Silcar 3: The Evil that meets the Eye

Showcase your completed mod here!
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

the flying part of the ankh don't work good (on my comp)
i had to use god mode to fly over (< that was were i had to cheat)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Maybe you're using the 1.0 version of Keen3.exe
Because you shouldn't be able to fly in god mode, only with ankh time
Try using 1.31

Or you're not using the right technique: you just should switch on the pogo, and do not press the jump button, then you'll fly right up. Just as it says in the help file.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I've only managed to play the first few levels in this, but it is already a unique and challenging experience, making good use of some novel patches and graphics, once again, you have improved on your last, and I hope to get a review done sometime.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Right; managed to play all the way through, so I can give a full critique.

Start-to-crate time: There isn't a crate or barrel until level 2, and if you hurry, you can get to the first barrel in about 30 seconds. This beats DooM.

Graphics: Very good again; I recognized a few things from other sources, but they were used well enough that it took me quite some time, you are indeed an artist when it comes to rearranging and reusing, and your own graphics are very well done, especially the large tile monster.

Patching: There was a lot of unused potential here, but then, there always is. the lengths you went to to get the patches you wanted are testimony to your inventiveness and ingenuity. There was some rigidty in some parts of your graphics, the title screen and world map tiles being notable, that suggests you are not quite at home with making your own tiles just yet, but there are great improvements over your previous mods that seem to show you are warming to it. (It is nice to see a well implemented maskless sprite; i haven't seen that in a long, long time.)

Documentation: In-game text is reasonably high quality. (I like the start of the help section.) There are a few small tics (The help goes straight on to the endtext, that's not good, some of the screens like Ordering Info or This mod clash a bit) but in all, this is what can be expected from such a good quality mod.

Levels: In general, expansive, colorful and inventive; brilliantly done, if a bit annoying at times, each was a positive pleasure to play. I haven't enjoyed such a challenging and fun mod in quite some time. Reminiscent of Xky 3 indeed.

Gameplay: Not too different from the original (Of course.) but you added some distractions such as more doors and bridges. A novel implementation.

Level 1: Quite a nice introductory level with several sneaky bits.

Level 2: Getting serious, and requiring some tricky aerial acrobatics if we are to dodge either the clouds or the ghosts. Keen is introduced to the antigravity pogo. Either way you take it, you gotta be quick.

Level 3: I liked level 3, if played right, all the monsters fall down the bottom, Keen can be pacifist.

Level 4: Had some nice tricky bits, the ghost was used well. It has a brilliant winding structure, and despite being so gigantic, doesn't suffer from the long hall syndrome or level fatigue. Could have been a bit easier, but pfft.

Level 5: An interesting and tricky start; the part with all the boards is sheer genius, and a use of them that has not been seen before.

Level 6: An interesting start, I took both pogo at first and paid the price. Another large level made playable with skill.

Level 7: Curious, nice use of pits

Level 8: Nice; used the friendly little shooter to kill ALL the monsters for me. The secret pit was mean. ;) I had just enough pogo left over to get a boost in a later level.

Level 9: An interesting maze level; full of neat and nasty tricks, especially those impassable shooters.

Level 10: A chose-your-path level, and a very interesting one, I tried to play every single path through it.

Level 11: You used your slavering wee beasties rather well here I felt. A short, simple level, and thoroughly enjoyable. I walked through a blue guy at the exit.

Level 12: Those shooters were nice, they take care of most of the enemies. This level had a lovely, outdoorsy feel to it, a positive pleasure to play. The ghosts at the exit were a mean touch.

Level 13: It is possible to clip through the topmost door and get stuck (The ball can clip through some doors too.) A complex and interesting level

Level 14: This too several tries to get almost everything, a large and worthwhile secret indeed. (As a small error, three blocks when grabbed produced the wrong background. They are in the underground left of the level, all in a line by themselves.)

Level 15: This was a shocker; an aerial level with a lot of blasters. Again it took quite a few reruns before I got through it. (I fell a lot...)

Level 16: The boss; and very well done. (A patch to make him shoot you quicker would have been nice.) It took luck and skill to get past the top, since I'm pretty sure the blue guys are unshootable. The rocks were interesting, but a few patches would have helped them as well. (Just to change the look of things and maybe a bit of the tiles.)

TOTAL: 9.8/10; bloody darn brilliant!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Thanks for the good review, part of the honor should go to you for your special patch, and especially to Karz for is beta-testing which I think improved the mod a lot.

I'm gonna take out these little errors you found.

Thanks for the complete review.

Edit: You can kill those blue guys...
levellass

Post by levellass »

Ah. It's just I read... somewhere about the Vortimoms being immortal. That makes things easier, and no mistake!