KeenQ

Showcase your completed mod here!
levellass

Post by levellass »

Check the .COM file, it's cleverly done, you could do a similar thing with a .BAT file, first time it's run look to see if the game has been loaded already, if so, rename a few files and change the levels. Indeed I'm using this method myself to change the levels in a mod I'm working on.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

That's what I thought. Its a really clever idea.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Okay, I wanted to elaborate a little about this mod, because I feel like I've been a jerk about it.

This is a well put together mod! :) I really like the tile design, the unification of story and levels, and the clear playtesting that went into it. You did a great job of presenting a thoroughly realized package. :)

Here's some specific things I want to talk about:
I feel like the cans here weren't really necessary. I like the cans when they're used for "once you've made it to the other side, you get a quick route back," but who is going to use the quick route back to THIS part of the level? :(

Similarly, the floating single brick in mid-air next to the gun is just cruel. We can't get through there, but it LOOKS like we might be able to, at first glance. :) Very mean.

THIS is the main reason I wanted to post about this mod. What is this!? Why did you do this!? :( Is there any way out, except that far right drop?

Still a well-presented mod, though. :)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

I like the cans, you can always get them, and they provide eyecandy.

The birck-gun arrangement looks impossible to me from all angles and glances; there's only a one tile way through, anyone can tell that.

But I do hate the drops, my goodness yes. I know *exactly* what I shall put in if I ever make another mod.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

It's all personal opinion, I realize :) I'll take it down if it sounds too preachy.
The Shifted One

Post by The Shifted One »

genius314 wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how to get into the secret level. I can see that the block moved, but I still don't know what to do.
This may spoil some fun for others still searching so...
Select the lower area to make it visible, but thats only with the forum skin Im using (I dont know if theres others to be honest).

If that rock is placed on the lower area of the planet walk to it and save your game there.
Restart the program and load your saved game, that rock will now be above you so you can freely continue your path to the level.
Repeat the same process for going back to the main part of the map.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Love it, freakin' love it.
Joriz::

Post by Joriz:: »

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really apreciate it.
This mod is evil, it reminds me of old mayonnaise and it's levels are absolutely huge.

Loved it, bloody loved it; it's a testament to mod making.
Thanks.
The last level was cool, and reminded me of Super Mario Bros, with that final "boss" (was that where you got the idea?)

Yup, that's somewhat of a reference to how Bowser meets his end.
your bridges seem to be two blocks tall... How did you do that?
They seem like that, because the bridges are one way ups with hidden one way downs on top of them. Those are always there, they just look the same as the regular old dark grey tiles... Glad I could fool you :)

Nice to see that people can actually reach those secrets like the godmode cheat and that special gun... I was afraid maybe I hid them a little too much.

Yes, changing the levels with the .com file is a clever technique, Karz came up with it and first introduced it in KeenK, the level that resembles the impossible maze from Keen3 is different every time. I was planning to do this for my second level as well, to make it apear random, but I was too lazy...

Xky, please don't hesitate to criticize or question my design, you have well proven to know what you are talking about. I'm glad you are willing to discuss my mod in such detail. Let's see...
I feel like the cans here weren't really necessary. I like the cans when they're used for "once you've made it to the other side, you get a quick route back," but who is going to use the quick route back to THIS part of the level? :(

The point of that was to create a place that could be reached from both the beginning and the ending of the level, without actually providing a shortcut. I think you have to see it to know what I'm talking about, but it works both ways: Not only do the cans prevent you from cutting to the exit, the force field also prevents you from going back to the beginning in case you reach the other side of the cans but forgot to take out the Iax. Yet you can always get to the chips bags. I thought this kind of 'twilight zone' would make the level a bit more dynamic.

And yes, you would want to go back from the ending because you can find well over a life's worth of chips bags there. Also this way you get to see the Iax in case you missed it.
Similarly, the floating single brick in mid-air next to the gun is just cruel. We can't get through there, but it LOOKS like we might be able to, at first glance. :) Very mean.
Does it really?
THIS is the main reason I wanted to post about this mod. What is this!? Why did you do this!? :( Is there any way out, except that far right drop?
There isn't... I made that part of the level a long time ago, and I guess I thought it was kind of funny to force the player to kill themselves only for them to realize theyre still alive... Also it was kind of a trade off, you get lots of lives but youll have to start over the level. I'll add a way out in the next release, because this is kind of cruel.

