Harvey's Mod II

Showcase your completed mod here!
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Harvey's Mod II

Post by levellord »

My goodness it's been a bit since I was last here...

Well, yesterday Sarah was around and about, and we got to looking around my old Keen folder, to shake out the cobwebs and play Keen Q, which reminded me a bit of an old collaborative project I'd done some months (Years?) back with ex-keener Harvey. As far as I was aware it was just a tileset, but it turned out we'd almost finnished an entire mod, how's that?

Well I thought to myself, I'd better see if I can post this, so a few short fixes later I came up with this: http://levellord.toxicsheep.com/Harvey2.zip

It is (Like both Harvey and me.) simple and crude. It has a rather plain tileset, that hearkens back to the early days of Keen modding (That admittedly I have yet to leave.) If you want 5 minutes of entertainment, download it, you might even enjoy a level or two.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Did you and levellass ever have luck with PMIII?
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

As a matter of fact she got some stuff off of me on friday, though I shouldn't expect much from her until after her wedding on the 10th.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Wow. This mod is somehow very refreshing. So many simple tricks that make for some pure fun. It just feels intuitive and... good. I'm especially impressed by that blue cloud theme. I'll be borrowing that effect for Monky Business (which is still cruising along), even though my tileset is practically full.

I notice my sound effects in there, it's nice that they're getting some use still.

Posted at Planet Keen.

Good to see you here again, too!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Interesting, I'll give it a whirl...

Edit: Indeed, it's not bad. The tileset is simple but I like it. But just how much is done by you and how much by Harvey, LL? To me it feels very LLisque, but perhaps you two have a similar style (which I doubt). Or perhaps I'm insane, as usually.

Some odd bugs there, one time when I finished 3rd, I think, level all but one of the rest of the levels got Done, and other time I destroyed one machine in a level, and finished the game with that. But perhaps it's intentional. Looks like I'll have to go to those levels one by one.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

This was cool. Very simple, but very cool.
I only played a few levels, but I've liked it so far.

A lot of it looked similar to Keen Q, which makes me wonder if you added the overlapping layers and stuff after playing it?
The bubble levels were nice, but kinda confusing (Keen 1-3 is NOT the best game for a round tileset...) I also liked the one maze level.
KeenRush wrote:But just how much is done by you and how much by Harvey, LL?
I was wondering the same thing. I think any of Harvey's (possible) skills were masked by his hyper-n00b-ish posts.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I remember this from a while back; at least seeing early levels; this has been far too long in coming, that's what happens when you get lazy. (*Cough!* KeenRush! *cough!*)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

But just how much is done by you and how much by Harvey, LL?
I did the first 4 levels and the maze level, about half the tileset and all the patches n' betatesting. Harvey did pretty much the rest.
A lot of it looked similar to Keen Q, which makes me wonder if you added the overlapping layers and stuff after playing it?
Nope, been that way for ages, though it is odd, 3D in a '2D' mod, but there you go.
Some odd bugs there, one time when I finished 3rd, I think, level all but one of the rest of the levels got Done, and other time I destroyed one machine in a level, and finished the game with that. But perhaps it's intentional. Looks like I'll have to go to those levels one by one.
Odd, very odd; that shouldn't happen; the cities patch is quite stable, and most of the others are standard. I never experienced such problems, but then again, they happen.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

This is cute :) I didn't really care for the solid-masking foreground tiles, but they did lend themselves to some interesting level designs. Thanks for posting it!

Okay, this is just silly:
After all the side-tracking and searching for the other keys, why put Purple literally on the same screen?

I can't even describe how much I hate jumps like this... :(
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Don't ask me, I did levels 1-4 and the maze.

Besides, I think there's room for oddities like this, why must a level be built on unbending logic and maximum efficiency? Isn't there room enough for a bit of slap-dash and vernacular? Surely people should be allowed some leniency.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hah, that jump is only one tile, and it's safe to fall on the same level... :D It's not that bad!

And yeah, my view is too that there can well be stuff that isn't that "logical" or such, I don't mind it, and I'm most of the time free of it myself.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Sorry for bumping this up.

I just finished playing this mod.
First of all I really enjoyed it, but there seemed to be two bugs which made the game only manageable by cheating.

1. in level 11 I'm sure it's intended to stand on the four scrubs in a row, but you always die of the spikes if you try to. You don't need to stand on them on your way down, but when you come up from fetching the keycard you'll have to cheat. Also the spikes on dark blue background aren't killing.

2. in level 9, which was the last I played, you invariably die, if you enter the exit. That's because it is too close to the border.

Has anyone else these problems, or found other bugs?

I presume levellord won't release an update for this mod, so I'll be happy to post a fixed version of this, with her (and harvey's) permission.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Well, Harvey's left as far as I'm aware, and Levellord, well, who knows where she is. You can if you want, and I don't think anyone will complain.