KeenQ

Showcase your completed mod here!
Joriz::

KeenQ

Post by Joriz:: »

I am proud to finally present my mod, Episode Q.

It's a rather challenging set of levels with many secrets.

Tell me what you think!

http://jspixelz.nl/054/keenq/

Image Image

Image Image

///Direct download///

Last edited by Joriz:: on Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
levellass

Post by levellass »

My goodness! Where to start?

Graphics: I didn't think that Keen 1-3 mods could teach me much more than what I've seen so far, but this one did; the way the foreground blocks work is wonderful and very inspiring. While tiles themselves were simple, they were utilized well and there was no detail overload. The game had a nice simple 'clean' feeling about it reminiscent of Benvolio's work (Though not his levels.) I liked the references to similar old time DOS games.

Gameplay: The levels were of varying degrees of complexity and difficulty, being reasonably challenging in my opinion (though I was a bit rusty to tell the truth.)

Story: Sticking to a similar tack to other mod stories, but with enough innovations to make this compelling to finish (The Judge, how many thought it was Mortimer when they read the story?)

Finishing touches: The high scores, credits and other screens were very nice, open and unique. You provided great documentation and well structured tips. The file system you used worked flawlessly each time. (It is possible to change the name of the finale file to a .CKQ extension also.)

Legality: Including Keen 2 with your mod is illegal, but nobody cares.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Wow! There's a lot of neat stuff in here. :)

I really like what you did with the foreground tiles--they're fantastic looking, and the way you implemented them is very creative. I liked the illusion of depth it gave.

On the other hand, the "yellow=good, blue=bad" level design was really frustrating. My jaw dropped when, in the very first level, I pogoed up and to the right, in front of what I thought was sky, and was slain.

It actually took me a complete game over to make it past the first Iax, because I had no ammo (I'd used my first shot to take out the first Zionabar, not sure what kind of beast he was) and I thought the Iax would kill me on touch... so I will admit I got rather frustrated, trying to time a move past the Iax, dodge his shots, and dodge the blue dome of death, all within the first two screens of the mod. After the first game over, however, the little Iax always spawned to the LEFT of that crowded area, which made avoiding him simple, especially considering he can't hurt on touch, which I later discovered.

Talk about learning curve, hmm? :) It took me forever to get used to the "blue=bad" thing, but I at least made it through to stop Dave before getting another game over.

I like the little shortcuts you put in for your players. Some of them aren't inherently obvious the first time through a level, and then you either fall down from a great height, or you arrive from a depth, and you say "Ohhh--THAT's how I can get here next time." (At least, such was my experience.)

Given that I more or less suck at Keen, and this is the first mod I've played in over a year, I'll say that I'm a little disappointed that you've turned cheats off; I'll see if I can get far enough to find them.

Overall, great presentation and creative ideas, with a solid challenge that I hope will appeal to KeenRush. :) Good work!!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

It certainly is appealing to me, I really like it. :) Although I have to say my skills are in serious rust, but I've completed it nonetheless. But that very small level with damn many danger tiles (hidden in the right bottom corner of the world map where you start) I haven't been able to complete. Gaaarg! It's insane. I replied to the topic about this at PCKF, by the way (this info to Joriz::).
The Shifted One

Post by The Shifted One »

While this mod is most certainly challenging overcoming the challenge also felt rewarding.
This mod got me some interest back in that old DOS game we call Keen :)

Il put some pros and cons on:

Pros:
Excellent level design
Difficulty set just right
Nice graphics

Cons:
Envoirmental hazards like the blue clouds do not look very harmfull
Sometimes a bit confusing
Very generous with points/ammo

In overall I can say you did a great job on it.
Now I will be back in my attempt to overcome "that" challenge :o
Go you! ;)
EricMushroomWilson

Post by EricMushroomWilson »

I saw this on the PCKF, but I didn't get around to playing it until now. It's pretty difficult, it seems.

Some thoughts so far: I like the use of a consistent colour scheme. I like some of the tiles in the second level that are kind of reminiscent of Crystal Caves. Was that an intentional reference?

It's very difficult though. Although my Keen-playing skills have got pretty rusty.

I agree about the blue "clouds" (are they clouds?) not really looking like they'd kill you. I knew ahead of time that they would, having read other people's comments on the mod, but I died anyway because I aimed a jump wrong.

I can't seem to get further than the second level, so I'll have to add more thoughts later when I do. So far, though, I think this is a pretty good mod.

The file system you used worked flawlessly each time.
I was warned by shadow Keen 2 :)
the way the foreground blocks work is wonderful and very inspiring.
I really like what you did with the foreground tiles--they're fantastic looking, and the way you implemented them is very creative. I liked the illusion of depth it gave.
Thanks guys, I like them too :)
I like the little shortcuts you put in for your players. Some of them aren't inherently obvious the first time through a level, and then you either fall down from a great height, or you arrive from a depth, and you say "Ohhh--THAT's how I can get here next time." (At least, such was my experience.)
Thanks for noticing that, it was my intention to build the levels so that you would never have to play them the same way twice. Every level is literally loaded with shortcuts, secrets, alternative paths, etc.
Given that I more or less suck at Keen, and this is the first mod I've played in over a year, I'll say that I'm a little disappointed that you've turned cheats off; I'll see if I can get far enough to find them.
You can find them in the secret areas in the top left corners of the two levels to the right, after you get passed the second level...
But that very small level with damn many danger tiles (hidden in the right bottom corner of the world map where you start)
I thought that would be a nice challenge for the die hards... you know there's a secret level too... Notice what happens to the first map screen when you reboot the game...
While this mod is most certainly challenging overcoming the challenge also felt rewarding.
That's what I was going for, that rewarding feeling that I could mostly feel in Keenrush's mods... Unfortunately it turned out much too hard for most players.

