Abiathar won't save ....

Anything related to Keen Modding.
SylkaChan

Re: Abiathar won't save ....

Post by SylkaChan »

Fleexy wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:05 pm Thank you. Abiathar can handle up to 99 levels, but the game will only be able to access up to 18. This can be patched up to 24, but that is a little tricky.

Is "Map16" the name of the level? What exactly were you doing when you received that error message? When Abiathar crashes, it leaves a more detailed error report file (.aerrl) in the same folder. This is similar to the save error report files. Please find either such file, open it in a text editor, and post its contents.
No, it was named "Descendants Cave".

Why only 24 after the patch? Why is there a limit at all? Is it possible to make more than one episode in the same game/mod?
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

strange enough when I force version 2.11 to crash I won't receive an .aerrl error report file a file as well...
just the standard error pop up, but that's it...

Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

The game developers arbitrarily decided to set the "max levels" constant to 24. When the code was compiled, a bunch of important arrays became fixed at that length, even if not all their space is used. It's not really possible to extend beyond 24 because those arrays would have to be resized and a bunch of stuff would have to be moved, and then a ton of other stuff would need to be adjusted to point to the right place inside the executable. It's easier to work around game limits when sourcemodding, but this introduces some other interesting challenges. It is possible to move some graphics from one episode to another, but getting two entire episodes' worth of assets and code into one game would be infeasible.

Nisaba: Indeed, the "out of memory" crash is somewhat special, since there's no crashing code to pinpoint. Therefore, it doesn't use the same error reporting code.
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

@Fleex
Ah, I see. So my post was contra productive. I'm sorry about that.

@SylkaChan
Please open the folder where Abiathar is installed on your computer. If you could, please make a screenshot of this folder and share it with us. Alternatively you can post a list off all files you can find in this very folder.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Fleexy wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:02 am The game developers arbitrarily decided to set the "max levels" constant to 24.
I made a quick mod with 86 levels. I've got one currently with 72 and another with 35. Note that because of array issues level 30 can't be accessed in Keen 4.

Also level 14 of my 35 level project has just enough animating tiles in it to crash the game (Black screen, no error.) but not trip Abithar's warning.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Hi Levellass! Indeed, I should clarify that 24 is the upper limit on levels that will act normally with regard to completion marking. (Or can some amazing patching be done to expand that too?) How many animating tiles are there exactly? I might need to tune the warning thresholds a bit.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Really? Well that can probably be easily patched. I know the marking code and it's not that complex.

I could send you the level (With ileinfo) and you could check. Interestingly at that point simply adding an animated tile that other tiles in the level animate to, BUT which isn't present in the level initially causes a crash.