death to the vorticons

Showcase your completed mod here!
levellass

Post by levellass »

Aaah, almost forgot where I left my notes; let me see now...

Start-to-crate time: The levels are rather sparse, lacking in eyecandy in places and thus, there are no crates. Possibly there could have been more pretty scenery; a lot of your tileset was blank and could have been used to pretty things up a bit.

Graphics: As I mentioned above, your tiles could have used a bit of work. Best is to start from scratch I think, not copying what is already there, but trying to fit your own ideas into the space. Of course, this can be very challenging. (I myself compromise, starting with other's ideas and hen trying to warp them as much as possible.)

Your background tile was ok, but backgrounds I have always thought, o best when they are simple and blank. (Xky Keen 3 was an exception, as the entire mod had that style, a blank background would have taken away from it.)

There was, I think, not quite enough of a 'theme' here, not enough tiles used, not enough sparkle, which is a pity, because the potential is definitely there.

The same thing goes for the sprites; your non-vort sprites were inventive and interesting tributes to Keen 5. If only you had pepped up your vorticons in the same manner, then this would ahve seemed much less like a Keen2 levelpack. Likewise, you misc graphics (Ending screen, bitmap graphics, title.) were almost untouched, when they really could've used a good do-over. I suggest that next time, you get someone to help with your graphics, because they definitely seem to be your weak point.

Patching: The patching was ok, not too flashy, but a bit more than basic. Again there was potential unrealized here, but I know how hard it can be to get Keen to do what you want, especially when you are starting out.

Documentation: Again, you didn't do all you could have with the game, missing the ending text for example, and leaving most other texts unchanged. The story was nice (But needed proof-reading, something always required when english is a second language.)

Levels: This is definitely your strong point; most of your levels are well constructed and easily playable. Yes there are some annoying bits in places, and some minor bugs too, but in general they're good quality. Indeed, this is an area where I can offer little advice, the only improvement will come with time and a maturing of your style.

Gameplay: the game plays very similar to Keen 2, possibly this was your intention, as it does seem rather vort-centric, but it would have been nice to have seen some quirks from you, like you're putting in your next mod.

Map: Too big, far, far too big.

The idea was nice, but your maze should've been smaller, perhaps 1 tile in size, and made of more than just plain white tiles. The map level should look like something, rather than just be a bland place to stick entrances. You didn't alter the map tiles at all, which was a pity, and you quickly gave way to Long Hall Syndrome. It would have been nice at half the size and with a bit more variety, maybe even some SGA letters?

Level 1: A good introduction, if you miss the mine, the DooM on you!

Level 2: Again basic and easy enough to do, but requires familiarity with Keen to complete quickly.

Level 3: Some nice jump puzzles, and a well placed Bot.

Level 4: A very open and structureless level, filled with randomness and uncertainty. A novel thing indeed and a challenge.

Level 5: Another simple level, with the Vorticon as the goal.

Level 6: A large, open level, and one that was fun to cheat at.

Level 7: A somewhat trickier level, but a bit plain.

Level 8: Some brilliant jumping\door tricks here, this level looks like a cross between Xky and KeenRush, possibly the best level in the game, despite its small size.

Level 9: Kin to level 8, with some Scrubs thrown in. Larger, but only slightly easier, this was a good, robust level. It bought home to me how much some nice background tiles would spruce things up.

Level 10: Cute and simple, with a twist.

Level 11: The steel grey background is the sort of thing that should have been used in more levels; it adds variety to things and shows that eyecandy doesn't have to be that complex.

Level 12: A hell of a level to do, keeping you on your toes, very inventive.

Level 13: Again, good stuff.

Level 14: I see a bit of Keen 5 in this level, a good adaption of a QED level indeed. Somet ricky jumps and platforms, a good, challenging play.

Level 15: A bit tricky, I never did like aerial levels.

Level 16: Big, perhaps your second best level. An adaption of another QED masterpiece. There were some very nice tricks with bridges and platforms here, and though things were hard, they were not insurmountable. a fine ending to the mod indeed. (I like the level bottom trick.)

TOTAL: 6.7/10; Not bad, not bad, but there's still so much potential.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

By the way, you put on your userpage on KeenWiki that you lost your activation for pckf. Just send adurdin an eMail, he'll open it up for you.
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

levellass wrote:Aaah, almost forgot where I left my notes; let me see now...

Start-to-crate time: The levels are rather sparse, lacking in eyecandy in places and thus, there are no crates. Possibly there could have been more pretty scenery; a lot of your tileset was blank and could have been used to pretty things up a bit.
shikadi's answer:i don't like making graphics so much , therefore i don't make much more then needed

Graphics: As I mentioned above, your tiles could have used a bit of work. Best is to start from scratch I think, not copying what is already there, but trying to fit your own ideas into the space. Of course, this can be very challenging. (I myself compromise, starting with other's ideas and hen trying to warp them as much as possible.)

Your background tile was ok, but backgrounds I have always thought, o best when they are simple and blank. (Xky Keen 3 was an exception, as the entire mod had that style, a blank background would have taken away from it.)