BTW, check out this guys duke nukem level pack at http://dosclassics.com/duke/downloads/dn1level.zip
I liked the references to similar old time DOS games.
I like some of the tiles in the second level that are kind of reminiscent of Crystal Caves. Was that an intentional reference?
I made reference to Prehistorik 2, using its McDonalds fries, and the spikes that pop out where inspired by the original Prince of Persia. The level in the top right corner of the map in particular also contains many tributes to other keen mods, similar dos games (have you found duke and cosmo?) as well as some newer home brewed games I enjoy. Nothing about Crystal Caves though, I never really liked that game except for the yorp reference :)

I'm sorry about the clouds guys... I should have made them animated...
are they clouds?
They are not, actually...
The Shifted One

Post by The Shifted One »

Hola Joriz::!

Its friendly of you to refer to my Duke Nukem level but this is Keen forum so I decided not to bother people with it.
Regardless if people enjoy the level PM me and Il send you some more I made.

I also didnt like to shoot down Duke ;), gunning down Yoshi was a pleasure tough :)
levellass

Post by levellass »

Private messaging is forbidden on this forum, isn't it? (I liked the level anyway, very challenging.)

I found that it was simple enough to enable the cheats for this mod simply by wiping their patches from the patchfiles.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Yes, but he even went through the trouble of masking their location within the patch file, to make them difficult to find. :P

Come on guys, just be a sport and find the cheats the legitimate way... If you have what it takes that is... :)

What's the point of playing with cheats anyway?

Also, to find the secret level, note what happens when you reboot the game...

XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Honestly, the point of playing with cheats is to see the mod in its entirety. I'm at school a lot; I work a lot; I've got a girlfriend, I've got homework, I've got other things to do. I can't devote a whole lot of time to this Keen thing these days, even if I really really want to. That means I'm not very good at the whole Keen thing anymore. So if I turn on a mod, and I can't get past level 1 without getting game over, chances are I need to cheat if I'm gonna see much more. It's no fun entering a level, walking two screens over, dying to an enemy with a gun, and rinse-repeat for three lives. Seriously! Maybe on my fourth or fifth life I get lucky and jump at the right time, or the pusher guy doesn't bulldoze me into the little blue dome of death. Yay. Now I'm at level two with one life in reserve. And this one's huge! Game over means I get to play through level one again. It took me two game overs to find out that the enemies with guns DON'T KILL YOU when they touch you. That made things a whole lot easier! :)

Anyway, if I could just give myself a little Invincibility, I could 1) explore your levels thoroughly, seeing where you put death traps, where you put enemies, where you put points. Look at the mod from a design standpoint. 2) See all of your levels! See all the graphics, the enemies, the gimmicks, the landscapes, the WORK you put into it. 3) See the ending sequence! Find out what happens to Keen--who's this mysterious judge, and what's up with the Vorticon in the game over screen?

If I've only got, say, 60 minutes to play your mod, and I spend the first 30 of them puzzling my way past the first two levels, and I can't cheat, chances are that's as much of the mod as I'm ever going to see. That sounds really harsh and mean and stupid, but that's as far as I'm ever going to get... until I mysteriously find myself with a few hours free, in which case I may or may not come back to the mod.

Honestly, man, I just wanna see your mod--all of it. I know I suck at this Keen thing; my own mods stand as a testament to my own Keening skills... they're considered "easy" by most of the community. I'd rather cheat my way through and see all there is to see and be impressed by the whole package, than struggle through a handful of levels, dying in the same place ten times, and walk away frustrated at the presentation.

Cheating doesn't spoil the game experience for me; it rounds it out. :)

Edit: Thank you for showing where the cheats can be found: I promise I'll go hunting, next time I get a chance.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Yes, but he even went through the trouble of masking their location within the patch file, to make them difficult to find. :P
A simple search for the location will give you the cheat, and if you can't be bothered with that, just add the default patch to the end of the patchfile ;)

I tried hunting for the cheats, but only found God Mode. However I did get a good way through the game before having to resort to it. (I neglect my boyfriend and homework.)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

This mod is evil, it reminds me of old mayonnaise and it's levels are absolutely huge.

Loved it, bloody loved it; it's a testament to mod making.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

This is really nice. I love some of the level design (SPOILER: Like the bridges that are used to get to the god mode cheat...)
Every level felt big and open, good for exploration, which was cool. The metal parts made me think of AvK.
The last level was cool, and reminded me of Super Mario Bros, with that final "boss" (was that where you got the idea?)

I'm still trying to figure out how to get into the secret level. I can see that the block moved, but I still don't know what to do.

You also seemed to use patches and methods that I didn't even know existed!! How did you get the world map to change? And your bridges seem to be two blocks tall... How did you do that?

The graphics were cool. Some of them remind me of the older mods, while others are more in the style of modern mods.

So basically, this is a great mod, possibly one of my favorites to play.

And I loved that golden raygun thing... I got so much ammo from it. :-D