New Mod: Onward: Silcar

Showcase your completed mod here!
levellass

Post by levellass »

Ah, excellent. If you need any help with the patches, do call; I have been working especially on a program to make sprites do... interesting things.

I thought I was really old...

Modding age, modding age; I have no idea of your physical duration, though it sounds similar to mine.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Thanks for your support,
and of course everyone may steal my keen graphics for any other mod, as i like to use other graphics in my mods. (I don't consider this stealing, it's more like a citation)

I already posted a patch request in the requested patches section for a patch that can change the speed of the keen 2 robot shots.

By the way "Modding Age"? I think I have never seen any Levellass mods have you done any?
levellass

Post by levellass »

My favourite is the Keen 4 one that won me an apogee CD, but I also like the Patchwork mods (That everyone else contributed to as well.)
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

speaking of which...
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

As I will soon release my second mod,
I decided to release an updated version of my first mod, for all who liked it.
It has some graphical changes, now the Gun and its shot is looking like it should... and I made a nicer helpfile with all the treasures in it...

Here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ikxpcudszs3
Last edited by Tulip on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Aaah, wonderful, nothing like a little update!
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

I finally got around to playing this one most of the way through. Haven't finished it yet, but I have to express my absolute astonishment at the color combinations used in this mod. :) Congratulations! Some of your tiles look incredible! In particular, I liked the smoky blue-grey tiles. You used GREY very well in this entire mod, as a matter of fact. Very nice!

The ground is constructed in a consistent way, and once you learn the quirks of the tileset (red balloons = fine, white = death?) it's pretty easy to tell what's going on.

My complaint, as usual, is with the sheer SIZE of levels 06, 13, and 14. Fourteen manages to escape too much criticism because most of the movement in the level is diagonal... but 06 and 13 are mind-bogglingly large. I opened them in an editor, and WOW. :) Far too large for me to handle.

You had a lot of interesting twists in there, too. Hopefully I'll get to see the ending soon. ;)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Thanks,
I appreciate that, especially from a modding hero!
The thing with what you call the red and white balloons was indeed a bit surprising I think. That's why I made my last update 1.2, where I made a new helpfile, there you have it explained. As most people won't read that help until after they died, the will at least know why :-)

It's interesting that a lot of people seem to be astonished of the level size, because I actually didn't change the size of the original Keen 1 levels...
anyway, the second mod hasn't got as big levels.
CaptainKeen

Post by CaptainKeen »

Finished it. I really like this mod. The graphics are really nice. A good use of color combinations. Alot of really nice bricks. And nice use of differnt backgrounds.

I think the levels are quiete challenging in a way. There aren't any specific jumps or anything that are hard, but in general I died alot from jumping on monster, most of them could have been prevented if I was really carefull though. I also died alot while trying to descend and falling on a danger tile or monster, It wasn't unavoidable, but it was generally hard to go down in your level in a safe way. What I really like about your levels is that you can go many ways and really have to explore them to find what you need. But they where generally too long, it's not that the size of the levels is the problem, it's that you have to do too many things before you can compleet them. Wich forces you to play really careful or you have to play all the way again if you die.

I really think you should put alot more high value pointst in your levels. I had to safe/load all the time because I would go game over in no time because I would die many times but often hardly get any new lives.

Your sprited where nice, especially the butler, also because he is now dangerous.

You hardly changed the world map. I really think you should have. Also some of the levels where partly the same as the original. Personally I don't like it. But that's just my opinion. The location of the teleporter wasn't changed at all! There is a patch for that to change te locations you know, theres really no excuse not to use it.

Other good things about this mod:

Good graphics, and a nice variation
It' really doesn't have alot of flaws
hardly any bugs
not too easy or too hard

Not so good about this mod:

Some levels/parts of levels where a little bit boring.
There's not really anything special in the mod.

6.8/10

bugs I found:

-the tiles behind the exit that change when you go through in some levels.
-In the final level, if you die you loose an item other then the item in that level. The items need to be in the same levels as in the original, or this kind of bad stuf happens.

One more thing that really blows out my mind and I see it in alot of mods. Why Why Why does Keen start without a pogo stick!!!!?!?!?? I really don't get it. Where did he loose it? How come he finds it again?

If you make a keen 1-3 mod again, I'd really like to beta test it, so tell me if you'r interested.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Thanks for the review, I always like them.
First of all I'm glad for anyone who's interested in my mods!
Thanks to anyone who played it.

It's right that I didn't change the world map much, it just didn't seem important to me to change the teleporters. I found it more interesting to change the maps graphical appearance, but you're right if you call me lazy because of this...

The bug with the exit tiles didn't bother me much because it changes nothing in the gameplay, and it will happen again in my second level, it's just because I build my exits too close to other objects.

Thanks for telling me about the bug with the Item in the last level, I didn't see that before.

I think you're right about the big levels, and the falling and dying stuff, and I hope I did that better in my second mod.

Thanks for your comments on points and difficulty, I'll try to remember that in my third mod.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Both the exit and items problems can be fixed with the following patches for Keen 1 (Keen 2&3 patches are also avalible.):

Code: Select all

#Exit tiles don't change when Keen exits
%patch $412E $00 #Exit tiles don't change.
%patch $4194 $90 #No change; Keen still disappears behind the door.
%patch $412F $90 #Only bottom door tile replaced
%patch $4130 $90 #Top door tile not replaced
%patch $4153 $90 #Bottom door tile not replaced
%patch $417E $90 #Top blank tile doesn't appear
%patch $41A7 $90 #Bottom blank tile doesn't appear

# Keen does not lose ship parts on dying in their levels. 
%patch $4F82 $90 $90 $90 $90 $90 $90 #Joystick
%patch $4F8A $90 $90 $90 $90 $90 $90 #Battery
%patch $4F92 $90 $90 $90 $90 $90 $90 #Vacum
%patch $4F9A $90 $90 $90 $90 $90 $90 #everclear
Cheers! :)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

THX,
applied and working.

Looks nicer indeed.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ikxpcudszs3

Alright here's a little update to Version 1.3, and I think this will be the final version.