Which level editor do you prefer?

Anything related to Keen Modding.

The level editor you use?

adurdin's KeenEdit for DOS (aka KeenWright)
45%
adurdin's KeenWright for Windows
18%
Keen Make-Over
No votes
Keen Rehash
9%
original KeenEdit
No votes
Some other (??)
27%

Total votes: 22

KeenRush
Patch Maker

Which level editor do you prefer?

Post by KeenRush »

Just a question that has been in my mind for a long time, but never asked.. Pick your choice.
XkyRauh

re: editor

Post by XkyRauh »

I've been happily using the Windows-beta version of KeenWright--and it's only caused me one issue, ever... and that was remedied because I had to use the DOS-based version of KeenWright to add switch data anyway. The only other editor I've used before that was the old ASCII-representation editor that I built the Ice Factory level in. :-) I'll probably be using the Windows-beta KeenWright to do most of the levels for XkyKeen3, but once XkyKeen4 gets on the bench, I think it'll be all about TED5.

--Xky
CommanderSpleen

Editimificationness!

Post by CommanderSpleen »

I use the Windows version of KeenWright most of the time, and only really use KeenEdit DOS for adding sprite data. However, I gave it a try a couple of months ago when I was experimenting with some new graphics (which you won't see in the beta except in the previews). It works really well.

The reason I came back to KeenWright recently was that I didn't feel like scrolling around on a low resolution to edit my existing levels, since they're sprawling and confusing. I'll probably go back to KeenEdit when I get back to work on the full release.

Mmm... XkyKeen4... *tries to imagine... implodes brain*

>Commander Spleen
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

I use Keenwrigt [Which has always been Keenedit on my computer.] because it has a user friendly interface. There is no tedius clicking, just simple scrolling. The levels are full size as it were, tiles can be easily customized, switches can be done simply, and the editor itself has a keeny feel to it.

I used the origional text based editor for my first few levels, and that was certainly odd.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

^ Same here, with that KeenEdit (aka DOS KeenWright).

Also, my first level making experience was to use that character based KeenEdit. :) I made couple of levels with that (too bad I don't have them anymore, would be nice to have the very first levels saved somewhere). The feeling was awesome, since I had always wanted to edit Keen levels when I was a kid.. :) "Wow, this is a new level!!!1"
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

^ When I got the text based editor, I thought the sun shone out of its BAT file. I used it for over a year and could knock up a level in less than an hour.
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

I'd be scared if someone was using anything below the top two choices.
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

I personally use DOS Keenwrite for all my actual editing; Windoze Keenwrite is relegated to previewing, resizing, and performing other such mundane tasks, as it simply does not have the editing power I need. I have used KMO (yick), Rehash (slooow) and the old text-based Keenedit, which despite its usability flaws is quite powerful. Of course, TED5 rules over all of them, but it is relegated to Keens 4-6. *sigh*

As far as user-friendlyness goes, I find that TED5 (once you get it started, if you're not using XP) is the best. DOS apps have the neccesary DOS handicaps (though Keenwrite works around them well), KMO doesn't require explanation, and Windoze Keenwrite doesn't write its *.ini file correctly, and bugs me to (re)enter the paths each time I open it.
Bounderball

Post by Bounderball »

IKeen!
grafix

GargarG!

Post by grafix »

Of course, that wasn't out when this poll was posted. iKeen basically replaces Keen Rehash with a good editor. LOL.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

NOO!! MINDBELT RULES!!

It has everything a modder might want, don't ya think?
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Well, I didn't expect anyone to have voted for it, considering that it didn't exist 5 years ago! :-P
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Oh, sorry about bump. I can't resist (I don't read time/date stamp).
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

threads that are not on the first page are usually (always!!!!) older then a year (or 3)
Bonevelous

Post by Bonevelous »

I personally like mindbelt, but I guess if I knew how to make KeenEdit use my custom tiles, that would be better... Dunno... S:-|