There was, I think, not quite enough of a 'theme' here, not enough tiles used, not enough sparkle, which is a pity, because the potential is definitely there.

The same thing goes for the sprites; your non-vort sprites were inventive and interesting tributes to Keen 5. If only you had pepped up your vorticons in the same manner, then this would ahve seemed much less like a Keen2 levelpack. Likewise, you misc graphics (Ending screen, bitmap graphics, title.) were almost untouched, when they really could've used a good do-over. I suggest that next time, you get someone to help with your graphics, because they definitely seem to be your weak point.
shikadi's answer:i still don't like graphics that much , and whoes gonna help? everybody or quite , or has 10 projects running

Patching: The patching was ok, not too flashy, but a bit more than basic. Again there was potential unrealized here, but I know how hard it can be to get Keen to do what you want, especially when you are starting out.
shikadi's answer:patching is the only reason that it took so long to complete this mod , if the patching did go a lot better, it would probable be released between 2 and 3 weeks after the video has been released

Documentation: Again, you didn't do all you could have with the game, missing the ending text for example, and leaving most other texts unchanged. The story was nice (But needed proof-reading, something always required when english is a second language.)

Levels: This is definitely your strong point; most of your levels are well constructed and easily playable. Yes there are some annoying bits in places, and some minor bugs too, but in general they're good quality. Indeed, this is an area where I can offer little advice, the only improvement will come with time and a maturing of your style.
shikadi's answer:i like making levels the most (a known fact) , but i would like to know those minor bugs (and maybe the annoying bits )

Gameplay: the game plays very similar to Keen 2, possibly this was your intention, as it does seem rather vort-centric, but it would have been nice to have seen some quirks from you, like you're putting in your next mod.
shikadi's answer : this is just a mothership (but a different one then in the keen2 , with different defence ,different target.....) , on dttv3 , it takes places on a planet that is hostile to the vortis (or like they call them on that planet vorticians)

Map: Too big, far, far too big.
shikadi's answer:how much would this comment be changed when i delete the easy labyrinth?

The idea was nice, but your maze should've been smaller, perhaps 1 tile in size, and made of more than just plain white tiles. The map level should look like something, rather than just be a bland place to stick entrances. You didn't alter the map tiles at all, which was a pity, and you quickly gave way to Long Hall Syndrome. It would have been nice at half the size and with a bit more variety, maybe even some SGA letters?
shikadi's answer : whats the long hall syndrome? XD

Level 1: A good introduction, if you miss the mine, the DooM on you!
shikadi's answer: i don't see what you mean with this , missing the mine don't make you unable to complete the level , in the preview , you saw level 1 , and end the level near a bridge , cross that one and you are at the exit , no mine used

Level 2: Again basic and easy enough to do, but requires familiarity with Keen to complete quickly.

Level 3: Some nice jump puzzles, and a well placed Bot.

Level 4: A very open and structureless level, filled with randomness and uncertainty. A novel thing indeed and a challenge.

Level 5: Another simple level, with the Vorticon as the goal.

Level 6: A large, open level, and one that was fun to cheat at.
shikadi's answer : explain whats so funny to cheat

Level 7: A somewhat trickier level, but a bit plain.

Level 8: Some brilliant jumping\door tricks here, this level looks like a cross between Xky and KeenRush, possibly the best level in the game, despite its small size.
shikadi's answer:must i now say thanx?

Level 9: Kin to level 8, with some Scrubs thrown in. Larger, but only slightly easier, this was a good, robust level. It bought home to me how much some nice background tiles would spruce things up.

Level 10: Cute and simple, with a twist.

Level 11: The steel grey background is the sort of thing that should have been used in more levels; it adds variety to things and shows that eyecandy doesn't have to be that complex.

Level 12: A hell of a level to do, keeping you on your toes, very inventive.

Level 13: Again, good stuff.

Level 14: I see a bit of Keen 5 in this level, a good adaption of a QED level indeed. Somet ricky jumps and platforms, a good, challenging play.

Level 15: A bit tricky, I never did like aerial levels.

Level 16: Big, perhaps your second best level. An adaption of another QED masterpiece. There were some very nice tricks with bridges and platforms here, and though things were hard, they were not insurmountable. a fine ending to the mod indeed. (I like the level bottom trick.)
shikadi's answer: which bottom? i count 3 bottoms :p

TOTAL: 6.7/10; Not bad, not bad, but there's still so much potential.
shikadi's answer 6/10 from the levels? its that what you play

were the hints usefull? (i think they were not)
who would like some previews for dttv3?
look here

@tulip , is he still active? i did never seen him posting after i joined
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

he's not what you'd call active but I got an answer to my mail within a day.
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

to where most is send the mail?

also , i will need a playtester for dttv3 once its completed
levels are 99% completed , graphics 95% , story about 60%
levellass

Post by levellass »

I'm always glad to help. (That was a quick mod production!)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

to where most is send the mail?
Go to Memberlist and click on the email button for "adurdin"