Seems like you have been playing that level a lot huh, you should try the others, they're better :) Btw, do you want me to email the cheats?

Oh and Xky, did you know you are in my mod?

XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

The secret level is awesome--I'm a big fan of screen-width levels, and the "descent" feel to it was superb. Was there any way to glean the "correct" setup for the switches at the start, though? I felt like it was pretty trial and error, and it sucked to make it something like 60% down only to get stuck on the lasers facing the wrong way with 8 Iax gunning at me. :)

I have to really compliment you on the drop section with the spikes on the left, if you choose to pursue the ammo--that is really solidly put together, and it draws the player into the right places while keeping the danger apparent. Great job!
Benvolio

a response

Post by Benvolio »

i liked that reference to Benvolio above, but the main parallel between Joriz and Benvolio is the sudden stealthy unleashing of moddage on the modding world! many times in the past year i have briefly checked the forum to see if anything new had been done... this is the first pleasant surprise i've had!

a lot of work definately put into this. however i see aspects of this mod counteracting the ethos that you described in 'About Joriz'. It is your opinion, for which I have much respect, that a mod is about being a work of art as opposed to being about gameplay. Indeed, between iD software and a few gods like Xky and Xtraverse, the possibilities of gameplay variety in Keen were largely exhausted. However, i believe that a mod in which Art is prioritised should have considerable ease in its gameplay to let a player who has limited time, such as myself, to explore it.

To an extent this might seem like hypocrisy, looking at my own mods, but then again I also had some interest in the gameplay when making them.

But to come back to KeenQ, there's definitely a lot to be praised and i hope i'll find time to return to it, having given it one of my brief study-breaks today. It contains some rather-too-well-concelaed deaths, and the odd un-replaced Keen2 tile, but then again so do many mods. also that nicely placed bottom-right-corner level at the start has a few dodgily placed tiles, maybe a fix could be made!
Joriz::

Post by Joriz:: »

I know six months is generally considered late to answer, but i'm in a forum posting mood today so..
a lot of work definately put into this. however i see aspects of this mod counteracting the ethos that you described in 'About Joriz'. It is your opinion, for which I have much respect, that a mod is about being a work of art as opposed to being about gameplay. Indeed, between iD software and a few gods like Xky and Xtraverse, the possibilities of gameplay variety in Keen were largely exhausted. However, i believe that a mod in which Art is prioritised should have considerable ease in its gameplay to let a player who has limited time, such as myself, to explore it.
I think you misunderstood what I wrote there. I didn't say that a mod is about being a work of art as opposed to being about gameplay. Quite on the contrary, I think digital games should focus on gameplay rather than anything else, and if they would, they could be a real art form. And I think the modding community is a good example of how it should be done.

Yes, my mod is definitely to hard to be enjoyed by the larger audience, but then again, it was created for the hardcore keen fans who know this game at heart. Only they can truly apreciate what I've made, and hopefully they do.

Check out my latest game: http://jspixelz.nl/pointzero/
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

i finnaly done this mod

but have one question , are there 8 iax?
i only found 6 + that vorticon

i found the level with the first tantalus ray the hardest of them all , and i found that strange
CaptainKeen

Post by CaptainKeen »

There are 7 iax total, as it's said in the story. And the vorticon isn't an iax himself ofcourse, he doesn't count.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I think Shikadi is right,
the first Iax level is really hard, I had to play that one several times until I finally got through with it. It almost killed my spirit but afterwards this mod is really awesome!
While being one of the most challengeing mods around it is still a lot of fun to play, and after I've played it through I even tried some of those impossible little levels, like the one in the corner near the start.

This mod is a must: Its got a good story, keen-quality graphics and above all it's flawless in terms of bugs.
CaptainKeen

Post by CaptainKeen »

the very first Iax level? the one thats also the first blocking level. Where the Iax is called Dave. Is that the level you're talking about? In that cause I find it really strange that you found that level harder than the others, I find it easy compared to other Iax levels.

And yea I agree this is one of the better mods. And it is hard, and that, if it's in a fair way, like it mostly is in his mod, is a good thing imo.

The graphics are also good. I only find it to bad that there are some graphics stil from the orginal, although edited. If all the graphics where new it would have been just a bit better imo.

the small level in the beginning is REALLY hard. I did finish it though, after like 100 tries.