Abiathar won't save ....

Anything related to Keen Modding.
SylkaChan

Abiathar won't save ....

Post by SylkaChan »

Abiathar won't save on either of my computers. I am currently using a Windows XP computer, and have all the required software. My older computer was a laptop with Windows 10 and it did the same thing there.

If i close, i know i will loose most of my data.
Error Saving!

It's possible that some files were partially saved and may be corrupted. Save before closing to ensure consistent data.

An error log was saved to ....
Fleexy
Site Admin

Re: Abiathar won't save ....

Post by Fleexy »

Welcome to Keen Modding!

Could you please paste the contents of the error log file here? Note that you could try to save the modified levels as single-level files using Level | Export, but if that fails too, Abiathar will crash altogether, so you probably shouldn't attempt that unless you have no other choice.
SylkaChan

Post by SylkaChan »

Fleexy wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:47 pm Welcome to Keen Modding!

Could you please paste the contents of the error log file here? Note that you could try to save the modified levels as single-level files using Level | Export, but if that fails too, Abiathar will crash altogether, so you probably shouldn't attempt that unless you have no other choice.
The quote i put at the bottom.

Why doesn't it work on my computer? It's supposed to work on Windows 7 and that is what i have. I'll try exporting them ....
SylkaChan

Post by SylkaChan »

It crashed on the 10th one before i can export my files. I lost most of my maps but i never made actual maps yet, i was just naming them.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Ah, perhaps I was unclear. You did indeed post the error message, but there is a more informative error log file that was saved to the disk. Its name is given in the error message. Please post the contents of that file so I can see exactly what's going wrong. Did your names use any non-ASCII characters? It's possible that there's a bug encoding those.
SylkaChan

Post by SylkaChan »

Fleexy wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:58 pm Ah, perhaps I was unclear. You did indeed post the error message, but there is a more informative error log file that was saved to the disk. Its name is given in the error message. Please post the contents of that file so I can see exactly what's going wrong. Did your names use any non-ASCII characters? It's possible that there's a bug encoding those.
It saves when i load it again, but whenever i add a new level it won't save anymore. Right now it crashes for Map10 for some strange reason.

What programs (Windows 7) does this program require? I have the one listed on it's website.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Abiathar shouldn't require any other programs installed. (It needs the .NET Framework, but if you have Abiathar running at all, you have .NET.) What did you name the new level? Which game are you editing? If you could post the contents of that log file - assuming it exists - that would be very helpful.
SylkaChan

Post by SylkaChan »

Fleexy wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:05 pm Abiathar shouldn't require any other programs installed. (It needs the .NET Framework, but if you have Abiathar running at all, you have .NET.) What did you name the new level? Which game are you editing? If you could post the contents of that log file - assuming it exists - that would be very helpful.
Most of my names for the levels come from either the original game or other mods. The names are simple with letters and spaces.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

OK, I just tested with a bunch of different kinds of characters. Some non-ASCII characters get lost and converted to question marks (a minor bug), but I can't get Abiathar to crash by renaming levels.

Could you please provide a list of specific steps that triggers the error? Please include what game you're editing and an example of a new level name.

Again, the contents of the error log file mentioned in the error message would be very helpful for us. You can open it with a text editor like Notepad. Please copy and paste the entirety of the file into a post here.
SylkaChan

Post by SylkaChan »

Fleexy wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:29 pm OK, I just tested with a bunch of different kinds of characters. Some non-ASCII characters get lost and converted to question marks (a minor bug), but I can't get Abiathar to crash by renaming levels.

Could you please provide a list of specific steps that triggers the error? Please include what game you're editing and an example of a new level name.

Again, the contents of the error log file mentioned in the error message would be very helpful for us. You can open it with a text editor like Notepad. Please copy and paste the entirety of the file into a post here.
I get the error from hitting "Save". Is there another way to save it? Other than that it sometimes crashes if i export the levels. I can't get it to crash again because i would need to make a map again. The error message, i already put it in quotes above.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Ah, I meant to ask for the entire series of steps, from beginning to the crash. Using the Save command is the only way to save.

Indeed, I saw that you posted the error message. It gives the name of an error log file. Right after it says "An error log was saved to", it shows a file name. Please open that file in a text editor, then copy and paste its contents. The information in that file - not in the error message pop-up - will tell me what went wrong. Without that or a series of steps to reproduce the issue, I have no way to troubleshoot.
SylkaChan

Post by SylkaChan »

Fleexy wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:40 pm Ah, I meant to ask for the entire series of steps, from beginning to the crash. Using the Save command is the only way to save.

Indeed, I saw that you posted the error message. It gives the name of an error log file. Right after it says "An error log was saved to", it shows a file name. Please open that file in a text editor, then copy and paste its contents. The information in that file - not in the error message pop-up - will tell me what went wrong. Without that or a series of steps to reproduce the issue, I have no way to troubleshoot.
Is there a limit how many maps are allowed? I was going to have 33 ......

ERROR MESSAGE
Oh! Death!

Abiathar has crashed! Your levels are intact.

Would you like to save them in their current state? Making a backup is strongly advisable.
On Map16
Last edited by SylkaChan on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Depends on the game - which game/episode are you editing?
SylkaChan

Post by SylkaChan »

Fleexy wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:50 pm Depends on the game - which game/episode are you editing?
Just Keen 4
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Thank you. Abiathar can handle up to 99 levels, but the game will only be able to access up to 18. This can be patched up to 24, but that is a little tricky.

Is "Map16" the name of the level? What exactly were you doing when you received that error message? When Abiathar crashes, it leaves a more detailed error report file (.aerrl) in the same folder. This is similar to the save error report files. Please find either such file, open it in a text editor, and post its contents.