Silcar 4: The Civilization Inside

Showcase your completed mod here!
Tulip

Silcar 4: The Civilization Inside

Post by Tulip »

Well I'm in a good mood right now so I decided to let you see a first screen of Silcar 4. There may still be some graphical changes, as I'm not completely content with it now, but it will sure look something like this:

Any suggestions how this could look better are welcome.
Last edited by Tulip on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

keen destroys them from inside?
we gonna attack and play bacteria :p
first attack hearth then brains :p

nice graphics

o yes , did you ever found micro-apples in a body?
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

-The teeth need a bit more shading or something, they look flat.
-The background it too repetitive.
(Those two are just suggestions, you don't have to follow them. But it'd probably look better if you did.)

Also, it's "Civilization."

...I'll shut up now.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I feel the same about the background, and I'll try add more shades to the teeth.

And, shikadi, these aren't micro apples, these are big crunchy fruits, they're almost half the size keen is... It's a huge organism where this mod takes place in..
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Excellent, you've abstracted the organism theme into a platform environment really well by the look of it. The creatures are looking pretty classy, too. The skeletons on the left are great adaptations of that oval-headed lad. Not much criticism I'd offer for now except what's already been said.
Also, it's "Civilization."
Or Civilisation. X)
Mink

Post by Mink »

That looks really great! I can't wait to play this. However, I agree with Genius314's comments. I think the background would look quite a bit better if it was 3 or 4 tiles repeated instead of just the one.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Indeed, or a shaded background like you've used previously; this as it is, well it's two well defined colors, and the eye can pick out the repeating pattern too easily.

Keen's got guts ;)

This looks interesting, I shall endeavor to find all the patches needed for it, and I am working extra hard on making other Keen engine games moddable.

What you need to do is take a look at the guts levels of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, they are rather poor graphics, but they may offer you some ideas on organs. (You really need something to do with eyes, all gut levels need eyes.)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Didn't change much, yet, just the background tile at the edges and made a few more shades for the Teeth and added some veins as background tiles, and now after I built a bit of level I'm quite happy with it.
Seems I just had to get used to it...
Maybe I'm gonna post a new screenshot when I've done some levels...

I'll see to some eyes for Levellass
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Looking great once again. I have still your second and third mod to play... X} Haven't had the garging time for anything lately.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

It is 0:01 Here it on my clock now so it's technically Keenday:

So here it is:

Silcar 4. My first Keenday release. Enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jtztnyjlte3
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

w0000t , finally

i completed about 10 levels now (on easy)
it's sometimes not to easy to see if something solid , and it also now funny how most of those bones kills when jumped on from below (and sometimes side to) , they just look like part of the construction at first , not something deadly.

then.... how can you get pass those doors? (i got 2 gems , and i was thinking they (=doors) will disappear when you get them but they did not).

the levels were like in silcar1 , not small . sorry to say , but i enjoyed silcar 2 and 3 more

there are some falls with garg(s) (replacements) under , you cannot see were they are and can't dodge them until its to late

silcar4 was still better then the huge pingpong levels of silcar1 (and i don't have to say to much , with my half mods :p).

(ps : lol at levellord dolls XD)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Yes I admit it's not easy to see what kills you and what doesn't. That's the problem with the organic shaped tiles... Basically: if its pointy, don't touch that tile (also not from the inside). Its not possible to give a tile killy behaviour only on one side...
The doorbug is strange, though I feared something like this might happen. Well they worked with my version. Try it on normal and tell me if it happens again.
levellass

Post by levellass »

A fourth installment? Officially the longest Keen series, I think...

Start-to-crate time: Not a crate in sight again, you use the body theme very inventively.

Graphics: Quality. I especially loved the sprites. (Oh how I wish I had thought of the skullmobile first! Oh lust, oh envy!) I can see only two weaknesses, first, the blue-on-red writing was hard to read sometimes, and second, you have taken a few tiles from Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. (But haven't we all?) The bones were indeed difficult to figure out at first, but you soon learn to avoid anything pointy. After all, you ARE being digested. This was a very good 'womb level' as I believe the term is. (And yes, Levellord is stuffed, totally.)

Patching: Three difficulties, something rarely attempted, and done rather well indeed. Your patch files are a joy to behold, being structured and simple, yet altering the game is significant ways. You're someone who knows what they want out of Keen, and how to get it. It's nice to see someone who's used so many sprite patches.

Documentation: Brilliant again, totally rewritten game texts, including the help. The story is detailed and developed throughout the game, just like in the original, there are only trifling grammar errors (Certainly no worse than I've seen from many english speakers...) and you've done everything rather inventively, from the Monsters option to the unique ending.

Levels: Different from Silcar 3, much more closed-in, more boxy. You don't get the same feeling of unlimited space in this mod, possibly due to its 'internal' nature. The levels themselves however are often quite large and complex, and all the parts tend to integrate well.

Gameplay: Again, similar to the original, with the usual 4 token objective, but with these utilized in a somewhat more interesting manner than most manage.

Map: Taken from Cosmo I see. I did like the mouth at the start, and the fact that, like in Keen 2, the map has a definite anatomy (Is anyone else amused by just where Keen boarded the Vorticon Mothership?) The map has a simple design, but a complex layout, and works rather well.

Level 1: Quite a nice introductory level. I digested three pink guys. :)

Level 2: (Secret!) After I figured out how the map worked, I kept an eye out for passable areas, and it's a good thing I did. This was a fun stage, though getting to the top took patience and some agility. I needed those lives.

Level 3: The first time I noticed not all ribs kill. I got lost several times in this level.

Level 4: This one had a bit of tricky jumping across at the start. I like your little platforms, I almost believed they were only 4 pixels wide.

Level 5: Short and sweet, and most of the sprites died. Loved it.

Level 6: I tried the switches at the right, they worked. I spent most of this level in darkness,s eeing it light up was quite a relief. A neat use of patches. My reluctance to shoot lost me a few lives here.

Level 7: Another short, sweet one. Discovered I could stand on some intestines.

Level 8: Aiiiieee! I died the most here, those protected skullmobiles made this a toughie.

Level 9: It's a good thing I saved my shots for this maze puzzle.

Level 10: I had some trouble when I fell into a pit of monsters, and only just escaped, two shots down I might add. The bonemobile also gave me troubles, it kept coming back, but I eventually found out how to destroy it for good.

Level 11: A sneaky level to get through in darkness, I liked the pulsing vein by the exit. The extra life was hard to get, and there were some dangerous looking jumps. Nice ice cubes too.

Level 12: My introduction to the skullmobile (And my slow realization it could be smashed.) and how to kill he skull guys (Didn't see THAT coming.) Spent ages looking for a bone switch before trying another way to exit. To my surprise, it worked.

Level 13: Near the start, a good second level, as it were. Again I managed to digest all the pinkies. I had trouble seeing some floors in the dark.

Level 14: Another, reasonably short level. The flames past the end were cool.

Level 15: Short, but neat. Liked the icecubes again.

Level 16: Almost missed this one; this level actually left me tired to finish. It's a pity the hearts weren't used more throughput the game, that was quite inventive.

TOTAL: 9.8/10; Awesonme!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Thanks a lot. Seems the doors worked for you. I'm happy make your keenday keenish.

I tried it again shikadi and my doors work. Are you running it with dosbox?
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

yes , i play dosbox , they work on hard and normal , but not easy (strange)

those hearts gave the last level something special :)
can the stuffed toy on level1 actually be reached?