save inlevel. But it took me two lives until I got past them.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

lol I liked the squib graphically, and I liked how they were patched. I find them difficult to get past though. They kill me more than anything else.

I liked the Bobba replacement, although it struck me as a little random. Where did you get the idea for it? I really liked your stomper too.
The Shifted One

Post by The Shifted One »

If your having trouble with the lava falls just use the enter trick.
Im suprised some people dont know that one yet :P

Press enter and the tiles will reset back to their original strting posistion. which makes you abel to time it out so you dont have to do jackshit to get past them if done well.
Maybe it needs some practice cause it still seems random at first but it works like a charm.
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

Glad you liked the the lava levels, Tulip. Was there anything in particular about the first levels you didn't like? And were there any desert levels you did like?

Glad you liked the squib and lava falls! I said before, squib is one of my favorites, especially for it's unique behavior. And the lavea falls; i love just watching them and am really proud of how the animation turned out.

Stealthy: Yeah, Mink told me too that the Snoza/bobba replacement was a little odd and out of place. My rational was: Keen's seen body part like enemies before: spyro grip (arm) and Bobba (leg), so i figured "I need at least one bizarre enemy, and I really like how this one looks". Glad you like the stomper too, I enjoy that enemy a lot myself and think it fits the blooguard very well without changing the sprite behavior.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I need at least one bizarre enemy, and I really like how this one looks"
Curse your un-abandonment! That nose was a brilliant enemy!
I love the Squib and it is actually very easy to handle once you get the hang of it. I can even stand on it. And I also liked those lava falls, and didn't think there's too much trouble getting through them. I understand they are hard as hell if you don't save inlevel. But it took me two lives until I got past them.
There are many tricks to getting past things, the cobrits are harmless (Jump over their shots), you can duck under the noses and their shots, Squib hardly bite if you pogo around (And on!) them, cacti can be pogoed over and Ceilick can be carefully ducked under.

@shikadi, no, I have something utterly evil planned, but fortunately, only the hardest Keeners will ever be able to get to it.