Taming Vortlev

Anything related to Keen Modding.
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

A marvelous utility with nigh-limitless functionality that is in extensive use all over the world: Photoshop.

And seriously, photoshop's interface is one of the best I've ever seen for a "do-everything" sort of application. A toolbox with basic tools, and a magically changing toolbar with options for the current tool, and a bunch of seperate panes with other stuff in them - it need not (indeed, probably shouldn't) all float, and this may be way over the top for the level of complexity any Keen editor would need, but that's my thought.

Vox is... Coming... (Slowly...)
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

BUMP

Here's my drawing of my ideal interface (if you wonder what some stuff is, just ask):

http://home.mchsi.com/~bootsisbig/vortlev.bmp

I also incorporated some things that other people wanted. This would be the best editor ever (for me) if it was like my drawing (except looking a lot better :P).
TrueDude

Post by TrueDude »

I'd check out popular modding utilities for other games. I used to do a lot of Sonic modding, they're some good editors there. Whatever you do, make sure that it's easy to use.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Haha. Happy 3rd birthday to this topic.

Cheers. Some useful ideas there. Hmm, maybe I could start creating a tab system, so it doesn't have to have all those things visible at the bottom at once.

The magic tile window will fit best in the tileset area on the right, and will probably function similarly to editing a level. Might even add the ability to edit it in the level editing area.
Flyingmouse

Post by Flyingmouse »

I'd check out popular modding utilities for other games. I used to do a lot of Sonic modding, they're some good editors there. Whatever you do, make sure that it's easy to use.
This is off topic, but what editors do you use for Sonic modding? I can't find any good editors when I looked.
TrueDude

Post by TrueDude »

Flyingmouse wrote:
This is off topic, but what editors do you use for Sonic modding? I can't find any good editors when I looked.
You can find a rather good list of them here:

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Hacking_Utilities

I should warn, the site outside of most of it's wiki articles can be VERY vulgar. Especially the forums.